Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Celtic Mandolin Builders

Default Re: Celtic Mandolin Builders

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to seankeegan For This Useful Post:

I just received a Richard Beard from the MC classifieds that I'm quite enamored with. This is the first example of his that I've played but the neck is a nice middle ground between my Webers and the Kentucky, The Loar & TC versions that were only passing through

I strongly recommend Rory Dowling’s Taran Springwell.
    I live in a climate very unlike Rory’s neck of the woods. Today it is about 45*C/113*F with next to zero humidity. Rory ensured that every time he worked on my instrument it wasn’t raining, humidity was cranked as far down in the workshop as possible, etc with ample time to let the wood rest.
    I ordered the Springwell in Scottish Sycamore due to the CITES ban on certain woods. It was about $150USD more for this wood but it is very beautiful to look at and the tone is amazing.
    The Springwell mandolins are not cheap, but it is more affordable than Sobel or Forster, and you’re getting an instrument that is in the same league as those.

If you can’t afford a Taran Springwell I would also second the Red Valley option. I had one of his octave mandolins for a few years. I was in Seattle and stumbled upon a shop called Dusty Strings that he used to work in and impulse purchased the OM. Great instruments and I see now that he has a wide-body “onion shaped” mandolin that seems like it would be a great alternative.

5. The following members say thank you to Boatswain for this post:

Wow Sean......you're a killer player!! You've got an Ellis AND a Girouard?? Excellent choices! Thanks to all for the great info. I narrowed my choices and am working on placing an order. Will report back when the details are finalized.

Cas Davey's instruments look really nice. Based in Cornwall.

And Frank Tate's stuff sounds great. I saw your clip Sean. Fantastic!

It seems to me we are in a new age of Irish mandolin playing, with a lot of very good younger players like Sean, Macdara and Ye Vagabonds. I've been enjoying checking out their videos on Facebook.
    David A. Gordon

Thanks for your kind words.

Yeah Frank's instruments are great. Colm Naughton is a great player and he started posting a few videos on FB at the start of lockdown. He's playing one of Frank's. I don't think you need to be a 'friend' to be able to view it. I don't think they're on YouTube.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...sn=mo&d=n&vh=i

Also Eamon O'Leary, one half of The Murphy Beds plays a Frank Tate bouzouki.

Thanks a million to everyone that has contributed to this thread. It was a wonderful learning experience! After much consideration I decided to order a flattop from Lawrence Nyberg. He has a stellar reputation building CBOM instruments and agreed to take on my project. We're going with flamed Claro Walnut and a cedar top along with a few nice adornment details. Looking forward to it!!

10. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

Congrats! Please do keep us posted with updates and info. I've not had the pleasure of trying his instruments, but checked out his website and clips on YouTube. They look and sound great!

12. The following members say thank you to seankeegan for this post:

A quick mention of Dave Shapiro in Co. Kerry (can't find a website for him, but here are a few recommendations from The Session https://thesession.org/discussions/30256 https://thesession.org/discussions/35375#comment748425 https://thesession.org/discussions/23550#comment489233 )

...and Richard Osborne in Wales http://www.osborneguitars.co.uk

Both build great (and very different) mandolins and are splendid chaps... and if you feel inclined to build your own mandolin (guitar, bouzouki, mandola etc.), Richard runs residential courses.

...I see Dave Shapiro was mentioned earlier in the thread by Sean Keegan.