Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should Bryan Kimsey scallop my guitar?

Default Re: Should Bryan Kimsey scallop my guitar?

Tried(not very hard) to stay out of this discussion since I know so little of the topic at hand.

I am very favorably impressed with the knowledge and experience being shared here so freely. Thanks to all posters.

2007 I was in New Mexico. Dropped off a '69(?) D-12-35 at Bryan Kimsey's shop.
    It needed some set-up TLC. From what I can read of the worksheet provided he:
    reset the neck,
    removed and reglued the bridge,
    replaced (gigantic) rosewood bridge plate with maple
    removed and rebraced(?) popsicle
    adjusted individual strings in the nut
    crowned and polished frets

I wish I knew how to post pics of the zip lock baggie full of material that was removed from the top. It's a lot!
    And it looks to me like it was done so cleanly. Just little whiskers of spruce clinging to the bridge plate. And then only in a few areas.

My 12-stringer is always tuned down 1/2 step. It has remained as nicely playable as any 12-string can be for
    well over a decade.

Mr.Kimsey did a world of good for that guitar. The price was very reasonable too.

Glad I had that work done. It is a true belly-piano.

I like that he provided a worksheet with what was done and the cost per each action.

Whether or not you decide to have your guitar scalloped you can rest assured it is in good hands
    with Bryan Kimsey.

Again,I am awed at the shared experiences and knowledge of the luthiers here on the Cafe.

Luthiers perform critical duties in their work. Seems even more precious these days.

2. The following members say thank you to V70416 for this post:

Buck