Thread: New Buckeye “A” model

Default New Buckeye “A” model

Pete Hart has started making A models. I have a pretty significant birthday coming up, and I contacted Pete to ask if he would build an A for me. (My loving wife asked what I wanted for my birthday, and gave me free rein to choose something). I have an F-5 Buckeye which I dearly love.

Turns out he had recently starting building A’s and had one nearing completion, so I got an early birthday present - number 020A04, meaning the 4th A he built, completed in 2020.

I could go on and on about the tone and quality, but I’ll sum it up by just saying “WOW!”.
    Pete is an incredibly talented builder, and just an overall great guy. I feel very fortunate to have come across Pete’s mandolins a few years back, via Barry Mitterhoff (Thanks, Barry!)

Default Re: New Buckeye “A” model

Photos please.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

We need pics!

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Congratulations. While I had my mind set on a Stiver, a Buckeye was always on my radar as all that I have seen left a very positive impression upon me. I, too, wanted an A style.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Pictures or it didn't happen! Also sound file, if you can.

6. The following members say thank you to John Soper for this post:

OK, OK, I’ll post pics and a sound file as soon as I can. I’m in the middle of a move, so it may be a couple of days. Check back in a few days.

(Also, I’m not very adept technologically, so can someone tell me how to post photos/sound files on the forum?).

BTW, there is a Buckeye F-5 (1997) in the Classifieds, posted on 6/20/20, if anyone’s interested. I would have bought it if not for the A already in process.

8. The following members say thank you to Jim Mullins for this post:

Hey Jim,
    Congrats on your new Buckeye, and I hope your move goes smoothly.

To post a photo click on "go advanced" mode rather than "post quick reply" so you can see more options to respond. In "go advanced" you will see the paperclip icon in the right, top line. Click on that and you can download photos from your files.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mullins View Post
    OK, OK, I’ll post pics and a sound file as soon as I can. I’m in the middle of a move, so it may be a couple of days. Check back in a few days.

(Also, I’m not very adept technologically, so can someone tell me how to post photos/sound files on the forum?).

BTW, there is a Buckeye F-5 (1997) in the Classifieds, posted on 6/20/20, if anyone’s interested. I would have bought it if not for the A already in process.
    There is also a 2002 model (F style) listed in the Classifieds.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Congrats! I'm excited to see how it turns out!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Albion, NY (between Buffalo and Rochester

Congrats on the new acquisition! I am the proud owner of last year's Buckeye A model. It is beautiful, but the sound is what truly amazes. Pete Hart himself was surprised at what a "firecracker" it turned out to be after opening up. I was so pleased I turned around and ordered an F this year, which I've been playing for about three weeks now. You really can't beat a Buckeye! I also came to be a Buckeye believer listening to Barry Mitterhoff. I think Pete has cured my MAS, at the same time making it impossible for me to be happy playing mandolins I used to be quite happy with.
    I hope you enjoy your A as much as I do mine. I find it has a little less than the F in the low end, but still well-balanced and very punchy. Half the pleasure of getting a mando from Pete is just getting to know him and his wife - great people!

My #55 F5 just turned 10 years old. What a monster. I’m hoping for Pete’s A model at some point. I’m looking forward seeing pics.
    Bob
    re simmers

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Hey Jim,
    Congrats on your new Buckeye, and I hope your move goes smoothly.

To post a photo click on "go advanced" mode rather than "post quick reply" so you can see more options to respond. In "go advanced" you will see the paperclip icon in the right, top line. Click on that and you can download photos from your files.
    Thanks, Charles!

Quote Originally Posted by re simmers View Post
    My #55 F5 just turned 10 years old. What a monster. I’m hoping for Pete’s A model at some point. I’m looking forward seeing pics.
    Bob
    My F5 is #63 - eight years old. Getting better all the time, to paraphrase Paul McCartney (well known mandolinist, among other accomplishments).

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Tynan View Post
    Congrats on the new acquisition! I am the proud owner of last year's Buckeye A model. It is beautiful, but the sound is what truly amazes. Pete Hart himself was surprised at what a "firecracker" it turned out to be after opening up. I was so pleased I turned around and ordered an F this year, which I've been playing for about three weeks now. You really can't beat a Buckeye! I also came to be a Buckeye believer listening to Barry Mitterhoff. I think Pete has cured my MAS, at the same time making it impossible for me to be happy playing mandolins I used to be quite happy with.
    I hope you enjoy your A as much as I do mine. I find it has a little less than the F in the low end, but still well-balanced and very punchy. Half the pleasure of getting a mando from Pete is just getting to know him and his wife - great people!
    Very cool! I agree with all of your comments. I was surprised by the A’s tone and volume. Really suits old time, Celtic, etc. tunes, which are my favorites. I also have recovered from MAS as a result of having the Buckeye’s.

Congrats, Jim!

Pete worked hard to make #87 right for me and I think it's a near perfect acoustic machine. While it has really has cured my MAS, I'm now lobbying him to build me a small archtop guitar. So far I've been unsuccessful but I can't help but wonder what kind of magic he could do if given the chance...
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.