Thread: sanding/scratching picks for better grip

Default sanding/scratching picks for better grip

Anyone else do this to add more grip on smooth, slippery picks?

Default Re: sanding/scratching picks for better grip

I've done it, but frankly the better answer is Monster Grips. I don't know why I waited so long to get them. It's the answer to my problem of twisting, loose picks. You can get them at Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Grips...3049218&sr=8-1

For myself, I have come to believe "slippery" picks is an issue solved by improving picking and pick/hold technique. As a rank neophyte my experience is that all playing woes will solve themselves by focusing on improving technique. That does not mean to say that sanding, hole drilling, of Gorilla Snot are not helpful - everything about playing a mandolin is individual.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim Logan For This Useful Post:

Rub a little bit of violin rosin on the pick.

If you have a thick modern finish that your bridge slips around on, the same works well for that.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

6. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rdeane View Post
    I've done it, but frankly the better answer is Monster Grips. I don't know why I waited so long to get them. It's the answer to my problem of twisting, loose picks. You can get them at Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Grips...3049218&sr=8-1
    I love those and have them on my guitar and mandolin picks.

Rob

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGinNJ View Post
    Anyone else do this to add more grip on smooth, slippery picks?
    I do this to certain picks. Others are not as slippery to my fingers.

Believe it or not, if you peel an orange and then try grabbing your pick, you'll find that your grip will improve, and be much less slippery. Also, washing your hands makes quite a difference. There are some commercial compounds you can buy, like Gorilla Snot, that you can use to improve your grip. But the best improvement of all comes with learning better technique. My pick used to move around quite a bit in my hands. It seldom does anymore, as I got better.

Question Re: sanding/scratching picks for better grip

Vibrating engraver on my thick picks..

But generally I take my pick into the wash room,

and wash it when I wash my hands.

It works well ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Teacher, repair person

I sometimes cut some grooves into the surface of a pick with an X-acto knife. I cut in three directions-- horizontal, vertical, and at an angle. It will work on any kind of pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Logan View Post
    For myself, I have come to believe "slippery" picks is an issue solved by improving picking and pick/hold technique. As a rank neophyte my experience is that all playing woes will solve themselves by focusing on improving technique. That does not mean to say that sanding, hole drilling, of Gorilla Snot are not helpful - everything about playing a mandolin is individual.
    I have generally been using Wegen bluegrass and Dunlup Primetone grip picks which I have no problem gripping. I bought some Pro Plec picks which I liked the sound of, but they are much more slippery. I ended up scratching them with a Dremel tool using a small grinding bit. It made a major diffeernce

Just as an experiment I did the sanding (a small piece of slate) and exacto knife trick on 6 originally smooth Dunlop picks (1.5 mm).
    I didn’t touch the tip part.

I found that the ones with just a slight, minimal amount of abrasion were the best. The heavily modified picks had a strange tendency to migrate in a certain direction which is normally ok because I can manipulate them back while playing to get them to my favourite position but with heavy treads they had a lot more inertia.

I use the Dunlop small triangle Primetone pick and drill a hole pattern like the Wegen picks.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

15. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

I have found the picks with holes, scratches, or other raised features are actually harder for me control. Picks that are flat and smooth with minimal logos - like Blue Chip, TS, etc. don't move around when I play.

Ditto above. I modified picks when I was starting out, but over the years I've gotten better results by working on my picking hand technique. Paradoxically, a lighter grip seems to give much more control. Mike Marshall says one's grip should be so loose that the pick gets dropped every so often.
    Mitch Russell

Sometimes it seems my skin chemistry and some picks don't play well together. Even with holes and a light grip, Wegen picks still can slip around. Same with some of the Dunlop Tortex varieties. Less so on Blue Chip or casein. For celluloid, some days it's no problem, others have to grab a Cool brand with rubberized logo to hold on.

Yes, I often change picks depending on mood and what type of sound am trying to get from which instrument.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

A drop of tincture of propolis on each side of the pick makes it slightly sticky, you can then hold the plectrum as loosely as you like, and it will never slip out of your hand.
    "Give me a mandolin and I'll play you rock 'n' roll" (Keith Moon)

20. The following members say thank you to Polecat for this post:

I find the highly polished picks like BC or PT to be grippier than the grippy picks.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Guess if we pick long enough we each arrive at an approach that works for us. Here's one that has served me. Take your favorite pick and super glue a strip of flooring sandpaper to one or both sides. The choice of sandpaper is the magic that makes the whole thing work. The paper is black flooring sandpaper . There are two grades available : 60 grit and 80 grit. Take your choice. It's available in most lumber yards and will wear for a very long time. Outperforming regular papers that wear out rather quickly. It provides enough grip that not much finger pressure is needed to keep the pick from slipping around. The flooring sandpaper tip comes from an old guitar builder named Overholtzer. He advised gluing a strip of the stuff to the bottom of a 12" cement float . Cuts great and makes a very handy tool around the shop.

You may or not like them but you might try V-Picks. The do get kind of sticky after you hole them for a little bit. Also Primetone makes a pick with a grippy surface that a friend likes.

Monster Grips. If applied to a clean surface, they last a long time. If they appear to lose their tackiness, wash 'em in soap and water and they're like new again. The Monster Grip will last as long as the pick (at least it's been that way for me).
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.