Thread: Mandolin batch in the latest Skinner auction, incl. THREE Shutts!

Default Mandolin batch in the latest Skinner auction, incl. THREE Shutts!

Here ya go. Three Albert Shutt mandolins and a Shutt guitar, among others.

https://skinnerlive.auctionserver.ne...t=&xclosed=yes
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

2. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Default Re: Mandolin batch in the latest Skinner auction, incl. THREE Shu

I'm more interested in the teens Gibsons and the bowl-back....

I'd hate to be three Schutts to the wind!

I’d be concerned if three Schutts hit the fan...

This whole thread is sliding down the Schutt...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

As any good plumber knows.....Schutt goes down hill.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Shutt mandolins... pfffft! Who gives a Schutt?

If I won one of those and didn't sell off one of the herd, I'd be up Schutt's Creek without a paddle when my wife finds out!

I wonder if anyone making a very close examination of those could be accused of being Schutt faced?

When you finish checking them out you have an open and Schutt case.

Or, if you don't do any research before bidding, it's a Shutt in the dark.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Just don’t look at them too closely, or you’ll Shutt your eye out, kid.

As my dad says " Schutt and two is eight".

I'll Schutt up now.
    Last edited by pops1; Jul-02-2020 at 11:15am.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Blog Entries

Well they are very interesting instruments but with these auctions I know very little but doesn't one have to pay a load extra regardless of the winning bid? A buyers premium or something they call it right? I don't get it as I've never dealt with an auction house! Can someone explain it to me how this works please? Thanks!

16. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

hank 

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    Well they are very interesting instruments but with these auctions I know very little but doesn't one have to pay a load extra regardless of the winning bid? A buyers premium or something they call it right? I don't get it as I've never dealt with an auction house! Can someone explain it to me how this works please? Thanks!
    In the case of Skinner, they charge 23% in auction fees and 6.25% in sales tax before you arrange pickup, boxing, and shipping by a third party. It adds 30% to your bottom line pretty quickly.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Wow that outrageous pricing mark-up! So if you win a bid at a deal it sure don't sound too good after all unless its something you just can't live without! Thanks as I had no idea how the aution thing like that works-can you imagine then the mark-up for a 20's Loar or say a real Strad! WoW!

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    Wow that outrageous pricing mark-up! So if you win a bid at a deal it sure don't sound too good after all unless its something you just can't live without! Thanks as I had no idea how the aution thing like that works-can you imagine then the mark-up for a 20's Loar or say a real Strad! WoW!
    You can get the sales tax (6.25%) waived with a dealer’s license. And it’s still possible to do well if you bid knowing that every $1000 is really $1300.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Blog Entries

Thanks but I'm no dealer but have some friends who are instrument dealers so that's good to know for future reference as I get the Skinner and Heritage instrument auction updates when they have them. I have seen some neat things from Heritage as the Rybka Loar H-5 and the Rybka F-4 with Virzi in a Loar F-5 case!

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    In the case of Skinner, they charge 23% in auction fees and 6.25% in sales tax before you arrange pickup, boxing, and shipping by a third party. It adds 30% to your bottom line pretty quickly.
    There is no difference between them and a seller taking their old instrument to Gruhns or a similar vintage dealer that takes a hefty chunk; some of them ask far more than 25% commission.

If you are a builder or other commercial enterprise, after all that, then you have to pay another 25% in taxes & all the bank transfer fees before you even get any $$$ in your pocket.........

That is why there is such a strong presence for companies like Reverb that allow the sellers to get by with lower fees, but not without their own costs: I recently got banned from Reverb for complaining about all their new fees and agreements that the new owners added, but I never agreed to with the original owners about my account...
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by j. condino View Post
    There is no difference between them and a seller taking their old instrument to Gruhns or a similar vintage dealer that takes a hefty chunk; some of them ask far more than 25% commission.
    The difference I see between auction houses and consigning with a vintage dealer is that when selling at the auction house the BUYER pays the commission (auction fees) and when consigning at a vintage dealer the SELLER pays the commision. At most big auction houses the SELLER pays a fee to sell, as well.

At the "old school" auctions of paintings and things going for hundreds of thousands of dollars, the auctioneer would say, "please, give a round of applause to the lucky winner." Which is sort of a back-handed compliment for saying, "this idiot outbid all of y'all and gets to pay a BIG FEE on top of that!" Never really got that...

My friend was one of Gruhn's early customers of big money guitars and in the early 80's he bought a super-rare custom color Fender Stratocaster and Gruhn remarked, "congratulations, you've just paid the MOST anyone has every paid for one of those guitars!"

I have another friend who likes to bid on rare record auctions and he believes if he pays ridiculous money for something it somehow validates it and makes it better. Another one I don't get. I guess I'm prefer a bargain.

They are all the same: they exist to make huge profits off both the buyer and seller of items. They just shuffle around the fine print to make it slightly more confusing and have you think you are getting a deal. Dealers and owners escalate the prices to reflect all of those fees.

Nobody shows up and says I want to sell the instrument for $10k. They tell the dealer they want $10k in their pocket and the dealer adds all of the additional fees. When someone like Gruhns sells a $10,000 instrument new, do you realize that a new builder only winds up with around $3500 in their pocket after all is said and done when you take out all of the taxes and fees and materials costs and production costs?

Imagine stepping up to the counter with your credit card to buy a 1923 Loar only to find out that you have an additional $50,000 in fees.

Lets not forget that more than once a well known vintage dealer has sold what was later found to be a forgery. In the vintage Fender world, many folks accept that forgeries are in the 30% range. I was working in one of the world's great art museums a while back when one of the curators looked at me and said, " Beautiful collection, no? Seven of the 30 are fakes, well documented, but still fakes. I'm not willing to risk my job and career to tell you which ones...". The same thing happens at vintage guitar shops!

It is easier to digest if they add the $$$ fees first and at the counter you only have to pay an extra $20,000 in sales tax. Wasn't there a Loar that was up on ebay a few years ago because of all the crazy dealer fees going around?

Most people would be surprised to find out what the actual selling numbers are for nice instruments between private individuals rather than advertised prices at top shelf dealers.

BUT: in defense of all the dealers: they generally do a kick @$$ job of selling your extremely expensive old instrument, take all of the hassle and surprises out of it for the seller, get higher overall prices, and the owner avoids all contact with the public. If there is a problem later on, they go through the dealer, not call you up ten years later expecting free warranty work or some other issue.

Like it or not, the general public treats dealers with a level of respect that they refuse to show to individual sellers. Imagine trying to sell a $150,000 item on craigslist or marketplace- what type of thieves and nutcases do you want showing up on your personal property or meeting in the Home Depot parking lot?
    Last edited by j. condino; Jul-04-2020 at 8:10pm.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by j. condino View Post
    I’m not complaining about their business model, just explaining it to a fellow poster. If I was unclear, I am a satisfied customer of Skinner in the past who would happily buy from them again in the future.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

26. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post: