Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAS: Remember, it's stronger than you and there ain't no vaccine!

Default MAS: Remember, it's stronger than you and there ain't no vaccine!

So, I regaled you cats with a sad tale, from a couple of months back, about how I had been furloughed and, because times were so uncertain, I made the very painful decision to put my Northfield F-5S Amber on the market as a means of putting some money back in the bank. It sold quickly. I then pruchased a perfectly fine TKD Falcon as a replacement and, effective June 1st, I happily returned to work. I thank God for his provision and blessing. And, everytime I've sat to play the TKD, there is a constant background loop playing in my head, "I don't miss the Nortfield! I don't miss the Northfield! I don't miss the Northfield!" Well, yesterday, I had a few minutes to kill and, lo and behold, on a Northfield dealer's website there was a brand new listing for a blacktop F-5S, with a K&K pickup, that was purchased about a month ago and returned because the buyer decided he wanted an Artist model they had in the shop, and they worked a swap! The short version is that the blacktop F-5S is now on it's way to my house and you'll see the TKD hit the classifieds over the weekend.

So, on June 10th just past, I've been sober for 25 years. I don't struggle with any temptation to imbibe. But, I'm also not a moron...I don't constantly cruise the aisles at the liquor store or still go hang out in bars in my free time.

Obviously, at some point, I should have learned to manage my MAS in like manner!
    "I actually wanted to be a drummer, but I didn't have any drums." - Stevie Ray Vaughn

Northfield F5S "Blacktop", K&K Pickup

2. The following members say thank you to LastMohican for this post:

Default Re: MAS: Remember, it's stronger than you and there ain't no vacc

Congrats on returning to work, your new mando and your 25 years sober! All great things! I'm sure that Northfield will be killer. I have been drooling over a 4th Gen for months and have so far been able to contain myself...
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Enjoyed reading your post...I saw that Northfield and thought “what a great looking mandolin!”
    I’m glad it went to a good home!
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    Congrats on returning to work, your new mando and your 25 years sober! All great things! I'm sure that Northfield will be killer. I have been drooling over a 4th Gen for months and have so far been able to contain myself...
    Then, my brother, if "containment" is your ultimate goal, the best advice I can provide: STAY OFF THE DAMN DEALER WEBSITES!!
    "I actually wanted to be a drummer, but I didn't have any drums." - Stevie Ray Vaughn

I’d say multiple congrats are DEFINITELY in order.
    1) For the mandolin that is going to be close to you and be part of your mandolin experience.
    2) For being able to be gainfully employed in these troubling times.
    3) For your continued sobriety. It is a hard battle many fight, but not come out victorious.
    May your journey in life be filled with joy!
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

7. The following members say thank you to Eric Hanson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hanson View Post
    I’d say multiple congrats are DEFINITELY in order.
    1) For the mandolin that is going to be close to you and be part of your mandolin experience.
    2) For being able to be gainfully employed in these troubling times.
    3) For your continued sobriety. It is a hard battle many fight, but not come out victorious.
    May your journey in life be filled with joy!
    That is a very kind sentiment, Eric, and I absolutely wish the same for you and for those you love!

Congratulations on getting back to work, on your new Northfield ( I saw that on avenue guitars site and it looked like a nice mandolin), and on your 25 years of sobriety! Enjoy your Northfield when you get it, you deserve it!

Quote Originally Posted by Deblues View Post
    Congratulations on getting back to work, on your new Northfield ( I saw that on avenue guitars site and it looked like a nice mandolin), and on your 25 years of sobriety! Enjoy your Northfield when you get it, you deserve it!
    Once again...those are kind words. I'm looking forward to receiving it which will probably be early next week. You know, I committed to regular playing about 6 weeks ago, and, holy cow, do I have a long way to go to get back to where I was, but I am playing better. The Northfield will help! (We used to tell ourselves the same kind of stuff about Red Ball Jet sneakers when were kids. Put 'em on your feet, take off, and it was like "Damn! They really do make me run faster!)

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

18 years for me, baby! So thankful I quit drinking.

Then too, it's been a few years since I stopped collecting. So thankful I have my four buddies (32 strings)! Funny thing for me, I play one at a time. Months at a go! Then I'll get nostalgic for one of the others and make the switch.

It is also just me playing for myself. Haven't played out or with others in months!

That too will change. . all in good time!

Congratulations and congratulations!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Definitely congratulations are in order for all your achievements!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Best thing to do is social distance yourself from the classifieds and any other online vendor or in person instrument until the vaccine has been developed.

Congrats on everything! Always happy to hear these good stories. Although I am more than satisfied (right now) with my instruments, there is still a part of me that keeps whispering about getting an F style Northfield. Every one I've played has been a fantastic instrument. And this coming from a guy who is not really into F style.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I think a dose of the vaccine comes with the Northfield. Look in the accessories compartment.

Congratulations on the 25 years of sobriety—that's a huge deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise NM View Post
    I think a dose of the vaccine comes with the Northfield. Look in the accessories compartment.

Congratulations on the 25 years of sobriety—that's a huge deal.
    Louise, thanks so much.

So, I'm more of a "one mandolin at a time" kind of cat. And, I don't have any aspiriations for another F body "up the scale", say, a Collings or a Gibson. So, there was a solid hour yesterday where I entertained the idea that my MAS may truly be cured.

Then, later that afternoon, I was banging around on the Northfield website and found myself thinking, "You know, that flat-top octave mandolin is truly badass!"

It never ends!

MAS never sleeps!

Got the F-5S "Blacktop" today. The fabric of the universe has been restore!

19. The following members say thank you to LastMohican for this post:

breaking news, there will be a general vaccine available early next year for all makes & models. so please hold all mandolins at least 6 feet away from your body. I hope you have extra long arms.

MAS is a diminutive TLA. The underlying condition is better called MIAS, Musical Instrument Acquisition Syndrome. Beware, it can start anywhere, and, what's worse, it's zoonotic. It is transmissible from one instrument family to another. Started off with guitars - acoustic, electric, bass, tenor - thought it was in remission. But, NO! It spread to the mandolin family - acoustic, electric, mandola, octave. It never sleeps. Showed up again with brass instruments, spearheaded by the invasion of the slide trombones. Family and friends ask me if I suffer from OCD. Sadly, I seem to be enjoying it. Bet you can't buy just one.
    Last edited by Jacob; Jun-27-2020 at 9:42pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    ....Showed up again with brass instruments, spearheaded by the invasion of the slide trombones. Family and friends ask me if I suffer from OCD. Sadly, I seem to be enjoying it. Bet you can't buy just one.
    I can resist the trombone
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I had MAS for 18 years, since I bought my first one. But the 2008-9 recession cured it for good. We lost our jobs, our really nice house and our credit rating. We nearly had to declare bankruptcy and we had to move to a city we hated to get suitable work. Over 11 years, we clawed our way back to complete solvency and moved away from that city by laser-focusing on what is really important. Now we are doing fine, but we have not forgotten the lesson.

I managed to hang on to four small builder mandolins and I've decided to be completely satisfied with them. They just get better and better in my mind. I love mandolins and there are some I would like to have. And I could easily afford one of them now. But I am not tempted.

There is a cure for MAS. "Economic shock therapy."
    Last edited by John Flynn; Jun-28-2020 at 8:58am.

24. The following members say thank you to John Flynn for this post:

Last year I decided to rid myself of the electric guitar section of my collection. I found myself not being inspired to pick them up to play. I only play mandolin out but I kept the acoustic guitars that I enjoy playing at home. It was rather liberating to find homes for the guitars and basses plus amps. It also provided me with funds to shift to my mandolins. At some point I may need to reduce numbers again but in the meantime...
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

oh Jim, let me tell you what my brother said to me , your touching yourself. so who do you think your fooling ?. so you got rid of the electric guitars, what's next Jim, banjo's ?. (just joking)

LastMohican, I’ll reiterate the others’ congratulations for your sobriety! As for the mando purchase, I saw that as well, and I almost bit. I love my Rigel CT-110 and my Kelley A5, and I’m not a “need an F5” type of guy, but, for whatever reason, I’m jonesing for an F5. Or maybe an F4. But, regardless, your mando got my attention. Thanks for snapping it up! Now, play the hell outta that bad boy!!

Jim, I’m actually thinking I need to step up my electric guitar options. I downsized to just a Tele a couple years ago, but I’m missing Strat and double humbucker options...
    Chuck

Get an Ellis or a Girouard and your MAS will finally be laid to rest !

29. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    I can resist the trombone
    I had MAS while I was still a Tuba player and it almost put my ass on the street! Quality BBb Tubas START at about $5k!

31. The following members say thank you to LastMohican for this post:

Jacob