Thread: Red Bear Lil’ Picker

Default Red Bear Lil’ Picker

Recently purchased a Red Bear Lil’ Picker, heavy with grips. I don’t see RB talked about as much as BlueChip, but so far, I like it a lot. It’s smaller than the picks I typically use, but I’m glad it’s a little different. Their bevel is different than Wegen or BC, but I think this will be a regular in my rotation. I’ve given up choosing a favorite, and just swap based on what sounds good at the moment.

Also, I don’t know if the RB ordering process has changed recently, but I remember everyone making it out to be very inconvenient. I went on their site, chose the shape I wanted, the thickness, and whether I wanted grips. The only compromise was the color, as I would’ve preferred something weird like purple, but tortoise is cool too.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Default Re: Red Bear Lil’ Picker

I assumed they went out of business. I’ll go have a look. I had a Red Bear years ago and really liked it. Had no problem getting the first one, but when I tried to replace it I ran into some issues getting one.

They're still there. They used to run batches that sold out quickly, but they seemed to have ramped up production somewhat and now have picks available at all times.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I haven’t a few RB picks. I like casin , but find it is a bit a bit too susceptible to wear and deformation, not the case with the BC, so it doesn’t get to be my daily pick.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Red Bear picks are my least favorite high end pick. They break way too easy. Blue Chip has been my go to for years now. And BC has excellent customer service.

I have both Red Bear and Blue Chip (CT55) picks. I like both but I prefer the Red Bear picks and their sound even though they break easily.

I ordered a Red Bear mandolin shaped pick in their GJ size with a rounded edge bevel.

Should be here tomorrow!

I’ve been playing EML picks in casein at 2mm with a rounded bevel for the past year or so, but always wanted something thicker.. we shall see how these two picks compare.
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

I’m curious how the folks breaking the RBs hold their picks. Extra care must be taken with them, but they don’t seem that fragile.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

9. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bowsman View Post
    I’m curious how the folks breaking the RBs hold their picks. Extra care must be taken with them, but they don’t seem that fragile.
    Agreed extra care is needed, and they are the same as any other Casein made pick.
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

I had 2 RB picks. I broke the one trying to drill holes in to make grips for it. Learned my lesson.
    I can only play half as much as I want, because I only play half as much as I would like.

Ultimately, I’ve realized casein isn’t my thing. Back to plastic.

I love Red Bear picks! They sound better than BCs in my opinion, but my opinion has changed over time. The only issues are losing them (a problem with all high-end picks, and breaking them. Keep them out of the wash, don't bend them, and they will serve you well for years.

I’ve tried several casein picks now, along with other organic materials, and they all have this weird scratchy tone on the G. I don’t think it’s an issue of the pick not being polished, either. The high tech plastic gives me more volume and a better grip, as well.

what one person likes then another may hate...I pay little to no attention that mentions anything as being the "best"...I have many many different brands of picks that I've tried just to see if I liked them or not, 99% not!...I like a kinda thick pick, I use a 1.5mm but just to find out for myself I have some old vinyl records and a few coins I'm gonna cut down and sand smooth and see what I get with them, I may like them, may not, no biggie. I have used a quarter before on jobs when I didn't have any picks, liked them ok but they'd eat up a set of strings with their ruff edges.
    Last edited by CBFrench; Aug-15-2020 at 11:51am. Reason: spelling

I have a pick made from a record. It’s thinner than 1.5mm, but sounds and feels awful.

I've never tried casein picks. Will have to buy one someday.

Seems like some people like them, and some people don't.

Pretty much like everything else...
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

I recently discovered Red Bear picks myself. I have found that their customer service, timeliness, and support are superb. I personally prefer Red Bear picks over any other pics I have tried including BC and Wegen but I also agree with the earlier poster in that it is often good to go back and try your other pics and see what feels good at the moment. EML is also a good quality casein pic, but currently it appears that EML will be out of production for awhile.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)