Thread: Very small mandolin

Default Very small mandolin

I am working on restoring this old mandolin. As you can see in the pictures, it is quite small...scale length about 9.5 inches and overall length of about 20 inches. I have been unable to find any information about a mandolin this size. It's clearly not a toy, as someone I know had a grandfather who played it. Can you give me any information about this instrument? Where would I get strings for it? Anything you can tell me would be much appreciated. I don't think I have posted the picture correctly, but that's all the info I have about the instrument. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1204.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	432.1 KB 
ID:	186708

Blog Entries

Default Re: Very small mandolin

I think that's what folks used to call a pocket mandolin or a piccolo mandolin. Think one octave higher in pitch than a mandola.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

3. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

Question Re: Very small mandolin

Pocket mandolins were also slender bodies but still GDAE.. 13" scale ,
    Where Piccolo mandolins are CGDA an octave up from viola..

Id say @9.5" it's more piccolo. try the very lightest strings [.009" 1st]

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

5. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Blog Entries

Maybe the camera angle is misleading, but my eyeball says that it would be close to unplayable if restrung (and if it didn't collapse while being brought up to pitch). If you do try to restring it, be careful, and use the lightest mandolin strings you can find on JustStrings.com or other sites with a wide selection.

I suspect it would make a better keepsake than actual musical instrument. Good luck.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

It is a piccolo mandolin. I have a similar bowlback with that same scale. The one the OP shows sill need a neck reset as well as straightening out the top. It is possible that the top braces are loose. Attached for comparison is a standard Vega bowlback (13" scale); Leland Piccolo (10.5" scale ) and my unlabelled piccolo bowlback.

Frankly the 10.5" scale on my Leland is playable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2piccolos_vega.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	295.7 KB 
ID:	186733
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Here in the UK we call it a pile of junk.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole