Thread: Transcriptions for Butch Baldassari's "Travellers" Album?

Default Transcriptions for Butch Baldassari's "Travellers" Album?

Hey all. Does anyone know if there is a book that transcribes the tunes in the "Travellers" album? It has to be one of my favorite Baldassari albums (if not my favorite mandolin album). I see on Amazon and other places transcriptions of his other albums, but have never seen this one available.

I really, really want to learn El Grillo (The Cricket).

Thanks!
    Jake B.
    Charleston, SC

Default Re: Transcriptions for Butch Baldassari's "Travellers" Album?

There are a lot of TablEdit .tef files out there from either Mandozine or CoMando that covered most of the tunes on the album. The versions are close to what is played on Travellers, which I agree is one of my all-time favorite albums, ever. I know for a fact that El Grillo, Chief Sitting Bull, Blue Eagle, Birdland Bounce, President Grant & President Garfield, and at least a couple of the tunes are out there in .tef format. Check the Mandozine tab file site.
    Rob Ross
    Apple Valley, Minne-SOH-tah

1996 Flatiron A5-Performer, 1915 Gibson F-2 (loaned to me by a friend), 2008 Kentucky Master KM-505 A-Model
    1925 Bacon Peerless tenor banjo (Irish tuning), 1985 Lloyd Laplant F-5, 2021 Ibanez PFT2 Tenor Guitar (GDAE)
    and of course, the 1970 Suzuki-Violin-Sha Bowl Back Taterbug

3. The following members say thank you to Rob Ross for this post:

Smile Re: Transcriptions for Butch Baldassari's "Travellers" Album?

Sorry I cant help btu I agree about the album, Theur treatment of 'Waltz in the bluegrass' is totally brilliant with guitar sounded tremendous. One of my favourite all time mandolin recordings.

5. The following members say thank you to jimmy powells for this post:

Rob,

Thanks for the .tef file idea. I guess I was hoping that Butch had put out an official book before he passed, but I guess it doesn't exist. After searching for the El Grillo .tef file, I found it on another web site and the person there transcribed it from the Travellers album. So just as good I suppose. Here is the website if you are curious:

http://www.vancehenry.com/tab.htm
    Jake B.
    Charleston, SC

I think some of the tunes are in his other books. But they’re not necessarily transcriptions from Travellers.

8. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

Hi Jake,
    I went through my .tef files and found whatever I could that came off the Traveler's album. Some of the tunes are almost exact transcriptions, such as El Grillo, Birdland Bounce, Chief Sitting Bull, Blue Eagle, Kelsterine Garden & Childgrove, and the Dead March. The fact that some have Reischman and Baldassari in the file name tells you that. Others are close, and a couple could be just flat out different, but you'll figure that out pretty quick. I couldn't find .tef files for Little Jacky Wilson, As Weeps a Star, and Rising Fawn Reel; at least on my computer, they may be out there.

I zipped all the files, just to keep them all together, otherwise they are very tiny files. You can download the file at: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai5cB66DL1H_5yob...rpwDh?e=34PrXL

Hope this helps fill up your spare time!
    Rob Ross
    Apple Valley, Minne-SOH-tah

1996 Flatiron A5-Performer, 1915 Gibson F-2 (loaned to me by a friend), 2008 Kentucky Master KM-505 A-Model
    1925 Bacon Peerless tenor banjo (Irish tuning), 1985 Lloyd Laplant F-5, 2021 Ibanez PFT2 Tenor Guitar (GDAE)
    and of course, the 1970 Suzuki-Violin-Sha Bowl Back Taterbug

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rob Ross For This Useful Post:

Thanks so much Rob! It certainly will! I'll be having sore fingers for a while.
    Jake B.
    Charleston, SC

Count me in as another who would put Travellers on their list of all time favorite albums. I know there is/was a Reischman version of Como Llora Una Estrella on MandoZine. I actually learned it for a mandolin competition at the Watermelon Park Festival last year. I think he also teaches it in his Peghead Nation course, along with Waltz In the Bluegrass.
    Ruhland A5#68

13. The following members say thank you to Reid Morsi for this post:

Reid,

Did you happen to record your performance? I'd love to hear/see it. I'm so happy to see folks with as much enthusiasm for this album as me. It really is fantastic.
    Jake B.
    Charleston, SC

"Travellers" Butch Baldassari,Robin Bullock,and John Reischman is one for the ages. The best of three of the best.

My pickin buddy can slam the chords to "Birdland Bounce" so I was happy to learn to play a rendition on mando.

I had to have learned it from a Tabledit.

Hi Jake,

Can't suggest where to find the transcriptions, but it's sure a worthwhile effort you're involved with.. I've been a huge Travelers fan for more than 15 years and have a grip on a lot of the tunes, so far, though, not El Grillo.

I'll bet you're up to it.

Best of luck.

JVS, Trail, BC Canada

I had never heard of Butch Baldassari until your post. I love Travellers. Just downloaded from Amazon. Great album, thanks.

I think I have a transcription for “El Grillo” somewhere, from Swannanoa with John Reischman a few years back. I’d have to hunt for it, and I’m currently away from home, probably until August. If you’ll email or PM me (doctormullins@gmail.com), I’ll look for it when I get home.

I agree about “Travellers” - I never tire of listening to it. I learned “Little Jackie Wilson” by ear, then “Como Llora Una Estrella”, and more recently the first medley (Old French/The Wise Maid/Swingin’ On A Gate) and “Birdland Bounce”. Still working on “Jesusita en Chihuahua”, which may be my favorite tune on the album.

I have started to learn El Grillo using my ear and the tef files from earlier in this thread. The bare bones melody isn't as tough as I thought, but getting those double stops right is a bigger challenge. Thanks again to all who have contributed. If I can ever get El Grillo down, I'll post it here!
    Jake B.
    Charleston, SC

Bravo Jesusita! - among the happiest tunes imaginable.