Thread: French Polish on Pre War Era 6 string Greek Bouzouki

Default French Polish on Pre War Era 6 string Greek Bouzouki

Hi, Anyone have an opinion on the wear that happens with a French Polish finish? I am looking at a pre war era Greek Bouzoiki that has that finish. I know guitar players suggest to avoid it due to the fragile nature to resistance to wear and appearance from just using the instrument. I don't want to get into a maintenance issue with this instrument. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

Default Re: French Polish on Pre War Era 6 string Greek Bouzouki

There are four hundred year old violins that were French polished and still look pretty good. It isn't a heavy finish, which is good for sound. it is fairly easy to repair if it gets worn. It is time consuming and not something typically done on cheap instruments.

3. The following members say thank you to Nevin for this post:

Default Re: French Polish on Pre War Era 6 string Greek Bouzouki

Quote Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
    There are four hundred year old violins that were French polished and still look pretty good. It isn't a heavy finish, which is good for sound. it is fairly easy to repair if it gets worn. It is time consuming and not something typically done on cheap instruments.
    I agree with all of this.

Most modern guitar players have never played an instrument with French polish!

5. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Nevin