Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking to upgrade from first, but Eastman?

Default Re: Looking to upgrade from first, but Eastman?

Quote Originally Posted by Woyvel View Post
    So, does that mean you got the Morris?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

This Weber would be a major step up and much better value than the Eastman, if you could scrounge up the extra hundred bucks.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/157016#157016

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    David, Those MD515's are one of the best F5's for the money, consistently! The Rigel I have never played but I sure have heard great things about them and the electronics, as well.
    Dan, I call this Eastman a "poor person's Collings." No, the MD-515 isn't quite the level of the basic Collings MF. It was most me less than 20% of the price and still comes with a lifetime warranty.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

4. The following members say thank you to Dave Greenspoon for this post:

Thanks for all the input. I've solved the problem, at least temporarily, and with a stroke of luck. My wife found an Oscar Schmidt electric at a garage sale this morning, so for $40 I couldn't go wrong for what amounts to an experiment. It was missing a string, so...I had to run to get a set. I went to Bernunzio's in Rochester, NY (great shop!) I tried a couple I hadn't tried before and found the right one for me, an Eastman MD415-GT (gold top). So I ended up with my electric and an upgrade, but not all in the same instrument.

6. The following members say thank you to Woyvel for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Woyvel View Post
    Thanks for all the input. I've solved the problem, at least temporarily, and with a stroke of luck. My wife found an Oscar Schmidt electric at a garage sale this morning, so for $40 I couldn't go wrong for what amounts to an experiment. It was missing a string, so...I had to run to get a set. I went to Bernunzio's in Rochester, NY (great shop!) I tried a couple I hadn't tried before and found the right one for me, an Eastman MD415-GT (gold top). So I ended up with my electric and an upgrade, but not all in the same instrument.
    Woyvel, Oh, the MD415 Gold Top! What a beauty that one is. I hope you will play it for years, happily, and I know we all want to see photos on the M.C.!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Blog Entries

Here is just one example of a well played Eastman and how great it can sound:
    2014 BRW F5 #114

9. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

I'm nowhere close to as experienced as most members here, nor have I played a huge amount of different mandolins, but I think the MD 415 is gonna keep you warm and happy for years to come. Even though your probably in for a long haul of MAS one way or the other
    And since you've had the very much recommended possibility of trying out several mandolins to find the one that speaks to you I'm tempted to change my "think" to sure.

Myself, I didn't have the possibility of going to a big store and playing a bunch of different ones, a boat I suspect plenty of folks like me are in, so I relied on advice from the Cafe, talked to Dennis at TMS and ordered a MD515CC. I literally couldn't be happier with my new axe! Beautiful tone, great sustain, easily played, and very comfortable. The fact that it's drop dead gorgeous doesn't hurt either)

Hope your enjoying your picking as much as I am!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MandoNina For This Useful Post:

I upgraded three years ago from a beginner level instrument to an Eastman 615 F-Style and I am very glad I did. I tried several in that price range with the assistance of the fine folks at Pickers Supply in Fredericksburg, VA. I kept picking up the Eastman.
    "All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain

Eastman MD615SB
    Martin D35
    Gibson SG

13. The following members say thank you to Mando Mort for this post:

Not quite the same mandolin, but I have an Eastman MDO305 that I didn’t care for very much. Someone suggested putting Mandola strings on it. It was like I had a whole different instrument. The intonation completely changed.

Little things can make a big difference.

15. The following members say thank you to Peter Barnett for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Mort View Post
    I upgraded three years ago from a beginner level instrument to an Eastman 615 F-Style and I am very glad I did. I tried several in that price range with the assistance of the fine folks at Pickers Supply in Fredericksburg, VA. I kept picking up the Eastman.
    Mort, A guy with two of my favorite guitar models, a D35 and an SG, has to have great taste! I love those MD615SB's!
    2014 BRW F5 #114