Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good mandolin choice for woman with small hands

Default Re: Good mandolin choice for woman with small hands

Mandolin requires longer stretches than double bass if you play Simandl on a 41-42" scale.

Some of the old Lyon & Healeys were violin scale, 13". I have one, but it honestly doesn't make that much difference to me. A 7 fret stretch is still a stretch. I really think it's more about flexibility than size, though, and plenty of small handed people play just fine.

I agree with those who mention above that the standard chop chords prescribed by bluegrass players is not mandatory unless you are playing bluegrass. The OP did not mention those chords nor did she mention that she plays bluegrass. The issue was reaching the 7th fret from, I assume, first position.

I agree with lowtone2 that is is a matter of flexiblity and, I am guessing, realizing that you don't need to anchor your left thumb in the same position. If you need to reach the 7th fret you can move your hand a bit in order to do that.

I don't know if the OP is taking any lessons or what stage she is at but perhaps a few lessons with a good teacher can give her strategies to reaching those notes without getting a shorter scale instrument.

OTOH to have that shorter scale might be more comfortable and should be an option as well. Whatever works to make music playing enjoyable.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

You can buy a Big Muddy mandolin with a 13-inch violin scale, which makes the notes closer together for smaller hands.

Big Muddy makes a 13-inch scale mandolin. No financial interest here. https://www.bigmuddymandolin.com/store

Weber uses a 14” scale so you’re already playing a little longer scale than most other makers. I’m in the reverse camp & love hefty necks and v-shape profile of my Weber dola & OM necks. Finding the neck profile & scale length that’s right for you makes such a difference though test driving a variety is a bit tough at the moment. Though returns can be a hassle, it’s worth it when you have the right one in your hands