Thread: Sheet Music w/Lyrics and Chords

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Default Sheet Music w/Lyrics and Chords

I'm interested in a resource for sheet music which also shows lyrics and chords. Ideally, key changes would be possible. Can anyone recommend a website for this or possibly a subscription service? I'm primarily interested in classic country and hymns, but venture from those genres from time to time.

Logue.net is a great resource for lyrics and chords in any key, but I'd like notation for what I'm playing as well.

Default Re: Sheet Music w/Lyrics and Chords

No one responded to my post, so I asked my teacher for a recommendation. Why didn't I start there? Because she's a classical violinist and I figured she wouldn't have a clue. Seems I was wrong! She directed me to musicnotes.com. I signed up for the upgraded membership for $9.99 for the first year. Not only can I select the piece I want, including sheet music for piano, lyrics and chords, but many of the selections offer transpositions to other keys. Tab is there, too, for those who prefer it. At this point I'm building my wish list and may place an order on Friday.

Since quite a few people viewed my post, I figure some may be interested in this information.
    Last edited by Sherry Cadenhead; Jun-24-2020 at 6:01pm. Reason: Tab insert.

3. The following members say thank you to Sherry Cadenhead for this post:

Muse score (https://musescore.com/) is another option. It's mostly sheet music / standard notation, but they have a lot of folk tunes with lyrics / chords too. You need to search for them though - example https://musescore.com/aaden-glass/bu...ath-the-willow. You can transpose the key and play a MIDI version of it to hear it. It's all user updated though - so there are mistakes here and there

I typically create my own lead sheets like you mention. While you can find many online, I've found a lot of the ones online are close, but not quite correct. Mostly minor issues (missing parts, wrong chord, wrong placement, and/or wrong lyrics) which can be corrected easily by listening to the records. I've thought about adding a lead sheet / chart page to my site - but haven't yet. I might do that in the near future though since I have the time now haha.
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

5. The following members say thank you to mbruno for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mbruno View Post
    Muse score (https://musescore.com/) is another option. It's mostly sheet music / standard notation, but they have a lot of folk tunes with lyrics / chords too. You need to search for them though - example https://musescore.com/aaden-glass/bu...ath-the-willow. You can transpose the key and play a MIDI version of it to hear it. It's all user updated though - so there are mistakes here and there

I typically create my own lead sheets like you mention. While you can find many online, I've found a lot of the ones online are close, but not quite correct. Mostly minor issues (missing parts, wrong chord, wrong placement, and/or wrong lyrics) which can be corrected easily by listening to the records. I've thought about adding a lead sheet / chart page to my site - but haven't yet. I might do that in the near future though since I have the time now haha.
    I looked at musescore and feel musicnotes is a better option for me. I learned something important from your post, though, Matt. At musicnotes I had looked at a selection that said "leadsheet," which seemed to only show part of the song. I wondered who would purchase such a thing! After reading your post, I looked at leadsheets again at musicnotes and see the phrase "contains complete lyrics."

Bottom line: thanks to your response to my post, where they are available, I can purchase leadsheets at a lesser cost AND I won't have to cut and paste to reduce 3 or 4 pages to 2.

There are several fakebooks online which contain chords, lyrics, and the main melody line. One only has to come up with your own alternate melodies or improvisation.

Is this what you meant by sheet music? If so, I can provide you links.

Quote Originally Posted by James Vwaal View Post
    One only has to come up with your own alternate melodies or improvisation.

Is this what you meant by sheet music? If so, I can provide you links.
    James, if only I knew how to do that!!! One of these days, maybe, but not today.

And, yes, fakebooks do meet my criteria as long as the music is in my singing key.

There are some problems with copyright which prevents much of this to be readily available on the 'Net. I find there are a few lyrics only site. Theoretically you have to pay fees for anything after 1923.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Do a search for ‘song collection’ and ‘ukulele’. You’ll get a whole load of great, optimistic, happy songs that sound good when played simply/acoustically.
    There are tens of thousands of songs on the internet. Too many. It’s the shared collections from ukulele clubs that are (sometimes) cool.
    eg. https://ozbcoz.com/songbooks/

Of course it’s a lot easier just to learn to play by ear, but until that wonderful, liberating day...

And once you have a twenty odd song collection that you like, then you can look them up on Musescore.org to get notation.

Have fun, you’re welcome!

I like MusicNotes for working out songs as old time style when they were originally not. I get just the melody, words and chords to help me figure out what is going on, then change whatever to make it sound like I want it to while keeping enough of the original to recognize it. Lately I've been doing some 80's synth pop tunes that are sort of a stretch for me, but fun.

My only caution is that they only let you print once, so make sure there is ink in the printer.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Cadenhead View Post
    James, if only I knew how to do that!!! One of these days, maybe, but not today.

And, yes, fakebooks do meet my criteria as long as the music is in my singing key.
    The are Real Books for vocalists, for a range of voices. May not be the music you want to play.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Opperman View Post
    they only let you print once, so make sure there is ink in the printer.
    I'm not familiar with that app, but in your print dialog window, will it let you choose "Save as PDF" or "print to file" or something similar for the destination instead of an actual physical printer?

If so, that would let you save the file locally, so you could access it later and look at it or print it at your convenience.

I do that with certain other apps running under modern versions of Windows, where I sometimes need a record of things but printer is either nonfunctional or non-existent.

But I haven't tried that particular app you mentioned, maybe it wouldn't work there...

Song books , have chords , for guitar of course, in them .. 3 staff lines: piano & vocals ..

music stores had racks of them to go with popular recorded albums.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture