Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First attempt at heat bending: questions

Default Re: First attempt at heat bending: questions

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    SUCESS!!!

Thanks for the guidance everyone!... before investing in a bunch of new stuff, (pipe, electric heaters, etc.) I opted to give it another go with what I have. I cut the flame waaaaay back on the torch and applied the heat indirectly by having the flame licking the side of the pipe rather than strait down the middle. I could tell the heat was in the right range because, as Graham said the water just bounced right off the pipe. I successfully bent the entire side without scorching it at all! I did try the wet rag, but that didn't seem to be working, so I abandoned it. You can tell the difference between last night's attempt and tonight's:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	65717FEE-2CC1-41EA-9AF0-159DFBD4DF78.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	597.4 KB 
ID:	186617
    That looks perfect! There's no smell like it, is there?

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by JimCh View Post
    The thin stuff, seems to be plated? Thanks, I've been trying to figure out what might be a good budget option for making a strip, seeing as metal stockholders only want to sell sheets by the acre, or that's what it feels like...
    Most folks use 0.25-0.3mm (0.010-0.012") thick stainless spring steel. Search for precision shim material, here I can buy strips of various widths and thicknesses also in small quantity for fraction of what luthier supply shops ask.
    Adrian

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    Yippee! I hope you will post pix of your challenges and successes on your journey.
    Didn't want to get annoying and post pics all over the place, so I just posted a pic of the Rim all glued up on the "Post a Pic of whats on your workbench" thread.... but why not:

Name:	IMG_1084.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	715.2 KB 
ID:	186642 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1087.jpg 
Size:	675.9 KB 
ID:	186643
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Jacobson Nautilus Oval Hole Prototype

Hand Crafted Mandolin Armrests
    Check them out here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.
    -anonymous

Didn't want to get annoying and post pics all over the place, so I just posted a pic of the Rim all glued up on the "Post a Pic of whats on your workbench" thread.... but why not:

Name:	IMG_1084.jpg 
Size:	715.2 KB 
ID:	186642 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1087.jpg 
Size:	675.9 KB 
ID:	186643
    That looks great, Spencer. I'm a newish builder, myself and appreciate seeing your progress. As for worrying about the number of pics/posts, I've been quite prolific myself and so far no one has complained (to me, anyway)!

My two cents: If you're going to build more of these you might look in to a bending form/mold. I fully admit that bending sides by hand is a valuable skill, it is transferable to many different projects and probably should be at the top of the list for things that serious luthiers know how to do... But I personally honed in on F5s specifically as all I want to build (for now). After getting frustrated with trying to bend by hand (That scroll!!!) and trying many different techniques, tools and jigs I went with an inner form/molds, heat blanket and a metal strip. It's worked great so far.

I realize this may be regarded as the "lazy" way to do it. On the plus side, it helped me produce sets of ribs the way I wanted so that I could move on to learning and working on other parts of the process.

The thin stuff, seems to be plated? Thanks, I've been trying to figure out what might be a good budget option for making a strip, seeing as metal stockholders only want to sell sheets by the acre, or that's what it feels like...
    I use aluminum flashing, which works great and doesn't oxidize or stain the wood. I buy it in wider rolls and cut the whole roll to width (carefully) on my bandsaw after taping it so it won't spring open as I cut it. I've had the same strips for 20+ years.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

One more question that's relative but not necessarily about heat bending:

Do I need to keep the Relative Humidity near 40% during the entire build, or just during glue ups?... I'm imagining my power bill going up.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Jacobson Nautilus Oval Hole Prototype

Hand Crafted Mandolin Armrests
    Check them out here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.
    -anonymous

Jim,
    I bought a roll of 2 inch wide stainless shim stock. .010 thick.

...Do I need to keep the Relative Humidity near 40% during the entire build, or just during glue ups?... I'm imagining my power bill going up.
    Frankly, you can get away with some fluctuation in RH during a build (just as we can get away with RH variation with completed instruments), but ideally we start with wood that has been kept in conditions of RH of 40% to 50% until moisture content is stable, and continue to maintain that throughout the build and the life of the instrument.

9. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post: