Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandolin Recommendations - Beginner to Intermediate

Default Re: Mandolin Recommendations - Beginner to Intermediate

Well, I missed out on both of them. I guess I need to be more on the ball when they pop up in the classifieds. Thanks everyone for keeping an eye out for me. It's wonderful to experience such helpful folks, especially online!

If you are willing to drive a bit, there is an Eastman 505 at Dusty Strings in Seattle ($745 + tax), and an Eastman 305 a Mackenzie River Music in Eugene ($509 - no sales tax). Might be worth a tank of gas to try 'em both out.
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Seen/heard lots of the KM-505's at jams and fests and fewer Eastman 3XX series. A used Eastman 505 usually comes in under your price point and IMO outperforms both other options. The Eastman 3xx is fine but in my experience the 5xx is even better. YMMV. I feel Eastman builds a better instrument than Kentucky; hand crafted work vs big machine factory is compelling. Also, Saga still refuses to offer more than a short term warranty compared to Eastman and their lifetime coverage. Twenty years ago I poo-pooed Eastman. Today I happily own and play two of their instruments.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

If you read all the past posts, many think the 305 is equal to or better than the 505 (Eastman). Maybe not as pretty wood. I have a 305 and once I found the right string/pick combo, I'm very happy with it. Its loud and I have jammed with it (bluegrass) and it was fine in that scenario amongst the other mangos present (some of which were Kentkucky's). I also once had a Kentucky 500. As I recall, not a lot of difference in playability; tone was different but equal in my estimation. It appears that Eastman 505's are hard to find for a reasonable price used. Don't know what to recommend, but don't rule out the 305.
    Last edited by Mike Scott; Jun-16-2020 at 12:45pm. Reason: additional stuff
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RedBeardForester View Post
    My question is are either of these options good choices to help carry me through beginner and well into intermediate stages?
    While I know what you mean and your question is good, I am going to object to your premise.

I believe that there is no "deserving" or "being good enough" for a particular mandolin. After one's first mandolin, or mandolin experience, where love and passion are confirmed... I would suggest purchasing the very very best mandolin you can afford and appreciate. I will never deserve the second mandolin I ever bought, after my first mandolin self destructed in a hot car. I continuously discover new things it does well and how it responds to my gradual improvement.

May I always play a mandolin far far better than I could ever "deserve", to keep me motivated and to throw in my face every day that it's not the instrument that is holding me back.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Hi folks, thought I would give a quick little update. I got hold of Rob Meldrum's ebook from the author as suggested from a previous poster (thanks so much).

After perusing the book, I thought the best place to start was the nut slots. They were silly high... I cut as much as 0.04" or more from each slot to get down to the maximum recommended height. Now I know what folks mean when they say the action makes the instrument near unplayable. I guess the one benefit to higher action is I've developed good callouses faster. The action is heavenly now compared to what it was before. I just need to make some small tweaks to the bridge for intonation and action/buzzing. That being said, this (little?) adjustment has made this a whole new mandolin that will be much more enjoyable to play while I keep looking for an upgrade.

On that front, I've been watching the classifieds like a hawk. I'm checking multiple times a day. It's kinda fun drooling over the ones for sale well out of my price range. Many of those Collings are gorgeous instruments. I've also called around to some of the "local" instrument stores searching for the models I'm interested in. I found one, but with the ongoing pandemic and economic fallout, they don't have anyone on staff to do setup at this time. That being said, once they do get someone on staff I question whether or not they truly have the skills and knowledge to do a good setup. I've never been to the store yet or asked them questions about this. I am not sure I am confident enough in my own skills to try doing the setup on my own after dropping $700+ on a new instrument. Maybe I could take it to another shop to get the setup done. Perhaps you all have some thoughts.

Well if you like blue...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/156390#156390

It could be for you.

A lot of people here think highly of Morris mandolins.

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings