Thread: Saddle issue

Default Saddle issue

On my ‘16 Gibson Doyle Lawson, if I try to lower the action under tension, the saddle will not move. Even with decreased tension, it won’t move until detuned completely. I’m aware that raising the action under tension is problematic, but my Eastman, Sparks, and a no-name F-5 all lower under tension.

I would like to upgrade to a CA full contact bridge, but for now, the stock Gibson is fitted very well, and I’d like to get it operating properly.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Saddle issue

My first guess would be that the the saddle is binding against the threads on the adjusting posts; which can be caused by hole spacing in the saddle does not quite match the spacing of the posts, or a post that was installed at a slight angle, or a saddle that has too much spring, etc, etc.

If you bought the instrument new, try to find a warranty service center to take care of it.

If you're good with tools, you might be able to remedy the problem by slightly enlarging one or both holes in the saddle with a small round needle file.
    Last edited by rcc56; Jun-13-2020 at 4:13pm.

3. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

I’m going to try to remedy it myself.

What’s funny is, my dad bought this mandolin from a friend. His friend had bought one not that long before, but the top collapsed. He sent it back to Gibson, they mailed him this brand new one. He quit playing, and sold it to my dad without even opening it. In addition to the saddle issue I’ve discovered, it was shipped with a .040 and a .041 for the G course. Otherwise, it’s a fantastic instrument, but you really wouldn’t expect things like that on something in this price range.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Teacher, repair person

"Only a Gibson is Good Enough" -- Gibson slogan from the 1940's.
    "When Good Enough is Not Good Enough" -- A responding advertisement from Epiphone, Gibson's biggest competitor for arch top guitars at that time.
    "If it's a Gibson, It'll Have to Do" -- Quip made a while back by a well known, now retired pro.

6. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    "Only a Gibson is Good Enough" -- Gibson slogan from the 1940's.
    "When Good Enough is Not Good Enough" -- A responding advertisement from Epiphone, Gibson's biggest competitor for arch top guitars at that time.
    "If it's a Gibson, It'll Have to Do" -- Quip made a while back by a well known, now retired pro.
    My dad was always a Gibson guy, and now that I have all his instruments, I suppose that, by default, now I am, too. They're not my favorite electric guitars, but the '67 SJ I now own makes me feel pretty good about having that name on the headstock. I've played it for hundreds of hours, but I just put Nickel Bronze strings on it, and it's really come to life. I'd recommended to my dad to try them a bunch of times, and hearing it now makes me really sad I never just took a set over and put them on for him.

Incidentally, the Doyle Lawson sounds incredible with the NB strings, too.

Be sure you are not turning the threaded post , with the ring nut seized around it, into the top.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

9. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Be sure you are not turning the threaded post , with the ring nut seized around it, into the top.
    Good call on that, but it's definitely the saddle hanging up. The wheels will both lower and spin freely, but the saddle doesn't follow.

Can't help with your saddle question; but,since you mentioned NB strings,I have to ask if you have ever tried Monel on your guitar or mandolin?

I played phos.brnz for years and finally tried Monels(guitar and mandolin)couple years ago. Now Monel(D'Addario) is my first choice for acoustic guitar and mandolin.
    Liked the NB strings but prefer Monel overall. Wish I'd have tried them sooner.

"A Gibson Is Only Good Enough" is the way I heard the "slogan". My #1 and #2 mandos are both Gibsons.

The CA full-contact bridge sounds like a good idea to me. I have one on my Gibson MM F5. The two-footer was making fairly deep impressions in the top.
    And I think the full-contact bridge improved the tone/volume of the plain strings.(but I cannot prove it scientifically) It sure didn't hurt anything tone-wise and cured the indentation problem of the two footer.

12. The following members say thank you to V70416 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by V70416 View Post
    Can't help with your saddle question; but,since you mentioned NB strings,I have to ask if you have ever tried Monel on your guitar or mandolin?
    I put the Sam Bush D'Addario strings on my other mandolin ('96 Sparks F-5). I'm happy with how they sound and feel, but overall prefer the 11.5-41 gauges. I had 11-40 on the Gibson, enjoyed how it seemed to play effortlessly, but the thicker strings just sound more full and punchy. Still plays effortlessly, too.

But yeah, I like the monel strings, and could easily use NB or monel and be happy with it.