Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blue chip picks

Default Blue chip picks

Hello everyone, I'm sure this has probably been covered before but here it goes.
    In your opinions are blue chip picks worth the money.
    A little background on me. I am getting back to playing after a few years of not playing. I am a first responder EMT and would like to try one of the picks but they are priced at close to 2 hours of pay.
    So is it worth it or not. I'm not going to pull the trigger until I get some input.

Default Re: Blue chip picks

I think they are but your mileage may vary. While you're waiting for some answers you might want to look through these threads. The threads that reference the Green Bluechip picks were an April Fools story. You can skip those unless you're looking for some humor.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by Njbow View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm sure this has probably been covered before but here it goes.
    In your opinions are blue chip picks worth the money.
    A little background on me. I am getting back to playing after a few years of not playing. I am a first responder EMT and would like to try one of the picks but they are priced at close to 2 hours of pay.
    So is it worth it or not. I'm not going to pull the trigger until I get some input.
    I've been on the great pick adventure the last couple of years and I am sold on Blue Chip based on the quality and the outstanding customer service I've received. I've tried a number of others but keep coming back to Blue Chip. I use a TPR 50 for my mandolins and a TPR 40 for my acoustic guitars. I also have the CT55 which I use on occasion. If you tend to misplace or lose picks I would certainly understand your concern. For me, it's worth the investment.

Finally, thank you for your service. You should certainly be paid enough for what you do that you wouldn't have to worry about the cost of these picks. That's another discussion, but an important one.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RickR For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RickR View Post
    Finally, thank you for your service. You should certainly be paid enough for what you do that you wouldn't have to worry about the cost of these picks. That's another discussion, but an important one.
    Ditto!

Regarding the picks: No, for me, it is not worth it. I've tried several and they don't provide 10x the benefit of a Dunlop Primetone large triangle. I love trying new picks, and I'm not very fussy -- in other words, most any pick in a triangle shape, over 1mm thick, will work for me.

But I also enjoy a pick that imparts a bit of character, and I've always felt like the BC picks lacks the warmth I like. I enjoy the new D'addario Chris Thile pick. It's $25, so also an investment, but the material imparts a bit more roundness to my tone.

If I only had to choose one pick forever, it'd be a Wegen -- warm, throaty, grippy in the hand, and only about $7. The Primetone would be close second for economics and availability.

6. The following members say thank you to Drew Streip for this post:

Primetone picks are quite good, and cheap, but my current favorite are Radex, by D’Andrea. Also very reasonable, 3 for $6-7. Btw, what are you playing now?

I have multiple BlueChip picks, but they’re a little bright and too stiff, for my current taste.

Ymmv
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

The initial purchase stings, but here's a couple of major benefits:

1. You'll hold yourself more accountable knowing you can no longer blame the pick for any insufficiencies in your tone (that was the reason I bought mine).

2. It's the last pick you'll ever need. Sure, pick preference is subjective, but that subjectivity is generally around the character of the tone/feel rather than the quality. Most people can agree on a set of variables that make up a 'high quality' pick (stiff, limited pick noise, etc.), and most would agree that Bluechip meets those standards.

3. Stemming from #2, once you have a Bluechip you'll have a standard/benchmark to compare with other picks so you can really determine what character you like in a pick.

Buying a Bluechip is like buying a Corvette. Is it better than a Mustang? Depends who you ask. What matters is that you bought a car that can win the race. Now all you have to worry about is your racing skills.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cartershilts For This Useful Post:

It really doesn't matter what any of us say it only matters what you think so you can buy a BC to try it and if you don’t like it sell it thru the Cafe classifieds taking a small hit.

Ask your family, friends, colleagues for one as a gift for bday, xmas, anniversary. It would be something nice for them to get you.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Here is a recent thread about a new pick on the market at almost half the cost of a BC.....

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...eat-pick-price

Thinking about it my self but so far happy with my small triangle Primetone pick. I own a BC but never play it because I find it too "clicky".
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I find BC tone is quite variable depending on thickness and rounded vs pointed. I like them, but I happily use Primetones if I’m somewhere I might drop/lose a pick, such as an outside deck. If you have jamming opportunities maybe you’ll find a mando buddy who’ll let you try one.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

Like many people here, I've tried many, many picks... and, like many people here, I always seem to come back to the Blue Chip. I use a TAD 40 on my oval and a CT 55 on my F. Just like the way they make my instruments sound and the friction/interaction of their material with the strings. That said, every once and awhile, I'll switch to a Primetone 1.5 triangle (the non-grip kind) for a bit brighter sound and feel. Dunlop Primetones are great picks, very Blue Chip like, and a tremendous value. They also cause much less stress when dropped or misplaced, and are great for just keeping in your pocket in case you find yourself passing a mandolin store.

14. The following members say thank you to Jim Parriott for this post:

I recently got back into playing the mandolin after inheriting a mess of them from my dad. Along with them were 4 BlueChip picks (he was a fan). I figured I'd use the TAD 60 1-R and not get back into the pick swapping nonsense... then I dug out my Wegen TF140s, my almost complete collection of Primetones, the D'Andrea Pro-Plec, and now I'm thinking about buying the new Thile pick and a Red Bear.

So here's the thing... for a pick, BCs are rather pricey at $35. But, it's $35. There are plenty of other dumb things most of us have probably bought for that amount of money that can't be resold for $32. I know me, and that I wouldn't be content until I tried the $35 pick.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

I own a few and I've never bought a new one.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I'm a fan. Though there are other picks I like quite a lot, regardless of price, a Blue Chip in the right shape and thickness could be a do-it-all pick for me. I have a few - a couple of custom orders, some gifts, and some bought used.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buck For This Useful Post:

I don’t own a BC, but if I put it into perspective I think it’s worth it. I could easily spend the price of a BC on a pizza and a 6-pack and they would both be gone pretty quickly. It might be worth going hungry and sober for a night to own something that will last for a while. My personal preference is Primetones because I can have them strewn about the house/car/pockets/cases/washer/dryer without worry.

+1 for the BC CT-55. It's my favorite pick and except for the sting of the purchase price I can't find anything wrong to say about it.

Even so, the Dunlop PrimeTone triangles are quite similar to the BC and cost $3 each. (These are the smooth opaque PrimeTones with the gold text, not the translucent ones with the textured surface. Also the larger "triangle" rather than the "small triangle".) Maybe try those first?

The BC is better in my mind, but the difference is small. So maybe the PrimeTones are a good place to start - if you don't like them I'd guess you probably won't like the BC either and will have saved yourself some $.

There are 1.4 mm and 1.5 mm versions of the larger "triangle" PrimeTones from Dunlop. They're very similar - some people find them hard to tell apart actually.

https://www.jimdunlop.com/primetone-...th-pick-1-4mm/
    https://www.jimdunlop.com/primetone-...th-pick-1-5mm/

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Aaron Bohnen; Jun-12-2020 at 2:48am.
    Gavin Baird F4 & F5, Weber Octar, Gibson K-1, Guild D50, Martin D35, Yairi DY-84, etc...

I've tried lots of different brands, shapes and thicknesses. So far, my favorite has been the blue chip ct55. All that said, a close second, is the large triangle primetone 1.4mm without the grip. You may want to experiment with the primetone's to see if that's the sound and feel your looking for, before buying a BC.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bowsman View Post
    I'm thinking about buying the new Thile pick and a Red Bear.
    Good luck on the D'Addario Thile pick. I have had one on order for over a month. No word when they will be available again.

Practically speaking, I'd say if you are prone to loosing stuff, don't get one. If you can hold on to it then its really not much more expensive because it will outlast all the others. Divide the price by 3 to 4 years of play. I love my blue chip CT55. I feel like I have a little luxury item when I play with it. I can't afford a top of the line luxury item in cars, clothes, or most any usual luxury. But I can afford a 45 dollar luxury item for my mando. I'm a cheapscape usually. But I'm a tactile guy and I do get that much pleasure from it IF I can hold on to it for 3 or 4 years. I have bought 3 over the years. I bought the CT55 and loved it. I wanted to try the tad 60 and the differences are small but I preferred the CT55 by a slight margin. Then I lost the CT55 so had to buy another. So I still have 2. I've managed to keep them several years now. They live in the case pocket. I try to make a rule to never put them in my pants pocket and always return in to case with the mando. I take good care of stuff but I am prone to loosing small stuff.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Thanks for all the replies going to give one a try

Just a heads up, a whole bunch of BC picks just hit the classifieds. NFI.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snake-oil-1940s-advertisement-Nov-2019-1180-720-580x358.png 
Views:	148 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	186518  
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

Keeping your eyes peeled on the classifieds here is a great way to snag a second hand Blue Chip to try out - that way if they're not to your liking you can put it back up for sale here and get your money back.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

28. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by j. condino View Post
    !!!
    Ever tried one?
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Njbow View Post
    In your opinions are blue chip picks worth the money..
    Yes.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

31. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Buck 

Blog Entries

+1 on JeffD's response. I have two and enjoy them very much.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"