Thread: Looking for wireless solution...

Default Looking for wireless solution...

As I switch back and forth between acoustic guitar and mandolin during gigs, I hate doing the "instrument cable dance". I use a Meyers Feather clip on mic on my mandolin, which has a 1/4 out from the belt-clip pre-amp.

So I need a transmitter with a 1/4 inch plug and an XLR receiver to plug into the XLR channel input on the PA board.

Anyone know of/use such a set up?
    www.rootsnallmusic.com
    facebook.com/rootsnallmusic
    instagram.com/rootsnallmusic

Default Re: Looking for wireless solution...

You can use just about any wireless guitar system (I use an XVive U2) into just about any DI or pedal that has an XLR output. I use the U2 into ToneDexter and then output to the PA via either XLR or 1/4” (normally XLR).
    I currently switch the transmitter back and forth between the mandolin and the octave but have been considering buying a second transmitter. I’ve worried about picking up sympathetic tones from the extra instrument because there wouldn’t be a way to mute just one of them without turning off a transmitter.

Yes, that's the set up I use for my guitar: Xvive 1/4"out (transmitter) to Tonedexter 1/4" input (receiver). Then I cable the TD to the PA board.

But with the Meyers Feather on my mando, I need a 1/4" out (transmitter) to an XLR in (receiver).
    www.rootsnallmusic.com
    facebook.com/rootsnallmusic
    instagram.com/rootsnallmusic

I don't think you're gonna find a wireless set up with a combined ¼" and XLR. I think they're all ¼".

Our band's mixer has both types of inputs so the mics go through XLR and the instruments through ¼".
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

With my mandolin, I plug the receiver into the preamp, which connects to my amp with an xlr.

The Line 6 Relay system has an XLR out on the receiver base that could run to a PA board.

Quote Originally Posted by snakehead_a2z View Post
    With my mandolin, I plug the receiver into the preamp, which connects to my amp with an xlr.
    The OP is using a Myers system. The preamp is built in. On the other hand, in past dealings, I've found them to be very accommodating. They might be able to design one with an XLR output. And, if they do, it might also use phantom power from the mixer, eliminating the need for a battery.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

The Line6 Relay system receivre has both 1/4" and XLR out, and both can be used simultaneously if necessary, although I've never needed to do that, but I have tried it out of curiosity. It has a standard 1/4" plug on the transmitter. I have an Xvive system and an Ammoon system, but the Line6 is far better in every way except portability. The Line6 requires a cable to connect to an amp or PA, and it also requires power. It uses a microUSB input, standard 5VDC charging cable. I use a small power bank that was a PR giveaway for power, and it lasts longer than I can play. The other wireless systems just plug in to 1/4" jacks, so they're easy to carry, but getting output to a PA requires some sort of amplifier or splitter. I sometimes use a true bypass pedal for this, but it's limited to 1/4" unbalanced plugs. The Line6 has much better sound and reliability, and I've never had a dropout with it, but I get a lot of them with the other wireless systems if there are routers, bluetooth devices, phones, etc in use nearby. It's relatively expensive, but worth it to me, overall.

I'm using the Sennheiser XSW-D instrument set because I go from my instrument to a DI (LR Baggs Voiceprint) which has 1/4" and XLR outs, but they have a pedalboard version that that has a 1/4" instrument transmitter and receiver in the form of a pedal (w/ tuner) with both 1/4" and XLR outs.

I’m still not quite understanding why you need an XLR on the receiver, rather than plugging the 1/4” receiver to your PA. But if necessary you can get a 1/4” to XLR adaptor plug.

The amp/PA might only have XLR input, although that's not common. 1/4" unbalanced instrument cable also picks up noise easily, and balanced XLR cables are far quieter in many situations.

I carry one of these in the emergency connectors kit:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...lanced-adapter

Use a DI box
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerofone View Post
    Yes, that's the set up I use for my guitar: Xvive 1/4"out (transmitter) to Tonedexter 1/4" input (receiver). Then I cable the TD to the PA board.

But with the Meyers Feather on my mando, I need a 1/4" out (transmitter) to an XLR in (receiver).