Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Classical mandolin album library list

Default Re: Classical mandolin album library list

. . . e.g., note this tuning chart from the appendices of the Dalla Casa (1759) manuscript:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dalla-casa.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	187379

2. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post:

Beanzy 

Above, note that Dalla Casa's use of tablature was inverted in comparison to the typical modern practice.

My copy of Solo arrived late this morning. I've listened and enjoyed. Previously, I'd only had a bootleg video of her interpretation of Leone's variations on "L'Aves Vous Mon Bien Aime," so I'm especially pleased to have good studio-quality sound in hand now. (it was "official" bootleg shared by her accompanist for that 2005 concert who is a personal friend.) I'm especially pleased that her liner notes specify "baroque mandolin (soprano lute)" in relevant text. "Baroque mandolin" itself has some baggage that will be debated by geeks, but it's indisputably better than "soprano lute" sans caveat.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    My copy of Solo arrived late this morning. I've listened and enjoyed.
    Cool!!!

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Please pardon that which was hastily edited above.

Say, Jim (I hope you see this), Motus' recording of Calace quartets must be in hand by now. What do you think of it?

Has anyone listened to Florentino Calvo's recordings on La Follia Madrigal? I really enjoyed his performances of François Laurent's Quatre courtes pièces (from Mandoline), and Heinrich Konietzny's Ochiana (from Récital de mandoline) and Kawaguchi-ana (from Portraits en forme de miroir).

Another recent find: Federico Maddaluno playing Costantino Bertucci's solo fantasias (Il Ragazzino di Borgo, Da Vinci Classics).
    Eastman MD504
    Curt Mangan Monel, Light
    Dunlop Ultex Sharp, 1.14 mm

IG: @standing.wav

I've heard additional individual tracks, but the only of Calvo's recordings on my shelves is the one featuring "Bach, Beer-Demander, Calace, Campo, Laurent & Leone." I need more. My collection is repertoire driven, so I tend to backburner those that have substantial overlap with recorded repertoire that I already have. In part, hardcopy Calvo recordings seem hard to come by, and I do my best to avoid commerce in strictly digital media. Doing so is increasingly difficult. Still, I really need to indulge.

Maddaluno's Bertucci album is news to me and quite exciting. Thanks!
    Last edited by Eugene; Nov-06-2020 at 2:52pm.

After a cursory Google search, it seems the only surefire way to get more Calvo CDs is direct from the label: https://www.lafollia.com/commande.html
    Eastman MD504
    Curt Mangan Monel, Light

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to standing.wav For This Useful Post:

Hello Tim,
    If you are interested in contemporary works for classical mandolin you might consider the following:
    "ZU", Mair-Davis Duo (works by Behrend, Sprongl, Israel, Pilsl, and Krenek)
    "NEW AMERICAN MANDOLIN ENSEMBLE; Contemporary Works for Plucked Strings" (Charlton, Hartford, Kruisbrink, Macadam-Somer, Assad, Kellaris, Kuwahara, Acquavella, Davis)
    "CAPELLOTTO & SABBADI; Four Clockworks for mandolin & guitar" (Sprongl, Santorsola, Krenek, Gilardino)

13. The following members say thank you to MMDavis for this post:

Eugene 

Quote Originally Posted by MMDavis View Post
    Hello Tim,
    If you are interested in contemporary works for classical mandolin you might consider the following:
    "ZU", Mair-Davis Duo (works by Behrend, Sprongl, Israel, Pilsl, and Krenek)
    "NEW AMERICAN MANDOLIN ENSEMBLE; Contemporary Works for Plucked Strings" (Charlton, Hartford, Kruisbrink, Macadam-Somer, Assad, Kellaris, Kuwahara, Acquavella, Davis)
    "CAPELLOTTO & SABBADI; Four Clockworks for mandolin & guitar" (Sprongl, Santorsola, Krenek, Gilardino)
    Thank you - I will check into it!!!!

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

ZU is a bit of a classic. I should score a copy on CD, just because digitizing vinyl is time consuming enough for me that I only really care to indulge in it for recordings that have never been released to CD.

In similar modern/modernist vein to Clockworks and ZU are several albums by Ahlert and Schwab (especially Chilli con Tango, Nowhere Left to Go, Le musée, and American Music: some of their output is mentioned above) and:

—Mare Duo (and friends). 2014. Gargoyles: Mare Duo Plays Wallace. Gyre, 10202. (Annika Hinsche is the duo's mandolinist.)

Frank Wallace (1952–2020) was an interesting guy with a diverse career spanning early-music performance to modern composition with contemporary sensibility. Most of his compositions were for solo guitar, and I quite like them. All but one of the compositions on Gargoyles feature mandolin. Frank lost his battle with cancer just this June.

I very much enjoyed this single release. I am not familiar with the performer - which appears to be a gaping hole in my awareness! I will look to clear up my ignorance.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=I...&v=R_fdzJkls2w

PS: Wow, I really like his D-minor Partita. So refreshing to hear it not played at breakneck speed. And there is something "different" about this recording- something in the playing style or technique- I'm just not educated enough to label it - but feel like I am hearing some bits that are unusual.
    Last edited by Tim Logan; Nov-12-2020 at 8:21am.

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

18. The following members say thank you to Tim Logan for this post:

Eugene 

This one wasn't mentioned

Antonio Vivaldi
    Musica per mandolino e liuto
    Rolf Lislevand: liuti, chitarra barocco e mandolini
    OP 30429 naïve

20. The following members say thank you to vonbiber for this post:

Eugene 

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Logan View Post
    I very much enjoyed this single release. I am not familiar with the performer - which appears to be a gaping hole in my awareness! I will look to clear up my ignorance.
    Bulent seems to be a nice guy, based in Turkey. We've been Facebook "friends" for some time, but have never actually met (typical, I think, of international Facebook friends). He's been blanketing the Facebook world and its mando-centric groups with decent quality videos for some time. His earlier ones featured a Calace mandolin and/or some flat-backed thing with a Neapolitan-like soundboard profile that I didn't recognize. He recently scored a C.F. Martin & Co. Style 20 (an archtop produced 1929–1942) and has been favoring it in his more recent videos. Also, his earlier videos tended to feature him overdubbing multiple parts himself (sequencing some midi accompaniments). He's been joined by additional live musicians (often a guitarist) in the more recent efforts.

He tends to release singles and multi-movement works commercially via CD Baby. I've not bought any because (as mentioned) I'm reluctant to hold truck with strictly electronic media (and its total absence of resale value), and CD Baby no longer makes actual CDs.
    Last edited by Eugene; Nov-13-2020 at 11:53am.

22. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post:

Not a mandolin album, but I think MCers will appreciate this one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 1.05.20 PM.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	190018

I revisited it this morning, and I was just blown away. It's a really good time
    Eastman MD504
    Curt Mangan Monel, Light

24. The following members say thank you to standing.wav for this post:

Eugene 

Bach cello suites - A cd I like a lot is by Robin Bullock and called "Suites for Mandolin - Volume One."
    On the album are Suites 1, 2, and 3. We hear #1 lot, but not the other Cello Suites played on mandolin. I
    happen to like Suite #2 a lot.
    AND Bullock plays them on 3 different Gibson A mandolins from the early 1900s.Nice notes too!

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nick Royal For This Useful Post:

That sounds fun. Thanks for the tip, Nick. I really like no.6, BWV 1012, but it's challenging and doesn't get a lot of play in transcription.