Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is Today the best Tenor guitar between 500$ => under 1000$

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: What is Today the best Tenor guitar between 500$ => under 100

Quote Originally Posted by Irénée View Post
    It's why I prefer (well constructed instrument with) natural loud accoustic sound with big projection... Comparing with an italian bowl back mandolin (or greek bouzouk 8 string) which has a smaller body (exemple: Embergher 5 bis, Cristofaro 1906, Egildo Emmanuele or the Kerman's) wich is impossible to cover even by a Steinway (concert piano elonged)...! The probleme is not the body size, but the architecture with (correct geométry & proportions, and) the minimum thinest soundboard with the lighter bracing organisation... and correct back and side...
    If a thin soundboard and lighter bracing are your preference, then you can probably safely eliminate the Blueridge from consideration. Its reputation is to be overbuilt if anything.

Thank you to have mentioned the Gollings (very good and well constructed) I thing good choice for CGDa !... NK Forster also for GDAe could be a great option
    Do you have a realistic budget? I’m confused that in a thread whose title references the best tenor guitar between $500 and under $1000, you seem to be spending a lot of time talking about the best tenor guitars between $4000 and under $5000.

Must find (in Paris... it will be hard...) one good Martin 0-18T... and test, compare with Blueridge BR-70T (hard to find)
    ... And after at the end to go upstair and test Collings vs NK Forster... Hard Job factually...
    It’s not a Martin 0-18T in Paris, but how about a Gibson TG-00 in Cars?

https://reverb.com/item/32800864-gib...-1935-sunburst
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

That, right there, would be worth a look at. Lots of "mojo".

If you are looking for volume, you might look for an old National tenor. I have a 1932 National Triolian that is killer.

I am not sure if any of the Pac Rim countries are producing a resophonic tenor these days or not.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

3. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

finding a good reasonably priced resonator outside the US/Canada is extremely heard. there's a 1930 triolian for sale in London for £2000.... that's pretty much normal... they rarely appear though. as for a dobro (my favoured type) - i've yet to see one.
    Archtops fare a bit better - but there's none at the moment offered publicly for sale bar a beat up looking kalamazoo in the UK.

but in the states - you've choice!
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Rob, You dont like the Ozark then?
    https://www.eaglemusicshop.com/prod/...nor-guitar.htm

6. The following members say thank you to fox for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by fox View Post
    Dang....I REALLY did not need to see that. I had asked Mule if they would consider it a couple years ago. They said no so I let it go. Until now. Jeeeez.

8. The following members say thank you to ajh for this post:

fox 

Coming from bluegrass circles, it's nice to have a comparably louder instrument when everyone else is whacking away at their instruments, and you don't want to sacrifice your tone or hell even the strings just to be at the same decibel level. That's not to say all circles are that way, but some can get there if everyone's had a bit to drink, or there are some relatively newer / beginner players. Can also be particularly useful for solo's in said circles or jamming with friends. I mean it's nice when everyone can allow for "sonic space" for soloers, but that doesn't always happen.

The Circle Strings tenor guitars are also quite excellent. A quick search on Youtube will get you a few sound samples. Like most high-quality instruments they may be outside the price range though.

Enjoy!
    Gavin Baird F4 & F5, Weber Octar, Gibson K-1, Guild D50, Martin D35, Yairi DY-84, etc...

I am hoping my eastwood delta 4 will be in this category to accompany my blueridge. For what i am paying, it just occurred to me that i could have purchased one good old one