Thread: Refinishing a nice mandolin

Default Refinishing a nice mandolin

I inherited a 2016 Gibson Doyle Lawson that belonged to my dad. He played it for a few years, but it was not his primary instrument for the bulk of his career. The main one is a Sparks that means a lot to me.

Here’s the thing... I love how the F-5 plays and sounds, but it’s a little fancy for me. In a perfect world, it’d have a speed neck, much darker finish, and satin nickel hardware with black buttons.

I can swap out the tailpiece and tuners without much issue, but the refinish and speed neck would obviously be irreversible. I probably won’t refinish it, but the speed neck is going to happen.

Just curious on opinions on doing stuff like this to higher end instruments.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Default Re: Refinishing a nice mandolin

Do you plan to resell it? If not, make it yours.

3. The following members say thank you to BrianWilliam for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilliam View Post
    Do you plan to resell it? If not, make it yours.
    The sensible side of me says sell it and get exactly what I want. However, I really love how it plays and sounds, and it was my dad’s.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Keep it cosmetically the way it is but make it so you love playing it. Plus you can think of your Dad whenever you play it. If you hated the way it played or sounded I would say sell it and get what you want. Doesn't look that fancy to me...

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Keep it cosmetically the way it is but make it so you love playing it. Plus you can think of your Dad whenever you play it. If you hated the way it played or sounded I would say sell it and get what you want. Doesn't look that fancy to me...
    It’s the combination of the really light burst, the gold hardware, and pearl truss rod cover. My plan is satin nickel Waverly tuners, nickel James tailpiece, and a plain black truss rod cover with my dad’s signature on it.

My hand sticks to glossy nitro really bad, so the speed neck is gonna happen, too.

Do the speed neck. Learn to love the rest. It's part of the character of the instrument. Plus a refinish is expensive, it diminishes the instrument value, and there's no guarantee it won't change the sound that you already note you love.

9. The following members say thank you to Buck for this post:

I want to do Waverlys because my dad was an engineer who really appreciated quality gears. Seriously, the amount of time he spent explaining why he was dissatisfied with particular gear systems in different things is probably about how much most people spend watching TV.

I think the engraved truss rod cover with his signature would be cool, too.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bowsman View Post
    Just curious on opinions on doing stuff like this to higher end instruments.
    Since you’re asking, I like the idea of the truss rod cover, and I have no issue with having it speednecked so that you can play it comfortably. I’d leave the aesthetics alone and remember them fondly as the ones my dad chose.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:

2¢ worth:

Swap out tuners, tailpiece and truss rod cover, but keep the originals, so that when/if you sell or trade it, you can let the next owner put the originals back on.

If you must have the "speed neck," go ahead, but realize that a de-finished neck makes it less attractive to some.

As to darkening the sunburst -- your call (actually, as the owner, everything is "your call") -- but that's the most serious, irreversible step. I wouldn't, but it ain't my Gibby. There does come a point where trading the instrument in for one with your preference in esthetics -- one that has comparable sound and playability, but lacks the family connection -- might make more economic sense.

If the economics of the question are a consideration, a Lawson with original features is going to be more attractive on the market than one that's been customized, in most cases. If resale/market value doesn't enter into the equation, then do whatever will make it suit you the best.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

You might try knocking the gloss down on the neck instead of a full speedneck.
    Tape off the headstock and heel and use scotch-brite to bring it to a satin.
    You can always shine it up again if you'd like to sell it down the road.

I would do the speed neck, and replace the hardware you don't like, but leave the finish alone.
    If you ever want to sell it, you can put the original hardware back on, or offer to include it in the sale.

The finish on that model is not flashy.
    It is just a nice classic sunburst.

Then again, it is just an instrument, not a museum piece.
    Maybe you should just do what you like to it, and get back to playing it.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

if it were me, I wouldn’t change anything that couldn’t be reversed. I’d keep it just as my dad played it. But it’s not mine, it’s yours, and you’re free to do as you wish. Be advised that a speed neck and refinish will undoubtedly devalue the instrument. How much? You won’t know until you try to sell it.

The Sparks, which he had for 30 years and wore the finish off and had refretted twice is the one I’m precious about. It needs a new tailpiece (severely vent hook), but it’s staying as-is. He got this one maybe 4 years ago, played it a lot, but aside from a ding on the side of the headstock, it looks virtually brand new.

I’ve always removed the finish, then oil & waxed the necks on all my instruments. If I did the Scotch brite thing to this one, could I polish it to completely original? I’m assuming so, as my Eastman started off as a matte finish, and playing it polished the neck to a high gloss.