Thread: "Pointed" Question From A Beginner

Default "Pointed" Question From A Beginner

Hello friends,

I've been playing an F-style (Kentucky KM1000) for a short while here and I'm curious if the "points" are normally a bit sharp on all F-styles. The binding edge isn't rounded off at all. I'm wondering if I should visit my friendly neighborhood luthier to maybe round off the points a bit. Reason I ask is, if I'm playing sitting with the instrument in my lap (left leg on a foot stool), those points kind of dig in, especially if wearing shorts. Is this normal and expected or is it a sign that this instrument was made by cutting some corners?

Thanks
    "Flow, river flow. Let your waters wash down, take me from this road, to some other town." - Roger McGuinn

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: "Pointed" Question From A Beginner

And thus was born the Mrs. Griffith A5: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...-A5-Loar/page4
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:

So I guess, in short, I should wear longer shorts.
    "Flow, river flow. Let your waters wash down, take me from this road, to some other town." - Roger McGuinn

5. The following members say thank you to Erin M for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Erin M View Post
    So I guess, in short, I should wear longer shorts.
    Not necessarily. Not sure what the reasons for the points were in the original design of an "F" style mando. (whoever knows can jump in at any time) But they do function to help keep the neck at the proper orientation and relieves your left hand from carrying the brunt of the weight while playing.
    Do you use a strap while sitting? (I do. Doesn't make it right or wrong. It's just that I feel more secure using a strap) If you don't, the strap could take some of the pressure off.

Might want to search and find what people use while playing old bowl back mandolins. To keep them from shifting, sometimes the musicians will place a towel or a chamois on their legs. That would keep the points from digging in. And also protect the finish on your mando from sweat/moisture damage. ('Cause if you're wearing shorts, it must be warm/hot where you're playin. And if it's warm/hot where you're playin, you gonna be sweatin.)

And it's your mandolin. If you're not worried about the resale value of it. Make it work for you. Round 'em off. (Some people who hit the Florida extension with their picks. Have had them cut off or scooped. Others have had necks thinned or the finish removed to make speed necks) Since it's not a Loyd Loar signed Gibson (Please, please please don't alter one of them!!!) Make it comfortable and beat the stuffins out of it!

7. The following members say thank you to Rodney Riley for this post:

Erin M 

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Besides me thinking that A style mandolins are way cooler looking (just my humble opinion) this is one of the reasons I lean to A styles. The other two reasons are those points and curls are more susceptible to damage and A styles cost less than F styles for equal quality mandolins.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

9. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

Erin M 

Mando I play in our church band is a Godin A-8. No points on it. A well rounded instrument...
    Practice at home with my Weber F-style. And take my nylon stringed Boat Paddle M-style on vacations.

Eureka Erin M!!!! There's your answer!!! MAS. Get you another mando or two without the points!!!

Problem solved

p.s. I looked at my Weber. It's a Gallatin with no binding. And the points are sharp!

11. The following members say thank you to Rodney Riley for this post:

Erin M 

I agree with Rodney, using a strap, even while sitting helps a lot. After decades of playing I only discovered this recently.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

13. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Erin M 

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I do use a strap when sitting. I'm basically following Mike Marshall's tips on how to properly hold the instrument while sitting. He tends to favor resting it on the upper point.

I'm not exerting any real downward pressure on the instrument - even the weight of it alone and I feel those points unless I have jeans on. Thinner fabric and I feel the bite. It's actually mainly the upper point (the one closest to the fingerboard) that gives me the most grief as that's where it's supported. I'll perhaps try putting a cloth under it while practicing on hot days when jeans are little much.

In general, it's not a really big deal, was just curious if this was typical of f-style mandolins.

As for the MAS - well, my poor bank account needs some time to recover But one day, perhaps.

Thanks!

P.S. Yes, I will have Florida "scooped out" at some point.

Are you putting the point directly on your leg or using the point from the side to maintain it's position?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Are you putting the point directly on your leg or using the point from the side to maintain it's position?
    From the side so the contour of the body follows the contour of my leg - sort of.

Another thing to consider. How tall is your foot stool? I just lift my heel, up on my toes, without a stool and neither point actually touches my legs. Maybe try stacking some books up at different heights and see if a new position could alleviate the discomfort. Then replacing your foot rest.