Thread: A-style and F-style.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Default A-style and F-style.

Not another discussion on the various tonal qualities but rather an aesthetic question.

Is it just me or does the a style look mote contemporary? The f style is beautiful. But I note if I’m doing a modern jazz style gig I reach for an a-style but if I’m doing a traditional gig I go f-style. Bluegrass of course is f-style with f holes.

The tones are based on the sound holes rather than the shapes.

But am I wrong? (Relatively speaking of course). Has the a style remained contemporary?
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Default Re: A-style and F-style.

While I prefer the F-style, the A is still very contemporary. It seems as if you're basing your instrument on how it looks rather than how it sounds, not that that's necessarily bad but certainly not the way I would do it.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

They all sound great. None of mine have let me down. So I can grab whichever. One. I just was thinking of the visuals. And not in a ‘oh this is far superior’ way.

The a style was first. Then the f style came in. It’s just funny that’s all.

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

While all (I think) want the best sounding and easiest playing mandolin to their tastes for the particular music they intend to use it for. I would also think the looks of A style or F Style is merely a secondary preference based upon personal taste and does not define an intruments use in the same way as tonal difference due to other factors including but not limited to oval hole, f hole, flat top, aarched top, wood types, tone bars, and more.
    I personally prefer the looks and feel (on my lap) of an A style over that of an F style. This, I find is not usually the case for new players, including myself when buying my early mandolins.
    Not sure if this was the question or was it do we think an A or F style defines a particular genre of music to be played. For me the answer to that question is a definitive no.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    While all (I think) want the best sounding and easiest playing mandolin to their tastes for the particular music they intend to use it for. I would also think the looks of A style or F Style is merely a secondary preference based upon personal taste and does not define an intruments use in the same way as tonal difference due to other factors including but not limited to oval hole, f hole, flat top, aarched top, wood types, tone bars, and more.
    I personally prefer the looks and feel (on my lap) of an A style over that of an F style. This, I find is not usually the case for new players, including myself when buying my early mandolins.
    Not sure if this was the question or was it do we think an A or F style defines a particular genre of music to be played. For me the answer to that question is a definitive no.
    I must admit, I don't quite know what I was asking - because I didn't quite know what I'm asking... I didn't want a fruitless discussion on the various advantages, etc, of either. I only ever buy, like all of us, I guess, mandolins which I like the sound of (provided that they fit within my budget). So the tone of the instrument is important to me.

That point that you make that the newer players prefer the F-Style is intriguing... maybe that is what I was reaching for? Maybe I prefer A-Styles now... perhaps indeed...
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay

Not me. I don’t associate the A style with a modern look or music. I think of A styles as truly old school, turn of the (previous) century. I associate F styles with the 1920 Loars and later Ferns.

If I was buying an oval, though, I would get an A. If I wanted an F hole mandolin, I’d get a scroll. I guess I associate them with hole design.

For Jazz though the 2 Point has become somewhat of a "style image" Thanks to Jethro Burns and Sam Bush for keeping that two point talking in Jethro's vernacular.
    I've seen Don Steinburg with a two point - and there is a Jethro connection there as well. Paul Glass , Tim Ware maybe ?
    Seem like there has been a resurgence in two points, rather nice ones too.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

You can get 99 to 101% of the same tone, volume, etc from an A with F holes compared to an F with F holes, if they are built by the same luthier with the same wood selection. You just don't get the $1,000 - $5,000 strap holder.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Soper For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
    Not me. I don’t associate the A style with a modern look or music. I think of A styles as truly old school, turn of the (previous) century. I associate F styles with the 1920 Loars and later Ferns.
    They bring to mind Italian/Neapolitan style mandolins, except without the bowl. I'd have to admit that my decision to start with an f-style was simply: "that's what bluegrassers use". No other reason, really - I quite like both.
    "Flow, river flow. Let your waters wash down, take me from this road, to some other town." - Roger McGuinn

Today's automobiles more of an "A" look in comparison to the Fins and chrome of those 50 odd years ago thus the A style is more contemporary.
    -Newtonamic

What does ' mote ' mean ?

Thanks, Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

I can tell you from experience that with an A style you'll get more "what is that instrument?" questions when you play out. That said I love my Breedlove Legacy A style with F holes.

Every time I see Joe K Walsh, Kym Warner, Tim O’Brien, or the odd Adam Steffey video with his MT2, I really want an A.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

15. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

I should add my decisions In this case are oval holes. My f-holes I use fir bluegrass, or occasionally rock. Thanks for everyone’s replies, btw.

You rarely see an F-style in pub sessions over here in Scotland.

You don't even see that many mandolins.

So they seem cool-looking to me and I've always hankered after an F-style.
    I'm sure the cooler looks will enhance the sound somehow!
    Bren

Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    You rarely see an F-style in pub sessions over here in Scotland.

You don't even see that many mandolins.

So they seem cool-looking to me and I've always hankered after an F-style.
    I'm sure the cooler looks will enhance the sound somehow!
    I agree, the sight of the scroll goes straight to the ears and makes it sound good!