Thread: Possible Binding Separation?

Default Possible Binding Separation?

I'm looking at a this Collings MT on reverb, and I noticed a little whitish line peeking through the bottom edge of the top binding near where the neck meets the heel (4th, 5th, 9th, and 10th photos). Is this of any concern?
    "Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man."

Default Re: Possible Binding Separation?

I looked and the binding technically stops before that point, so maybe it is just some discoloration in the black dye/stain at that point?

That's weird, I don't know what to make of it. It sure as hell shouldn't be there.
    Richard Hutchings

Seems to be a whole lot of white showing up in various pictures, but not consistent in all of them. If you are seriously interested in the mandolin ask the seller to make a video, moving the mandolin around to show the various joints. Sometimes flash from the camera being used throws a glare. If you look closely, in some of the pics you see the white on certain areas, which appears to be separation in the binding.

Example, the third picture shows some white along the tortoise binding, while the fourth pic shows some white in the lower areas (to the right) but none closer to the neck. I have seen what looked like issues in pictures that in person were either non-existent or minimal at its worst.

Pictures can sometimes be deceiving.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Pictures certainly can be deceiving, and I think that is what some of the white on the tortoise binding is (camera flash).

Contacted the seller to get more pictures of the area near the heel of the neck. He confirmed that there are indeed white spots there. Said there are no gaps, and that the seems are tight.

That being said, I'm moving on from this one. Simply too hard to tell without being able to hold the thing!

I'm sure it didn't look like that when it left the Collings factory 9-10 years ago, but I wouldn't consider it cause for alarm unless there's some reason to believe the joint is truly coming apart. I would bet that it's not. It's not new, and all instrument finishes telegraph various kinds of underlying wood movement over the years.