Thread: New Stiver Today!

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default New Stiver Today!

I picked up my new Stiver about seven hours ago at Lou Stiver's home. Upon installing an arm rest and a strap I have barely set it down.
    I no longer miss the Collings I sold to help fund this purchase. Absolutely no regrets. My Stiver plays easier than any mandolin I have owned and I am enamored with every attribute this mandolin offers including but not limited to tone, balance, clarity, volume, and sustain as I have never before experienced. The workmanship is impeccable and I think (though one can never be truly certain) this cures my MAS forever.
    My wife and I have been RVing since the beginning of December and just landed at home in Pa two days ago. As soon as I catch up on a few things I will send a few pictures and a sound clip.
    Kudos to Lou Stiver. He is truly a master mandolin builder and a very nice gentleman to boot.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Pittsburgh Bill For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: New Stiver Today!

That’s fantastic Bill! Glad your wait is finally over. Lou’s A models all seem to be great, with a little darker sound than his F’s. I’d go as far to say I’ve never heard even a mediocre one. Then again I’m partial to Stivers being in “Stiver Country” and having met Lou as well. What finish color did you go with? Wood selection? Radius on the fretboard? Scalloped extension? Easy way would be post some pictures. It’s crazy to think my F model has 31 years on yours, but I bet they have some similar attributes as all Stivers do.
    Ruhland A5#68
    Lyon & Healy Style A

4. The following members say thank you to Reid Morsi for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    I picked up my new Stiver about seven hours ago at Lou Stiver's home. Upon installing an arm rest and a strap I have barely set it down.
    I no longer miss the Collings I sold to help fund this purchase. Absolutely no regrets. My Stiver plays easier than any mandolin I have owned and I am enamored with every attribute this mandolin offers including but not limited to tone, balance, clarity, volume, and sustain as I have never before experienced. The workmanship is impeccable and I think (though one can never be truly certain) this cures my MAS forever.
    My wife and I have been RVing since the beginning of December and just landed at home in Pa two days ago. As soon as I catch up on a few things I will send a few pictures and a sound clip.
    Kudos to Lou Stiver. He is truly a master mandolin builder and a very nice gentleman to boot.
    Cool, can you post a few photos for us to drool over?

Z
    Member since 2003!

Stivers are really good bluegrass mandolins - at least every one I've played. Congratulations! Photos & video, please!

7. The following members say thank you to John Soper for this post:

Blog Entries

Congratulations and enjoy!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

9. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

I used to have a whole herd of mandolins, but I’ve sold them all- no matter what kind of music I’m playing, the Stiver sounds best.
    I use mine for bluegrass primarily, but it sounds great for classical, jazz, old-time etc. A Stiver can do it all.
    Congrats Bill!

Bill, I’d love to see it! Looks like Reid is in Pittsburgh as well. Would you guys like to have a little Stiver meet-up? Maybe North Park if you live up here near me?
    Or Schenley Park if that’s in the middle? Let me know...
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mingusb1 View Post
    Cool, can you post a few photos for us to drool over?

Z
    Burst Finish (not as dark as Lou's older builds)
    Full Binding with Purfing
    Scooped Florida
    Radius fret Board
    EVO Gold over size frets
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20190420_104501.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	364.8 KB 
ID:	186620[ATTACH=CONFIG]186619[ Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20200615_085518.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	218.8 KB 
ID:	186621
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20190420_104407.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	388.0 KB 
ID:	186619  
    Kentucky KM-950

12. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jstring View Post
    I used to have a whole herd of mandolins, but I’ve sold them all- no matter what kind of music I’m playing, the Stiver sounds best.
    I use mine for bluegrass primarily, but it sounds great for classical, jazz, old-time etc. A Stiver can do it all.
    Congrats Bill!

Bill, I’d love to see it! Looks like Reid is in Pittsburgh as well. Would you guys like to have a little Stiver meet-up? Maybe North Park if you live up here near me?
    Or Schenley Park if that’s in the middle? Let me know...
    Sounds good but we are home for a few Doctor appointments and to pick up my Stiver. Then back on the road with our RV. We anticipate being home mid September through Mid November as we cancelled our Europe trip. I would love to get together then. I live in the Sewickley area so North Park, Schenley, or Frick will work.
    Kentucky KM-950

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    Sounds good but we are home for a few Doctor appointments and to pick up my Stiver. Then back on the road with our RV. We anticipate being home mid September through Mid November as we cancelled our Europe trip. I would love to get together then. I live in the Sewickley area so North Park, Schenley, or Frick will work.
    Ha! I’m Sewickley 15143, we're practically neighbors.

Have a great summer on the road... I assume the Stiver is going with you?

PM me in fall if you’d like to get together...
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

Bill, the new Stiver looks great and probably sounds even better! I love the sideways logo on his A style headstock, I don’t think I’ve seen anyone else do that. Did you go with a Red Spruce top? Or perhaps a torrified one? I found out when I met Lou last year that mine is actually a Sitka top, which I think looks great with the darker finish. I’d absolutely love to meet up with you and Jstring sometime for a little Stiver gathering. I bet there are a few other Pgh cafe Stiver owners as well. I know for sure there are several played in the Pittsburgh Mandolin Orchestra, most notably by the director. I’m over in Squirrel Hill and am at Schenley a couple times a week (usually playing disc golf) Another good spot we could possibly meet is in front of Acoustic Music Works, which looks like a good spot for some busking or a jam.
    Ruhland A5#68
    Lyon & Healy Style A

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Morsi View Post
    Bill, the new Stiver looks great and probably sounds even better! I love the sideways logo on his A style headstock, I don’t think I’ve seen anyone else do that. Did you go with a Red Spruce top? Or perhaps a torrified one? I found out when I met Lou last year that mine is actually a Sitka top, which I think looks great with the darker finish. I’d absolutely love to meet up with you and Jstring sometime for a little Stiver gathering.
    Red Spruce Top. I had read many good things about torrified tops and had considered one. But, I also read a few cautionary reviews about cracking and decided to take the tried and proven safe route.
    I previously had a mandola built out west that I ordered with a Red Wood Top. It suffered catastrophic failure and had to be replaced with a Spruce top of unknown species to me. After that experience I will let others do the R & D.
    A Stiver gathering would be cool. I know of several in the PMO.
    Kentucky KM-950

Blog Entries

I was at IBMA, last year they had it in Nashville and Elderly had a Stiver F5 that was like an 84, 85 model that I fell in love with. I already had a really good mandolin at the time and I attempted to work out a deal (trade) unfortunately it just didn't happen. It was extremely light weight and it wasn't a dark sunburst but a lighter finish. Absolutely a wonderful mandolin and I hated leaving Nashville without it. The sound and tone was so mature and woody that if you played in a bluegrass band this is a mandolin you'd love to have. Not sure who ended up with it (I do know it sold) but whoever got it got a good un'. Man I'd love to see pic's of that one too.

Any sound clips?
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ccravens View Post
    Any sound clips?
    Will do when I get one of our boys (men) to help with the technology. This may be a while as we only see them outside during this pandemic. They are too young and careless to be inside with them as our minds overrule our hearts desires.
    Kentucky KM-950

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

FWIW, AMW held their first Stiver Fest back in '03 iirc.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Blog Entries

Congratulations Pittsburgh Bill! A Stiver, man that is so cool!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"