Thread: Eastman MD-315 vs Gibson Doyle Lawson

Default Eastman MD-315 vs Gibson Doyle Lawson

Pardon the absurdity of the title, as I'm completely serious.

I spent my first few years playing on an Eastman MD-315. It was an excellent instrument, setup well, stayed in tune reasonably well, sounded very good for the price, and was easy to play.

I very recently inherited my dad's musical instruments, including a 2015 Doyle Lawson F-5. I'd played it many times before, and always liked it, but never had any issue going back to my Eastman. Aside from obvious aesthetic differences, and the much fancier woods used in the Gibson, they're both essentially F models that no good player should have a difficult time enjoying.

I've spent a few days with the Gibson, and the differences are really starting to show now. When I got the Eastman, it was strung 11-40, and sounded kind of weak. I used 11.5-41 after that, and it came alive. My dad always used EXP75 strings, but I've recently discovered phosphor bronze strings and the skin on my hands are not friends. I was going to use the Nickel Bronze 11.5-41 set, but they only had 11-40, so I put those on it.

The Eastman needed the heavy strings to really sing, but the Gibson lost nothing going to the lighter strings. I used to keep the action maybe a little higher than medium on the Eastman for extra punch, but the Gibson's strings are practically laying on the frets and there's no loss of tone, sustain, or anything.

It's been interesting to see what thousands of dollars in price difference brings.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

2. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

Default Re: Eastman MD-315 vs Gibson Doyle Lawson

I remember when I got my Silverangel Econo, my first good arch top. I had been playing a Kentucky 675-S for several years and it was a good sounding mandolin, despite having some issues otherwise. The woodier (and generally better) tone was evident immediately (even my wife, who at the time asked, “And why are we getting another mandolin?” Noticed immediately) but it took some playing time to notice/understand some of the subtle things that made the SA a better mandolin. It also took me a little time to get used to the slimmer V neck and jumbo frets on the SA, but as I did the evenness across and up the fretboard, the better dynamic response, the warmer/less shrill high end, and the better bass response became very evident. At first the Kentucky seemed like the louder mandolin (it is a loud box), but I think the SA was just as loud. It’s just that it’s better bass response, balance, and the woodier tone warmed that volume up a little, kind of like a tube amp vs anything but the highest end of solid state amps.

Rhonda Vincent’s Doyle Lawson is one of the better sounding mandolins I’ve heard, and I like the f hole binding on those...it’s not bling, it’s classy. I’d be curious to hear how your playing time shifts as you get to really know the Doyle. At first I still played my Kentucky a lot, but after a couple of months I realized that I hadn’t picked up the Kentucky in weeks. I kept it as my beater, but got to the point that I was taking the SA all the places I should have been taking the Kentucky. After a particular beach trip where I remember playing guitar almost exclusively because I just didn’t like playing the Kentucky anymore, I gave the Kentucky to a friend’s kid who was interested in it.

At some point after that beach trip I played an Eastman 315 at a local big box store while my wife was buying piano books for her students. It was very good, and also on clearance for $429, so I took it home. I did actually use it as my “beater,” for a few years, but sold it during a downsize move a couple of years ago.

All that aside, I hope you enjoy having your dad’s instruments. There’s definitely something special about that...
    Chuck

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CES For This Useful Post:

i too started out playing Eastman....and found it very playable . But as you did , I needed to squeeze more oomph from it so I went to the heavier strings and raised the action . Better ...but more difficult to play , of course ....and still not 'there'. I stumbled upon the humble Km 150 Kentucky and never looked back . Now anytime I listen to ANY Eastman or play one in a shop I immediately hear the reason I went to the entry level Kentucky . I know this is almost the converse of your experience going from an instrument you ' thought' you liked and graduating to something costing much much more when you heard the difference . In your case you would expect to hear that difference . In mine I didn't . I just knew that there had to be something closer to what I wanted than the Eastman gave me and was lucky enough to find it for far less .

6. The following members say thank you to roysboy for this post:

Not that it matters much to us, but the other thing about the Gibson compared to some of the less expensive mandolins, is that I think it is going to sound and play great for a hundred years or more. The build quality just seems better. And even though it seems to feel like a heavier built instrument, it sounds like a lightly built one in terms of volume. Also there is that richer Gibson tone. I loved my Eastman for what it is and still play it occasionally but it does sound thinner. I agree the entry level Kentuckys Ive played were more pleasing in tone to me. Tone is subjective of course. Both are good entry level instruments. I have played some very expensive instruments. Several sounded spectacular. They again seemed to have a lighter build with a wonderful resonant top. I do wonder how thin the tops are to achieve that. Although these expensive instruments (over twice my Gibson) sound great now, I do wonder how well they hold up for the next generation. Then again, what does that matter for us now. We dont buy these to play them in 50 years.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

8. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

I have an Eastman MD515. About four or five months ago I bought a used Gibson Alan Bibey.

The Eastman sounds good, but it’s easy for me to hear and feel the difference. The Gibson vibrates much differently than the Eastman.

When I played the Eastman, I always thought it was missing something. It never gave me the tone I heard when I heard Bill Monroe at his best. And that’s the ultimate mandolin tone for me.

The Gibson AB gives me what I want. Not once have I played it and longed for something more. I also think the better I get the wider the gap gets between the two instruments. I expect you’ll find that with the Doyle Lawson as well.

My first nice mandolin was/is an Eastman 615. I had Marty Jacobson make a different style mandolin, his #37. It is not nearly as loud at the Eastman, but balanced much better in tone and volume. It also doesn’t feel as clunky or stiff on the fretboard. They are both nice, but for playing Bach and other Baroque literature, Marty’s is my go to mandolin.

11. The following members say thank you to Sterling for this post: