Thread: Budget 2 point A style mandolin

Default Budget 2 point A style mandolin

Long story short, I’m looking to upgrade from my current mandolin, which is a simple A style mandolin. I’ve really have taken a liking to the look of 2-point A styles, but having trouble finding one in my price range (sub $1000). Just wondering if y’all have any recommendations for some budget 2-points? I could settle for another simple A style if it comes down to it, but the heart wants what the heart wants. I hear this is how MAS gets started...

Default Re: Budget 2 point A style mandolin

This
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/155634#155634
    Morris 2 pt archtop with McClung armrest and gigbag for $975.
    You'd be hard pressed to find a better deal than that.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200605-212452.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	390.9 KB 
ID:	186380

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stevojack665 View Post
    This Morris 2 pt archtop with McClung armrest and gigbag for $975. You'd be hard pressed to find a better deal than that.
    The same mandolin was a better deal when it first hit the classifieds on May 11 for $650 IIRC. The seller then relisted it on May 12 for $875 and May 13 for $1000 before moving it over to Reverb for $1250. It returned to the classifieds June 3 for $975, but who can tell what the asking price will be next?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

4. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Since the story is out for all to see, make the guy an offer and stick with it. I have played three or four Morris mandolins and they all sounded good and played well.

I believe the one that was for $650 was sold (it is no longer in the classifieds). It was a solid color brown (no sunburst). The two currently in the classifieds are both sunburst. One is a new two point from Howard Morris for $1250 and the other is a private sale for $975.

From what I have read on the forum, you can't go wrong with a Morris mandolin. Caveat: I have not played one so I can not speak from personal experience, only what I have read. I also have NFI in either mandolin.
    I can only play half as much as I want, because I only play half as much as I would like.

That was the first option that popped into my head as well...
    Chuck

Those Morris mandolins that were posted are right up my ally! Unfortunately, I’m not quite ready to pull the trigger just yet. I was mainly just seeing if a decent quality 2-point could be found for sub $1000, as my own search didn’t turn many prospects. Itlooks like the Morris’s would fit the bill perfect for my tastes/wants. To be honest, though, still need to “sell” it to my better half, and make sure it’s in our budget together. But this at least gives me a more realistic price point to discuss it over, and a good trail to search when I can pull the trigger. Thanks guys! Y’all really do great stuff on this forum, and response time is always impeccable. As always, keep on picking!