Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite A style mandolin?

Default Re: Favorite A style mandolin?

If Bill Monroe had never found a mandolin for sale in a Tampa barber shop in 1942, y'all would be playing A5's
    Last edited by rgregg48; Jun-10-2020 at 8:18am. Reason: Punctuation

Quote Originally Posted by rgregg48 View Post
    If Bill Monroe had never found a mandolin for sale in a Tampa barber shop in 1942, y'all would be playing A5's
    You don't know that...

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Ekaterina Skliar makes wonderful classical music on her Gibson A9. I'd go for an f-hole arch-top, get the correct pick and strings and move on.

Love my paddle head Gibson; however,.

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatt-dad For This Useful Post:

i might suggest playing a Pava. You might be able to find a used A5 for near the upper range of your price range.

I love my Collings MT2-O. Super comfortable to play, great sounding, and beautifully finished.
    I think in general, oval hole mandolins are good for the styles that you're wanting to play. I play mine in a 5 piece swing jazz combo and it works really well.

Gibson A-9 is a pretty good buy and in your price range. Has the advantage of modern feel, which to me means firstly a radiused fingerboard, truss rod, and not the maintenance responsibilities of a vintage piece. No bling, no scroll, no oversize price tag.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cameron View Post
    Gibson A-9 is a pretty good buy and in your price range. Has the advantage of modern feel, which to me means firstly a radiused fingerboard
    I believe the A9’s had a flat board, the Jam Master a radius.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

A quick search on Reverb and the Cafe Classifieds puts a used MT starting around $2700 and going up from there. I think you said the budget top was $2K. Lotsa nice mandos in that price range, but you'll have to be lucky to get a Collings at that price.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dave vann View Post
    A quick search on Reverb and the Cafe Classifieds puts a used MT starting around $2700 and going up from there. I think you said the budget top was $2K. Lotsa nice mandos in that price range, but you'll have to be lucky to get a Collings at that price.
    Reverb has one new MT at $2880 and many more at $3050:

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query...rt=price%7Casc

$2700 as a starting point for used models seems a bit high. While prices have risen, it was only four years ago that I sold my 2005 MT locally for $1500.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I got my 1922 Gibson A4 for about $1400, 10 ish years ago.. a local consignment sale..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by rgregg48 View Post
    Highly unlikely, given that there's only one A-5 that existed in that era, but your point stands.

Blog Entries

I will recommend used over new if you want to extend your dollars. In general, the arch topped F Hole mandolin was developed for mandolin orchestras for optimal projection. Those archtop F holes are very utilitarian for a wide range of music making. I think the people who get snooty about that stuff can have their opinions values for what you paid for them

Personally, I prefer the oval hole sound, I even like the nuances that a virzi provides but, I don't play in groups of to make money. All that said, before you buy, try and get some different instruments in your hands and see how they feel. Look well above and below and at your budget. For me, I like less substantial necks with more of a V shape than a clubbier D shape. Different people have different preferences. Mandolins in that price range, should be carved properly to give good tone and you'll find voicing varies some by builders (Collings will sound different from Gibson for the same hole shape). Some small builders shoot for a Gibson tone others build for their own preferences.

I've played a bunch of very cool teens Gibsons (I would say get hands on since they are now 100+ years old and not all the same) and you can really save if you find one that's no longer strictly original but still sounds nice. Collings are very consistent and powerful mandolins, too and a used MT with f holes is in your range. You've got a lot of oysters in that price range and there are lots of pearls there, too.

I'll join the bandwagon and tell you what I like... I like cant topped (flat top and back mandolins) like the Martins. They have a very different voice and can work for your styles and give you great mileage for your dollars.

Have fun and enjoy the hunt.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    You don't know that...
    Monroe played a F 7 before he found his F5,,if he never walked into that barber shop,we probably would be playing F7s not A5s.

Quote Originally Posted by Reesemartin View Post
    Hey guys, I’m a newer mandolinist, originally a fiddler and violinist. I have some general music and performance knowledge and am making the conversion to becoming primarily a mandolin player. I would like to start saving for a professional mandolin, my favorite style being the A frame mandolins. I’ve been taking a peak at some Gibson’s, and I like their sound/build quality. What would you recommend for me? (Folk, Jazz, and classical mandolin will be my primary styles) ☺️Thanks for your input!
    Did you decide?

Hard, but fun choices..
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

For nearly any style except bluegrass, Lyon & Healy/Washburn carved mandolins are wonderful. The style C is the most affordable, and can sometimes be found in the high 3-figure range.