Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite A style mandolin?

Default Favorite A style mandolin?

Hey guys, I’m a newer mandolinist, originally a fiddler and violinist. I have some general music and performance knowledge and am making the conversion to becoming primarily a mandolin player. I would like to start saving for a professional mandolin, my favorite style being the A frame mandolins. I’ve been taking a peak at some Gibson’s, and I like their sound/build quality. What would you recommend for me? (Folk, Jazz, and classical mandolin will be my primary styles) ☺️Thanks for your input!

Default Re: Favorite A style mandolin?

I forgot to put here: my ideal price range is between $1.5 and 2k.

You will receive a lot of recommendations. From my personal experience, a vintage Gibson A model(oval hole) or a Kentucky KM950 or 956(f hole) are a very good instruments and should be available within or close to your price range. If you can afford to pay as much as 2500 you should consider a Collings A model (oval hole or f hole).

4. The following members say thank you to Jon Hall for this post:

I have a mandola and an octave mandolin, both are Gallatin A styles and I'm utterly smitten. The most common complaint about Webers is their beefy necks but they're perfect for my hands. I haven't played a Collings but their guitars are worth every penny so I have no doubt their mandolins are comparably superb. Happy hunting!

A used Collings MT would be my recommendation. Good luck and best wishes in the search (the fun part!).

7. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Buck 

Blog Entries

There is a lot of discussion as to what constitutes "professional mandolin". But in your price range you can get a pretty darn good mandolin, which may, in fact, be what you mean.

Besides the fact that a mandolin can do everything, I might be tempted, at that price range, to get something specifically for one of the genres you like. So for example: classical I might take a look at the decent bowlbacks and mandolins where the balance between brilliance and warmth is biased towards the high notes.

Because you are going to love the mandolin, and eventually you are going to get two more mandolins; one for folk, and one for jazz.

A swiss army multi tool knife is a great thing to own, but one would rarely put in the tool box.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Just for the record, the difference between A and F styles is cosmetic only as per Steve Gilchrist and couples others in the know.
    From the start I too have loved the A style for its simple, understated beauty.
    My only advise is buy the one that bowls you over, you know--love at first strum! Then you won't look back. You most likely WILL look ON as your appreciation for mandolins grows and matures.

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

In the price range you mentioned, I'm on board with Caleb(Collings MT, used) or come to think of it can you buy a used Northfield A style at that price point?? Either would be wonderful imo.

There are plenty of vintage Gibson A models out there, so sifting your way through them to find one that really speaks to you could be fun (or exhausting) depending on how long it takes to find one you're smitten by. They do vary considerably with vintage and model - neck size and shape, trussrod or no, paddle head or snake head, etc. A good one can be really great but there are plenty of quite middling ones too. I went down that road and eventually found one that I really liked. It had quite a lot of work done to it (neck, frets, bridge, nut, etc.)

Alternately I'd agree with Caleb's recommendation of a used Collings MT. I've found the Collings MT to be one of the most reliably consistent mandolins out there - with few exceptions, they have excellent tone and projection, they're built to a high standard of quality with excellent woods and craftsmanship, and they're very easy to play. A professional-level instrument without a lot of bling. If you like them you'll like pretty well all of them.

Enjoy the search!
    Gavin Baird F4 & F5, Weber Octar, Gibson K-1, Guild D50, Martin D35, Yairi DY-84, etc...

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

We have several fine builders of exceptional mandolins at our disposal these days. And we should consider ourselves very fortunate for having such unprecedented choices.

That said, I think we should exercise some awareness.

I realize that the OP did not state that he/she prefers the Gibson voice. Further, I also realize the OP is asking for suggestions of favorite A styles. However, it should be stated that if someone has the Gibson sound in mind, then the choice needs to be Gibson. The other builders mentioned thus far in this thread all make some fine instruments. But they don’t sound like a Gibson. Some builders may come close to a Gibson sound (which may be satisfactory for some), but it still won’t have that Gibson flavor.

We all have our auditory preferences. I’m probably among the world’s worst in describing a mandolin’s voice. But I do know what I like. And I know who makes what I like. That particular builder is not Gibson.

So, I have no Gibson-brand bias. I’m just trying to let the OP be aware that mandolins from different builders do not sound alike -- there are modern voices, brighter voices, voices that emphasize low-end or high-end, and on and on. Just like ice cream, there are a lot of flavors out there; just know that vanilla bean and French vanilla are not the same.

13. The following members say thank you to NursingDaBlues for this post:

+1 for the Collings MT mandolins. I own an MT and an MTO. I went through a couple of Kentucky's and Loar's, and two very nice Eastmans. In my opinion the Collings A model mandolins are head and shoulders above these others in tone, playability, and workmanship. Resale is also good on the Collings mandolins, so if you buy one used you should be able to re-sell it in the future at or near your original purchase price.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reesemartin View Post
    What would you recommend for me? (Folk, Jazz, and classical mandolin will be my primary styles) ☺️Thanks for your input!
    While a number of people seem to be recommending A5’s, your musical applications would lend themselves just as well and perhaps better to an oval hole. You don’t say from your fiddle background if you’re interested in vintage instruments with a bit of mojo, but I’d be looking for a Loar era snakehead like this one:

https://bernunzio.com/product/gibson-snakehead-26726/
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Another good choice is the Waterloo WL-M. They seriously are so good they hang with the big boys!

(Aka.. the Waterloo flattop mando sounds so good it competes with high end carved tops.)
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

I've got a 2011 Weber Bitteroot A5 and it's one of the finest mandolins I've ever played, it sounds better than the Fern A5 and my Bitteroot F5

I think I really struck luck with this one,

Dave H
    Last edited by Dave Hanson; Jun-06-2020 at 1:50am. Reason: a small mistake
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

18. The following members say thank you to Dave Hanson for this post:

If you like the Gibson A's...you can get a Montana-built Flatiron A-style from the 80's or early 90's. Gibson couldn't compete with Flatiron, so they bought the company in 1987 or so, and ultimately moved production to Nashville. Plenty of good Flatiron information on these forums if you look around. Lots of people love 'em.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lostsailor For This Useful Post:

Well, there's a nice-looking '23 Gibson A snakehead that just showed up in the classifieds today. I'm glad to stick with my Collings MT recommendation (or MT-O if you're also interested in an oval hole model) but having said that, the snakeheads are often considered among the best of the Gibson A models. Might be worth checking out.

Enjoy!
    Gavin Baird F4 & F5, Weber Octar, Gibson K-1, Guild D50, Martin D35, Yairi DY-84, etc...

I like Collings MT or MT2. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

Save yourself a heap of cash, take a listen to The Loar LM-400.
    If it's for you, head on over to The Banjo Warehouse for big savings. NFI.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

I like my Ratliff CountryBoy and my old Weber Absaroka.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

25. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

I just got a Sachwyn Beaver Tail flat top. Great little mando.
    Northfield NF-5S
    Sawchyn Beaver Tail
    Eastman MD 605
    Eastwood Mandocaster
    Hora Irish Bouzouki

I have one of the original (pre-Koch Brothers acquisition) Shmergel Radiators - got that Radiata soundboard that radiates a lotta sound. Would post a pic but it crashes the whole forum if I try to post it. Got my hearing checked the other day, needed hearing aids. Brought the Shmergel in to have the new hearing aids adjusted so it'd sound nice. Went into the booth to play some samples for the audiologist, now he's deaf, too.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Keep your eyes open for a Gibson A5L. 88 through 93 are a fine group of mandolins. The Flatiron Artist model A's from that period are excellent as well. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    I have one of the original (pre-Koch Brothers acquisition) Shmergel Radiators - got that Radiata soundboard that radiates a lotta sound. Would post a pic but it crashes the whole forum if I try to post it. Got my hearing checked the other day, needed hearing aids. Brought the Shmergel in to have the new hearing aids adjusted so it'd sound nice. Went into the booth to play some samples for the audiologist, now he's deaf, too.
    Didn’t the originals use some radium paint? Or is there actual fissile material that accounts for the radiation signature?
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

31. The following members say thank you to dang for this post:

I've owned two really great A model mandolins, each of which I paid $1,000 for. One was a 1991 Flatiron with F holes. It had a magical tone trending toward bluegrass. I'd still have it save for the tiny neck. The other was a simple 1921 Gibson A model. It had a wonderful loud, full, and round sound. The neck was perfect for me; wide, full perfectly straight. The Gibby was great for old time, celtic and classic. Not so much for bluegrass, which I don't play anyway. I still own it.

Used American made Breedlove A models sound good and are well made.

Save your money and try to find a used Girouard A5 or oval. For not much more and you can have a new Girouard. Fantastic instruments !