Thread: Same string question revisited

Default Same string question revisited

I know I've asked this before, but now I need to buy new strings. What are the closest strings in sound, long-lasting to the D'Addario EXP 75s? I used to use the EJ 75s and liked them, but I found the EXPs even richer and lasted longer. I wonder why D'Addario stopped making them? Is there another D'addario string, or is another company making something comparable to the EXPs? I would be most grateful for your experience with other strings, realizing that it can be somewhat subjective. THanks.
    Daniel Kaufman

Default Re: Same string question revisited

Looks like the EXP line has been replaced by XT.

Go to www.daddario.com and take a look, and search on here. There's a few recent threads comparing the two.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

To alter the question a little, how do Nickel Bronze compare to Phosphorus Bronze?
    Daniel Kaufman

Would someone be so kind as to show me how to find the previous posts on EXP vs. XT strings? I can't seem to figure out the search method.
    Daniel Kaufman

Quote Originally Posted by FrDNicholas View Post
    Would someone be so kind as to show me how to find the previous posts on EXP vs. XT strings? I can't seem to figure out the search method.
    The EXP has been superseded by the XT, so they are no longer in manufacture.

I don't know about the strings, but I have an answer for this question.

Go to a search page such as DuckDuckGo or google. In the search box
    paste this. --> site:https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/

After that leave a space and put in the subject or term you want to find.
    In this case I copied from your post --> EXP vs. XT
    and pasted it behind the first paste, though the order doesn't matter.

In this case second in the list of the returned links was this:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...-Strings/page2

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
    sounds_good

Post Re: Same string question revisited

To alter the question a little, how do Nickel Bronze compare to Phosphorus Bronze?
    You'd really have to try them yourself, FrD. There's no accounting for taste, and the number of variables is not small, either.
    Your ear, instrument, pick, string gauge/s, and personal preference/s just for starters.

I would suggest that you purchase a set of each, as individual results may vary. As the saying so oft misquoted goes, "The proof of the pudding is in the eating".

bon chance!

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Excuse my dumb answer: The closest to the 75 coated D´Addario strings are the 75 uncoated D´Addario strings.

This begs my derailing question: Why do you like coated strings?

Well, it´s beating a dead horse... probably...

I tried coated strings and they lasted insignificantly longer than regular strings. That´s why I never constidered using coated strings as my regular strings (by the way; the best mandolin strings "ever" were the Homespun, Happy Traum, Andy Statman plays them D´Addario made strings; alas they don´t make ´em anymore...). From my perspective you can tell I am a "ruster". But do give coated strings an extra something?

Unfortunately I am a person of quite narrow habits. Once I have something that works (somehow, well, allright etc.), I am not inclined to swap horses in the race. So give me a clue.

(Addendum: My wonderful Strad-O-Lin had been strung with J-75 D´Addario strings until they crusted so terribly over that I needed to change them TODAY, hey jeaah. I used J-74 D´Addario strings. Well the change was very (!) noticable. The strings were just incredibly easy. The sound was there. I am in love with the madnolin all over [it sounded very good with the other strings]. My F-5 is strung with J-75 D´Addario strings. It sound just awesome. Would I change towards a J-74 set... probably. But it sounds so good now.)
    Olaf

9. The following members say thank you to grassrootphilosopher for this post:

Nickel Bronze has less overtones. Chris Eldridge uses them, and says he hears more guitar and less string. I’ve used them on multiple mandolins, guitars, and a dobro, and agree with him. I met Adam Steffey a few years ago, and he used them. Said he could kill any set of strings in a single show, but the NB held up for several, even in the summer with the sweat and humidity.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Just to chime in with an alternative idea...I tried the GHS cryogenic phosphor bronze, and was blown away. I generally don’t like straight pb on my Ratliff, but the ghs “Americana” sounds like a multi week old standard string, without the annoying break in period. I’ve never embraced the Pb strings need to break in, and cringe when the initial jangling happens.
    I also found them to be quite durable.
    My personal preference is ghs silk n steel, and ghs silk n bronze. If you have a mando with lots of punch and volume, try there other ghs offerings, you might be smitten like me
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

12. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post: