Thread: ToneRite Issues

Default ToneRite Issues

I have a question for ToneRite owners.

First, I have been happy with my ToneRite for my guitars, so I decided to get a ToneRite for my mandolins. The problem is that it fits very loose on the strings, especially on the treble side. So loose that the ToneRite unit actually vibrates off the treble strings, resulting in an unacceptable amount of noise, even at the lowest setting. I have a Collings mandolin with standard spacing.

I tried contacting the ToneRite people but so far they have not been helpful.

Do any of my Mandolin Cafe brethren have a similar experience with a ToneRite? Solutions?

Thanks!

Default Re: ToneRite Issues

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snake oil.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	347.8 KB 
ID:	186331

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

Fingerwalker I don’t know the answer to your question, but if you are looking for the best way to mature the sound of your Collings (by the way you should post pictures as we all would love to see!). I would suggest playing it as much as you can and as often as you can.
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joey Anchors For This Useful Post:

I use one ona regular basis and no issues, fits just fine

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hand View Post
    I use one ona regular basis and no issues, fits just fine
    Thank you, Jim. I see you have a round hole mando which sometimes have a wider string spacing than an f hole. Have you used your ToneRite on an f-hole by any chance?

My impression( loose or not..) any vibration artificial or actual play will aid the development of tone. Many use them when they are not playing.

9. The following members say thank you to Stop for this post:

Like Stop said, any vibration will work. You might try putting it between bridge and tailpiece. I did that with my octave, The regular mandollin Tone Rite didn't fit comfortably in the normal position but it worked great "below" the bridge.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Tonerite 3G fits fairly snug with standard width - easy to insert and to get out, but not falling out. I am hesitant to leave it on in a vertical position, since with the vibrations, especially at higher settings, it slides right down against the bridge, and I'm afraid it will vibrate the bridge out of position.

On a wide neck (two different ones) it definitely fits more loosely and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it vibrated itself loose, or even just fell out. I would not want to leave it unattended without some way to make sure it wouldn't fall and hurt the instrument.

As far as solutions, I'd try David's suggestion to put it between the bridge and tailpiece, or possibly try to rig some kind of padded strap to secure it with velcro? And of course Joey's solution is a fine one too.

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    Like Stop said, any vibration will work. You might try putting it between bridge and tailpiece. I did that with my octave, The regular mandollin Tone Rite didn't fit comfortably in the normal position but it worked great "below" the bridge.
    David-
    This works perfectly. I had placed the TR above the bridge while on a stand, so the mandolin was vertical. It would slip down and touch the bridge, then the treble side would come off the strings. Placing the unit just below the bridge holds the TR in place since the strings narrow at the tailpiece. No more annoying and loud rattling. Now just the normal hummmm of the ToneRite.

As an aside, I emailed the ToneRite people several times with no response. Their customer service is less than awful. Without a solution I was going to return this unit on Monday.

Thank you to all!

Quote Originally Posted by Fingerwalker View Post
    Thank you, Jim. I see you have a round hole mando which sometimes have a wider string spacing than an f hole. Have you used your ToneRite on an f-hole by any chance?
    Sorry that is an old pic I no longer have that mando. My current mando has F holes with a 13/16 neck and no problems holding the TR in place.

Never understood why the "anti" people would want to go onto a thread they don't agree with just to ridicule and insist their opinion be known.

You see it often on threads like TR, BC's, etc. Why not allow other to have their opinions without ridicule?

What cumpulsion is that?
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

“Tonerite Issues”
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by ccravens View Post
    Never understood why the "anti" people would want to go onto a thread they don't agree with just to ridicule and insist their opinion be known.

You see it often on threads like TR, BC's, etc. Why not allow other to have their opinions without ridicule?

What cumpulsion is that?
    Oh c'mon! It sure makes life a lot more fun, don't ya think?