Thread: Carter Vintage Guitars on GibsonTV

Blog Entries

Default Carter Vintage Guitars on GibsonTV

Really enjoyed this. And... wait for it... wait...

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Carter Vintage Guitars on GibsonTV

Isnt he still working for Gibson in Marketing or something? If he is where is his suit? I dont like that guy. Arrogant.

Blog Entries

To quote the interviewer, starting around 4:35: "how is it that these, like tiny, tiny things cost so much? What IS it about the mandolin?"

5. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Carter Vintage Guitars is amazing, and Walter and Christie Carter are sympathetic, knowledgeable people. Even an interview conducted by a clueless, walking cliche like Mark Agnesi cannot detract from what a wonderful place it is.
    Last edited by sblock; Jun-05-2020 at 1:52pm.

Walter not Howard.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Grieser For This Useful Post:

The store looks like a treasure trove. Very Nice stuff in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Walter not Howard.
    Howard is Walter's evil twin brother.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Walter not Howard.
    Actually, Howard Carter is the archaeologist who discovered King Tut's tomb. Both Howard and Walter Carter can rightfully claim to have discovered genuine treasures in their time!

I visited Carters before heading to Monroe Camp last year. What a treat. You could spend hours in there and still not play every mandolin. Highly recommended.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Walter Carter has an excellent book thats been out for a couple years, "Gibson Guitars: 100 Years of an American Icon", its dandy!

d

Stopped by about a week ago on my way home from Mom's. Amazing store and almost "too much" inventory -- if that is possible...I don't think it is. Anyway, most of Nashville was just reopening after the COVID-19 precautions, so I decided to check their website and call ahead. I'm glad I did. Yes, they were open, but by appointment only. They made it clear they weren't really open for browsing, but if I had a certain instrument in mind, I could schedule an appointment. I told them what I was interested in and Wednesday a week ago, I had the ENTIRE store to myself from 2-3pm. Talk about the star treatment! (or is it social distancing?) I got there an hour an a half early to get the feel of things and noticed one man leaving, then another guy pulling up, calling, and going in. I noticed they share a parking lot with Arnold's restaurant which is one of Nashville's well-known "meat and 3" cafeteria style restaurants, anyway there was a steady flow to Arnolds, so I ate there while I waited my turn. Great food, by the way. I had about 15 minutes to kill at this point, so I walked around the block, but noticed the COVID instructions on the door of Carter's. Mask must be worn, check. Temperature will be taken -- oops! What was that spicy squash casserole I just ate at Arnolds? I felt my forehead, oh no! I didn't want to be denied entrance due to a "technicality".....jumped in the car, turned the AC on 60 and directed all the vents to my forehead with the high fan setting. My time was getting close and I called and someone met me at the door. They welcomed me in -- no temperature was taken, false alarm! Anyway, the employee took me to one of several demo rooms packed with vintage tube amps (sorry guys, no mandolin content this time, I had my eye on an old electric guitar like I used to own 30 years ago, which was stolen.) Anyway, not a huge purchase, but I liked it and ended up buying the guitar. I saw Walter at his desk and mentioned we had met about 20 years ago when he and Christie worked for Gruhn's. He knocked a $100 off the price, which more than paid for the tax and threw in a free t-shirt and stickers. A great experience and a great way to kill a couple hours in Nashville on a rainy afternoon -- I recommend Arnold's, as well. Parking is free next to Carter's building on the right side of the building only.

While Walter was finishing a phone call, I did make a quick circle around the store, but again, almost too much stuff to take in all at once. I did see the Loar showcases, but was satisfied with what I found (and was able to afford!) I will say that besides Walter and Christie I counted FIVE other employees (there may have been more) on the floor and Walter said they didn't let anybody go during the pandemic, so my hats are off to them for that! Also, all the employees were super nice and friendly.

I also called Gruhn and Rumble Seat Music which are both nearby, but weren't keeping regular hours for browsing, just by appointment only, like Carter's was doing, so I felt satisfied and hopped on the interstate and headed home.
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Jun-06-2020 at 9:52pm.