Thread: Autumn Leaves - Mandolin Chord Melody [Tab]

Default Autumn Leaves - Mandolin Chord Melody [Tab]

Tab

2. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Wild For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Autumn Leaves - Mandolin Chord Melody [Tab]

Nice playing, and thanks for the tab.

4. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

Nice! Here's my version:
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to John Rosett For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great playing! Thank you for the video.

Nice! I've played that tune on 100s of gigs on several different instruments; an iconic jazz standard- take the time to learn it and you get to play it 100s and 100s of times for life in all kinds of situations.

Ted E's jazz mando site had a fantastic harmonic analysis of this tune several years ago complete with all the mandolin tab nerdiness you could ask for. Is there a link still around for it?

If you know this tune, add a simple I-IV-V intro section in E minor and you also have all the changes for the Rosenburg Trio's smokin' hot Gypsy swing tune "For Sephora"....

In no way do I want to be critical of your effort, but I would like to point out this one thing. This is a jazz standard that gets played on almost every instrument you can imagine. The tab chart expresses a common frustration with many mandolin tabs I see: it is written like the mandolin is the one and only center of the universe. I generally see this tune as one to be played with others and your charts usually get carried around in an attempt to communicate with other players. Put the chord changes in big bold letters above the tab clef like happens with the Real books and Fake books and almost every other song charts printed. It will make a difference for the learner, the player, and every one else involved.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

JstringNevin 

Hope it's OK if I join this party!

Here's a mandolin and guitar version I recorded about 15 years ago. (Guitar on Tuesday, mandolin on Wednesday.)

02 Autumn Leaves.mp3

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Clausen For This Useful Post:

Bruce, I really like your version. This is a song that my Mom really loved, and I think about her fondly when I hear it.
    Thanks,
    Sue

NIce job, good sounding mandolin.

14. The following members say thank you to Bob Buckingham for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    This is a song that my Mom really loved, and I think about her fondly when I hear it.
    Thank you, Sue, that's nice to hear. I wonder if your Mom and I are from the same generation; I had a teacher in grade school that loved the song and taught all us 10-year-olds to sing it. That'd be around 1955. Later on, Miles Davis's record made a big impression on my high school crowd.

It's great to have several versions posted here. Thanks, MW and John! Anyone else?

My Mom was a bit older than you, Bruce. When you were learning the song in 1955, she was a young adult planning her wedding

I didn't know that tune even had any words to sing. I've never heard a version with singing.

Best,
    Sue

Well, nearly the same generation anyway, Sue. It was around the mid-fifties that Autumn Leaves was a big international hit. I remember hearing the glitzy piano version by Roger Williams back then, and when I played with him a couple of times in the seventies, it was still his biggest success.

For the lyrics, there's lots of nice vocal versions posted on Youtube (Frank Sinatra, Nat Cole, Keely Smith , etc.). Plus a gorgeous version with the original French lyrics, sung by Yves Montand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur9XthDjkq0

18. The following members say thank you to Bruce Clausen for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Clausen View Post
    ....Later on, Miles Davis's record made a big impression on my high school crowd...
    Are you talking about a Miles Davis record or Cannonball Adderley's version on Somethin' Else where Miles was a guest musician on Cannonball's recording? That one is my favorite; everybody in the band absolutely killin' it but with Cannonball's sensibility keeping them all on track. The whole recording is A+.
    www.condino.com

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

Nicely played. You’ve really pulled some great tone from that Eastman too.
    2014 AL Smart F5
    1988 Givens A
    1921 Gibson A
    2009 Peter Zwinakis Selmer Guitar
    2002 Martin D-18V
    1999 Huss and Dalton CM Custom
    Several Old Fiddles

Quote Originally Posted by j. condino View Post
    Are you talking about a Miles Davis record or Cannonball Adderley's version on Somethin' Else where Miles was a guest musician on Cannonball's recording? That one is my favorite; everybody in the band absolutely killin' it but with Cannonball's sensibility keeping them all on track. The whole recording is A+.
    Good question, James. I remember Cannonball's version (with the minor 6th vamp), but didn't recall that the trumpet there was Miles. The version we all heard in high school was quicker, and started with the dotted-quarter-eighth shots, like on my recording. Not sure which album that was on.

I wasn't a big Miles Davis fan, but one time when he was in town some school chums went over to the Blackhawk and stood around in the alley behind the club listening to the band all evening, since they were too young to walk in the front door. Devoted high school hipsters!

23. The following members say thank you to Bruce Clausen for this post:

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

What a great thread and great playing... THANKS to all!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

25. The following members say thank you to EdHanrahan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Clausen View Post
    ..... stood around in the alley behind the club....
    Just for "the music"???

I think it was a favor for Cannonball doing the Kind of Blue sessions and only receiving something like $225 union wage while Miles made millions off the recording. Isn't that when he bought his first gullwing Mercedes while everyone else carpooled to the gigs? With Cannonball calling the shots and Miles being an excellent team player in that recording, it really stands out. Not to mention the bass player gets to open and close the song!

Thanks again for this posting I've been playing the song almost daily since I first saw it.... my looper pedal and I have been the virtual band playing all the parts on mandolin, guitar, and double bass...
    www.condino.com

Thanks, James! Yeah, I think in this case they really were there just for the music. We were all jazz nerds.

As for the Mercedes, I thought I remembered something about Miles getting a Lamborghini. That must have been later on, when he had the great sixties quintet with Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter.

I've been playing the song almost daily since I first saw it.... my looper pedal and I have been the virtual band playing all the parts on mandolin, guitar, and double bass...
    Wow! Hope you'll post what you've got here.

Here is a great link for the charts and a melodic breakdown specific for mandolin for Autumn Leaves. Thanks to Ted over at jazzmando.com for the work!

http://jazzmando.com/tips/archives/001819.shtml
    www.condino.com

Thank you for the wonderful video and the Tab! This made my day.

Just for "the music"???

I think it was a favor for Cannonball doing the Kind of Blue sessions and only receiving something like $225 union wage while Miles made millions off the recording. Isn't that when he bought his first gullwing Mercedes while everyone else carpooled to the gigs? With Cannonball calling the shots and Miles being an excellent team player in that recording, it really stands out. Not to mention the bass player gets to open and close the song!

Thanks again for this posting I've been playing the song almost daily since I first saw it.... my looper pedal and I have been the virtual band playing all the parts on mandolin, guitar, and double bass...
    I think it was Adderley's first album as a leader. Miles did not hold back anything, and with along Sam Jones et al, they made a great record. It's on a lot of must-have jazz record lists, including mine. Since then it has probably been the first tune most bass players learn, including myself. Every chord type is represented except full diminished. For a tune with every chord type represented, you have to go to Body and Soul.