Thread: Nigel Gatherer's Mandomania interviews

Default Nigel Gatherer's Mandomania interviews

Might be of interest?

4 short interviews by Scots mandolin teacher/guru Nigel Gatherer with Simon Mayor, Laura Beth Salter, Barbara Pommerenke-Steele and myself on our influential mandolin players.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kmmando For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Nigel Gatherer's Mandomania interviews

Hi,

That was an interesting watch, thanks for posting. I started the mandolin in the mid-90’s and had lessons from Nigel for a few years, so it triggered a lot of memories.

I remember going to Edinburgh Folk Club around that time to see Andy Irvine and how he played the mandolin, but he never played one the whole evening. Similarly, a few years later, I went to see Andy Statman play in the San Francisco Jazz Festival. He only played the mandolin on four numbers, playing the clarinet the rest of the time, nevertheless it was among the best concerts I’ve ever been to.

It got me thinking about some of the great players I’ve seen like Andy Statman, David Grisman, Mike Marshall, John Reischman, Chris Thile, etc and how although I really enjoy them live in concert, I seldom play their recordings. In contrast, I play Don Stiernberg and Will Patton (neither who I’ve seen in concert), all the time!

Anyway, thanks for the memories.

Regards,

4. The following members say thank you to mandrian for this post:

Default Re: Nigel Gatherer's Mandomania interviews

I posted this over on another thread, which you might not have seen, but you'll find Andy Statman playing the mandolin brilliantly at about 12.40 into the 1978 film.

Cheers Kevin

6. The following members say thank you to kmmando for this post: