Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I being to Critical on New Mandolin

Default Re: Am I being to Critical on New Mandolin

Sounds like you not happy...I'd send it back for refund.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

2. The following members say thank you to J Mangio for this post:

Question Re: Am I being to Critical on New Mandolin

I'd say, Given : It's a mass produced Import , your Kentucky KM-272 is typical of the others likre it shipped across the Sea,
    of a natural material,

Now .. you can shift your focus to playing music & making some scratches
    and blemishes of your own..

Enjoy being Alive..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandroid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Am I the only one who feels that the abuse of Amazon's liberal return policy is not a victimless crime? Conventional logic would say that it was designed to address flaws or damage, certainly, but not designed for "cherry picking" IMHO! I'm thinking if you couldn't/wouldn't try this at your local music store, you shouldn't do it with Amazon.
    No, you're not the only one. And everyone else who does normal business with Amazon pays extra to cover the costs of the people who abuse the system.

Jim

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oregon Jim For This Useful Post:

Apropos of nothing in particular, a brief comparison of my first mandolin in terms of 1965 and 2020 dollars; a Central European, probably Czech, pawnshop bowlback cost me (IIRC) $39.00. In today's market, that would be about $325. (Today's $400 mandolin would have been about $50 back then).

It was cheaply made, and the brass frets wore out in about a year. Re-fretting would have cost far more than the instrument would be worth. So it was basically a use-and-throw-away sort of thing. I don't think spending an additional $10 would have bought me a significantly better mandolin. The instrument in question here is probably better made than the one I bought, but it must be understood that in terms of expenditure of funds, materials, and construction quality, setting expectations to a level that exceeds practical considerations will seldom produce a satisfactory outcome.

Everyone is different, obviously, but I would frankly welcome the depression in the finish/wood as a sign that the manufacturer didn’t cake the finish on so thick as to rob it of tone.

9. The following members say thank you to archerscreek for this post:

I’m not going to feel bad for Amazon. Their policy was designed to take sales away from businesses they drove out of business. And if one wants timely shipping now with Amazon, they have to pay $120 for a yearly membership which they somehow convinced people gives them free shipping. Keep sending that Kentucky back until it comes back a Gilchrist!!! Lol

11. The following members say thank you to archerscreek for this post:

Since you raised the question, it appears you have doubts about some 'value' perception and quelling them seems to require sending the instrument back.

Its your money, satisfy yourself.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

The cost of the instrument would be the deciding factor for me. At a certain price point you better believe fit and finish matters. On something cheap it wouldn't matter so long as the instrument was playable and sounded good. If you are buying a 500 dollar pac rim instrument you really shouldn't expect perfection. Having said all that, I quite like bear claws and mineral streaks and spots.