Thread: New Joe Campanella F-5 at The Music Emporium

Blog Entries

Default New Joe Campanella F-5 at The Music Emporium

This appeared on The Music Emporium's social media yesterday. Anyone looking for one of these, they don't appear often and usually are not in stock long. I think his work is some of the most interesting being done. Not everyone's cup of tea, but boy, sure like the sound of these. YMMV.

From their post:

We are happy to have luthier Joe Campanella’s latest F5–serial number 100–in stock. If you know Campanella’s mandolins, you’ll recognize this instrument’s artistry right away. And it features some gorgeous reserve stock tonewoods Campanella saved to commemorate the occasion of his 100th build. Watch for it on our site soon!

Name:  100785669_10157594618203651_5915915316747042816_o.jpg
Views: 1827
Size:  137.0 KB

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Default Re: New Joe Campanella F-5 at The Music Emporium

I have a F style Mandocello Joe built for me, and it is a most amazing instrument. He does just the best work you can imagine
    John D

Seriously beautiful instrument, with so much old violin vibe!

I went to the ME web site and can't find mention of it...

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

This was a social media teaser. It's not on the site yet. Might not make it to their site either as rare as these are. I've never had the opportunity to play one but they sure do look beautiful!
    Looks like the have a new Kimble F5 hitting the site soon too.

It’s going up on their site soon and has yet to be taken. They expect to sell it within a week of listing it.

Another word - word is that Joe Cleary won’t be taking any more custom build orders and will be selling direct through TME exclusively.

Quote Originally Posted by LMF View Post
    It’s going up on their site soon and has yet to be taken. They expect to sell it within a week of listing it.

Another word - word is that Joe Cleary won’t be taking any more custom build orders and will be selling direct through TME exclusively.
    Joe stopped taking orders last summer, and has been TME exclusive since then.

He’s also raised his prices. Sit down before you look at the listing.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    This was a social media teaser. It's not on the site yet. Might not make it to their site either as rare as these are. I've never had the opportunity to play one but they sure do look beautiful!
    Looks like the have a new Kimble F5 hitting the site soon too.
    They are going to have a used Duff F5 this week too, just as soon as I get it packed up.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Hi Mandobar,
    I don't see any Campanella info at the Music Emporium site. Do you have a link? And, if you or anyone else knows, does this mean that an order starts at TME, or do you need to wait until Joe lists an instrument with them?

Thanks.
    Cornelius Morris

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    They are going to have a used Duff F5 this week too, just as soon as I get it packed up.
    Hi Mandobar, what year is your Duff?

Cheers,
    Z
    Member since 2003!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius Morris View Post
    Hi Mandobar,
    I don't see any Campanella info at the Music Emporium site. Do you have a link? And, if you or anyone else knows, does this mean that an order starts at TME, or do you need to wait until Joe lists an instrument with them?

Thanks.
    Contact Andy at TME. He is working with Joe. Not sure Joe is taking orders or just building and sending what he builds there. It’s been a few years since they received anything from him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mingusb1 View Post
    Hi Mandobar, what year is your Duff?

Cheers,
    Z
    2004. Here’s the old listing. https://themusicemporium.com/new-arrivals/duff-f5-2004

Contact Adam at TME. It’s all boxed and waiting for UPS pickup tomorrow morning.

Kept checking site all week and it wasn't listed. Looked today and the F-5, and a new Due, both sold (or pending). Beautiful instruments.

Things move fast at TME.

Price on the F is understandable. $10k is kind of a new benchmark for luthier-built F5s. Glad to see Kimble has joined that price range too. $8,300 for the two point Campanella was a bit eye opening....

16. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

I think the prices went up about 20/25%.

Worth every penny in my book. Won’t be long until someone asks. How could anyone pay this much for a Mandolin?
    Or..... is Campanella mandolins worth 9 times what a 1k Mando ???
    John D

If you listen to the YouTube of the F5.....Absolutely........stunning!

https://youtu.be/xPtZgz_dczU

Real distinctive voice on that F-5.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    If you listen to the YouTube of the F5.....Absolutely........stunning!

https://youtu.be/xPtZgz_dczU
    And let's hear it for the playing in this video. Well done Jordan Santiago!

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Franc Homier Lieu For This Useful Post:

I would love to hear an older instrument with a bit of playing time on it Big fan from the videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Growth View Post
    I would love to hear an older instrument with a bit of playing time on it Big fan from the videos.
    These are voiced very differently than the older ones. He's really hit his stride on these. While the older ones are great, those from the last three years are more responsive (you don't have to really dig deep to get the volume and tone you are looking for), and the last F5 I played was so Loar-like that despite the unconventional look, it was a great bluegrass instrument.

Personally, the F5 was a bargain at just over $10k. I would have expected the price to be more on the higher side of $12k, in line with Ellis and Collings (although a Collings could run a bit more, dependent on the appointments). An A5 is over $6k, at least from what I remember. I love the swirled scroll on the F5. It has somewhat of a "contemporary" flair.

I have a 2018 Campanella A-5 that I took a chance on after discussing with Mandobar. It is unique in sound and responsiveness and a delight to play. I don’t know if Joe voiced this F-5 differently from mine and more toward a vintage Loar sound but I am very satisfied with mine.

I wish I could play the Bach Chaconne on mine but I can see how it would be well-suited. Even playing pianissimo you get rounded notes and sweet overtones.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Campanellas inspire awful words - lust, envy, desire.
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo