Thread: Quarantine MAS most likely resolved!

Default Quarantine MAS most likely resolved!

So I just got the 2nd half of my "quarantine" MAS this afternoon. I sold a couple of mandolins at the beginning of the lock down and have been really soul searching for what I want to have to play for now and possibly for a long time to come based on my observations!

I ended up with a Pava A5 Wide Nut Torrefied Top Satin Finish courtesy of The Mandolin Store. Can't recommend them enough. They were very fair on my trade in and it was an overall great transaction. This mandolin speaks to me. Enough bark for bluegrass, but enough finesse for anything else you throw at it.

The 2nd one was a J.L. Smith 4 string electric that just arrived today. It has a maple body, some flamed Satinwood top, maple neck, and a single humbucker. Very cool mando that can do whatever I need it to, from silent practice on a Saturday morning to a full band gig on Saturday night. John Smith was great to work with.

Here's a pic. I'm in mandolin heaven. That is all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200530_212557.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	342.1 KB 
ID:	186253
    Jake B.
    Charleston, SC

2. The following members say thank you to Jake Biddix for this post:

Default Re: Quarantine MAS most likely resolved!

Gorgeous mandolin, congrats!

Rob

Thanks Rob. I am counting my blessings, as they say. I used to have an import Fender Mando-Strat for my electric. I really never bonded with it. This JL Smith electric is 100% better in every way. Easy to play, sounds great, the tone and volume controls actually make a difference! And I tell you, the Pava is phenomenal. I have always been wary of "smaller" builders for no good reason. Wow, what a lesson I learned.
    Jake B.
    Charleston, SC

There's a pair to beat a flush! I'm a sucker for a flame top It sounds like you've got a lot of good times coming!

Thanks urobourous! I was initially looking for a natural finish on the electric, but I agree that flame top just pops out. I used to have an import mandostrat that was hard to play. John's electric mandolins play like butter. And decently priced as well! I have had so much joy playing both of these over the past few days.
    Jake B.
    Charleston, SC