Thread: Roadie-2 Tuner and Winder

Default Roadie-2 Tuner and Winder

I just saw an ad for as Roadie-2. It appears to perform two functions, winding the tuners and tuning the instrument. Any of my Mandolin Cafe colleagues have any experience with this. One frustration I seem to have with peg head winders is that they are made to fit all instruments, meaning the mandolin tuner pegs are smaller and flop inside the winder. They still work but are a bit floppy. Back to the Roadie-2. Any info would be appreciated.
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola
    McSpadden Custom Mountain Dulcimer
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Travel Guitar
    "Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave and die trying to get back to." Nash

Default Re: Roadie-2 Tuner and Winder

For $130, I'll use my old d'Addario tuner and Hill Country "crank."
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

A tuner and a winder!?

All it needs is a pick,a wire cutter,and a polishing cloth.

Then I might consider it.

I wouldn't want the extra mass of a winder on the peg head if I leave the tuner on,as I sometimes do. If the $130 price is correct, that is absurd. Take a twenty dollar device and a five dollar device and combine them for $130?

Quote Originally Posted by V70416 View Post
    A tuner and a winder!?

All it needs is a pick,a wire cutter,and a polishing cloth.

Then I might consider it.
    For that kind of money, it need a waffle-maker, too.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Seems a little like buying a heavy and expensive new machine to tie your shoes. It's a neat trick that someone could invent one but really whats the point?

Then again I wish Guitar Center would buy one and hire one of their "experienced technicians" to go around each day and tune the merchandise. Its hard to try out stuff without spending half your time tuning. You would think they were getting tired of me going in there each week playing their top of the line stuff for an hour and then leaving without a purchase. Or then again maybe they're figuring I'm going to come in once a week and tune everything for them for free so-- jokes on me.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Thanks to all. Great comments. I agree. I am staying with my present system. I have a Grip Bit from MusicNomad, which I will plug into a cordless screwdriver or a ratchet screwdriver, saving a lot of money. The more I thought about it, my life experience has taught me that when too many functions are combined in one device, there are compromises in each of the individual functions. I am an older player with some arthritis issues. Restringing my mandolin is challenging because of the tension on the tuners and the close proximity to each other. Thanks again for all the fine commentary that I expect from Mandolin Cafe colleagues.
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola
    McSpadden Custom Mountain Dulcimer
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Travel Guitar
    "Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave and die trying to get back to." Nash

dulcillini,I can relate to the old and arthritic thing. I need three hands and an extra thumb to change strings.

It helps me to hold the mandolin between my knees with cleaning cloth, cutters, winder,big graphite pencil, small needle-nose clamps or pliers, tuner and the strings all within easy reach with either hand.

Whatever comfortable/safe system works for you, but a systemic approach is good imho. A wide horizontal, padded surface with a neck-rest/clamp
    is nice and safe.

Watching other people change strings helped me. Especially at festivals and such. Pickers of acoustic string music
    are the most helpful, sharing people ,as a group, that I have ever encountered.

Lets' pick one!