View Poll Results: Do you use a beveled pick or rounded edge?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Beveled

4 33.33%
  • Rounded

8 66.67%

Thread: Poll: do use use a bevel edge or round edge pick?

Default Poll: do use use a bevel edge or round edge pick?

I am trying to set up a poll. I may fail. The question is for classical players: do you use a beveled edge pick or round edge pick?

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Default Re: Poll: do use use a bevel edge or round edge pick?

Even if I start with a knife like bevel, it pretty quickly wears to roundish. Different materials wear at different rates, but the end result is roughly the same. So long as the edges aren't squarish, the general angle of the point is more important to me. When I file and buff to correct angle on a wearing point, I generally do so in a way that imparts a roundish edge.

3. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post:

I use these most of the time, and the edges are not beveled:

Dunlop Ultex Sharp .73

or the extremely similar

Clayton Ultem Spike .72

Both picks are thin enough to be delicate when needed but stiff enough for power when needed. The very sharp tips make for accurate picking and precise tremolo, and the material wears well and lasts a long time. Plus they are relatively inexpensive.

I also use these on guitar except for Gypsy jazz.

Now, I do NOT play archtop carved top long scale Gibson-style mandolins, but use bowlbacks and European style flatback mandolins exclusively.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

I don’t consider myself a classical player, but I dabble a bit. Regardless of the style I’m playing I use 1.4 mm right hand beveled picks (BC CT-55 or Wegen TF 140), but my mandos presently are all arch topped. When I had my flatiron 1N I used a TF 120 or a BC TAD 50 on it, as the lighter strings and flat top didn’t require the thicker picks.

7. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

The response so far (showing four rounds to one bevel) totally surprises me! I expected very few would not use a bevel. I personally far more enjoy a rounded edge. I probably should have made four choices, in retrospect:
    1) rounded edge with mild or rounded point
    2) rounded edge and very pointed
    3) beveled with mild or rounded point
    4) beveled and very pointed
    However, I think the idea of “pointy” becomes perhaps too subjective.
    Last edited by Tim Logan; May-29-2020 at 12:46pm.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Logan View Post
    2) rounded edge and very pointed
    That's my choice!

10. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

For me, it depends on the instrument. On my bowlbacks, I use a rounded edge nylon pick (I don't think you can put a meaningful bevel on nylon) and on my Gibson and Mid-Mo I use a 1mm Wegen pick with a bevel. They're very specific matches to the instruments: I've tried swapping them around and I can't make it work at all.

For what it's worth, on my mandocello I use a large stiff clear plastic triangle pick with sharp pointed tips (no bevel) -- they're the tool of choice to coax some treble tone out of the flatwound TI mandocello strings.

Martin

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Not to put too fine a point on it, so to speak, but people have "pick collections" which include all manner of pointedness, weights, bevels, materials, etc. Why? Because of the many variables that come into play when you choose a pick to play with: what instrument are you using (thanks, Martin Jonas)?; what strings are on that instrument?; what is the style of music you are playing?; and, I suppose, in some cases, what is the particular piece?

My two cents.

Joe

14. The following members say thank you to Joe Bartl for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bartl View Post
    Not to put too fine a point on it, so to speak, but people have "pick collections" which include all manner of pointedness, weights, bevels, materials, etc. Why? Because of the many variables that come into play when you choose a pick to play with: what instrument are you using (thanks, Martin Jonas)?; what strings are on that instrument?; what is the style of music you are playing?; and, I suppose, in some cases, what is the particular piece?

My two cents.

Joe
    Aye.

What you all said, definitely, but this neophyte has learned something surprising to me: talented classical players do not shy away from rounded edges. I like them but sort of assumed it was considered a “no-no”. I have learned from these posts and votes. Thank you!

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Not sure which kind you'd call this. I like it broken in a bit, and not out-of-the-bag newClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7723.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	354.5 KB 
ID:	186254.

18. The following members say thank you to Phil.Woodhull for this post:

I use "BlueChip TAD-1R 40". It has very smooth beveled edges and it maintains its shape for a very, very long time. In my experience about 1000 hours of playing and some more.
    Toomas Rannu

20. The following members say thank you to Toomas Rannu for this post:

Blog Entries

I use the Dunlop Ultex, the standard flat pick (1.0mm) which has a symmetrical bevel all around.

Then again, I am not mainly a classical player. The shape allows a dark tone if I angle the pick, and brighter if I turn it flat to the strings. I am using round-wound strings, as well.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

22. The following members say thank you to Tom Wright for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
    I use the Dunlop Ultex, the standard flat pick (1.0mm) which has a symmetrical bevel all around.

Then again, I am not mainly a classical player. The shape allows a dark tone if I angle the pick, and brighter if I turn it flat to the strings. I am using round-wound strings, as well.
    From my from view at the bottom looking up, LOL, this:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...e-3-in-C-major
    says you are an amazing musician (I loved that performance). Thank you for participating in this survey!

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

As many of you have stated, I have a box of picks collected through the years mainly just to try out based on recs from here or artists I like. I keep a couple of lighter/slimmer picks around to loan guitar playing buddies, but have given most of those away. I really have settled on the BC and Wegens listed above, and will even use Wegens in high risk situations, like lake docks, lol. Tried Primetones, Dawg/Golden Gate, Tortex, Ultex, Gator, Big Stubby, Clayton, Fender/Gibson celluloid, some jazz style picks, etc, but really just prefer these two. 🤷#♂️ May change tomorrow, but for now that’s where I’m at...

25. The following members say thank you to CES for this post: