Thread: Northfield Calhoun

Default Northfield Calhoun

I'm thinking about buying one of the relatively new Northfield Calhoun models. I'd appreciate your thoughts and/or feedback on this model to assist in making my decision to buy.

Default Re: Northfield Calhoun

I haven't seen one of these in person yet, but I think they look great, and they sound good in the hands of the players Northfield has posted videos of. I have a Northfield Model M that I love, and these Calhouns look just as well-made, in a simpler form. It's a very cool company, IMO. Adrian Bagale, one of the founders, was a guest on the most recent episode of the Mandolins and Beer podcast, and he talks about the Calhoun model a bit. Worth a listen for that, and for the company's story in general.

I played one in Gryphon Strings and liked it.
    Not quite as good as the Collings Waterloo, but half the price.

4. The following members say thank you to stevojack665 for this post:

I played one briefly in the Northfield tent at last year's Grey Fox Festival. I was impressed. The build seemed light but solid, the tone unexpectedly pleasant, and playability evident. I was tempted to buy it ... but my herd is already consuming too much real estate.

I bit the bullet and got one from Elderly in January. It has a very pleasant tone and handles the mid to low range better than my The Loar f style. Thought it would be my primary but, interestingly enough, I enjoy splitting my time about 50/50 with the 2. Both are keepers.
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

7. The following members say thank you to FredK for this post: