Thread: Playing quiet=Good Tone?

Default Playing quiet=Good Tone?

I just wanted to throw this question out there as it has come up in discussion lately with some musician friends of mine. I know someone who plays very quietly so that they can't be heard unless everyone basically stops playing when they take a break. Although it seems they do have good tone when they can actually be heard. I think most jams could use some quieting down and listening, playing respectfully and only as loud as is needed, etc. so I'm not bashing the idea that people need to play quietly to hear this person...but it does seem strange to me that it is commonly perceived as "nice" when the tone also doesn't cut through at all to be heard. Is this a new thing? For instance, do you guys think Bill Monroe had good or bad tone on his mandolin? Just wondering what people might say to this. Thanks.

Default Re: Playing quiet=Good Tone?

Just banging away on it isn't the ticket to good tone. But playing too quiet isn't either. The middle of the dynamic range allowing you to actually play with suitable dynamics is probably the sweet spot for most instruments. Though individual instruments will vary a bit, some will respond well to being pushed a bit harder than others.
    '91 Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A / Eastman MD-315

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caberguy For This Useful Post:

Some players who are quiet come off as timid in their interpretations/playing. Jams might not be for them. Maybe forming a band or solo performance are best for their style of play.

I'm from a guitar background and with guitar a more experienced player could sound louder with a semi-hollow guitar than a less experienced player with a dreadnought. It's just a learned thing. Half the effort twice the volume, part of learning and gaining pick efficiency.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

When you work on developing tone, slowing things down, listening critically to yourself, playing more softly, and exploring your dynamic range from soft to hard attack, quiet to loud, will serve you well.

Especially if you sing and play, it’s often best to resist temptation to bang out your comping, and try a softer approach that works with your vocals. Find the sweet spot, and work on your dynamics as well as all the other things you practice.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff