Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dreaming of a Great A5 under $6000

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Default Re: Dreaming of a Great A5 under $6000

Stiver, all day long. Rigel if you aren't concerned about stink eye from the Bluegrass Police. Macica (upstate NY) for an off-radar killer A style mandolin and pricing that is kind to the wallet.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

2. The following members say thank you to Dave Greenspoon for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Leyda View Post
    I know there's diminishing returns as you go up but I can't imagine an A getting too much better than this one:
    https://themandolinstore.com/product...efied-varnish/
    I would have to agree Chuck! That's a very nice looking instrument and Pava has a tremendous rep. Thanks,
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Greenspoon View Post
    Stiver, all day long. Rigel if you aren't concerned about stink eye from the Bluegrass Police. Macica (upstate NY) for an off-radar killer A style mandolin and pricing that is kind to the wallet.
    Hi Dave, Have knowledge of Stiver, but have never played one. The Macica sounds like an interesting idea!
    2014 BRW F5 #114

Fiddler & Mandolin Player Dave Reiner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    I wouldn't mess with a Givens. No truss rod = future potential neck problems. Also this... even Givens A6 is not in the same class as a Kimble, Ellis, Northfield A5 Special etc...

Givens is/was an important builder, but I see no justification for the prices that people seem to want for them...
    Well, we all like the mandolins we own :-).

I know you have a few Kimbles, and I'm a giant fan of those as well, having owned an A5 and a two-pointer in the past.

Dave
    '04 Gibson F3, '04 Gibson A4, '06 Gibson F4, '26 Gibson F5, '27 Gibson F4, '87 Givens A6, 2017 Kimble A5

Author, Anthology of Fiddle Styles; Co-author, Oldtime Fiddling Across America
    Genial host, Fiddle Hell Online (coming up on April 11-14, 2024, with 220 concerts, jams, & workshops (incl many for mandolin) and free replays for 4 months)
    Join www.facebook.com/groups/fiddlehellmassachusetts
    Free jams on our YouTube channel YouTube.com/FiddleHell
    More info at fiddlehell.org

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave Reiner For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Reiner View Post
    Well, we all like the mandolins we own :-).

I know you have a few Kimbles, and I'm a giant fan of those as well, having owned an A5 and a two-pointer in the past.

Dave
    I have heard really great things about the Givens mandolins, Dave. No wonder you are glad to have them!
    2014 BRW F5 #114

8. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhorn1 View Post
    Hey Dan PM me or email me robb@elkhornmandolins.com
    You make a beautiful mandolin Robb! Wow, they are impressive. Thank you for sending me to your website.
    2014 BRW F5 #114

lflngpicker - your budget is right in the sweet spot for a lifetime A5! It is unfortunate that I can't recommend that you take a trip to Carter's or Gruhn's in Nashville at this Covid time to sit down and play as many as you can. You've had some great suggestions - some from serial monogamist mandoliners, and some from the MAS-afflicted. Be wary, it may fuel a restless lust for the acme of tone.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Soper For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Greenspoon View Post
    ...Rigel if you aren't concerned about stink eye from the Bluegrass Police.
    I just inherited a Rigel. What warrants the stink eye?

13. The following members say thank you to elbent for this post:

Always entertaining for me, how much we like spending other folks' money....
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Winn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by elbent View Post
    I just inherited a Rigel. What warrants the stink eye?
    The “bluegrass police” reference often comes up when you don’t do things EXACTLY the way traditional bluegrass was meant to be, the way Bill Monroe did it.

The Rigel is an instrument that flies in the face of the traditional F5 mandolin look - but is known for their unique tone, ease of playability and the often incorporated pickup.

I had a Rigel A+ that I loved and sold to my best friend when I moved up in the mando market. We’re still friends, and his Rigel still sounds good when I get to pick it
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dang For This Useful Post:

I have yet to meet the bluegrass police, but I have met the Irish Session Garda. Some polite, some not so polite. In the grand words of Kevin Burke, a man who knows his way around a tune, "it really all depends on where you come from."

There are zealots in every genre. As long as they are polite about it, I respect their viewpoints, to a certain extent.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

19. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    I wouldn't mess with a Givens. No truss rod = future potential neck problems. Also this... even Givens A6 is not in the same class as a Kimble, Ellis, Northfield A5 Special etc...

Givens is/was an important builder, but I see no justification for the prices that people seem to want for them...
    I wouldn’t write off a Givens based on the truss rod. I’ve had mine for over 10 years had no issues. I also have a Pava A5 that is great, but if I had to keep only one it would be the Givens, it is an extremely powerful mandolin. I do agree the prices for the A6’s are really steep.
    2014 AL Smart F5
    1988 Givens A
    1921 Gibson A
    2009 Peter Zwinakis Selmer Guitar
    2002 Martin D-18V
    1999 Huss and Dalton CM Custom
    Several Old Fiddles

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Victor Daniel For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Soper View Post
    lflngpicker - your budget is right in the sweet spot for a lifetime A5! It is unfortunate that I can't recommend that you take a trip to Carter's or Gruhn's in Nashville at this Covid time to sit down and play as many as you can. You've had some great suggestions - some from serial monogamist mandoliners, and some from the MAS-afflicted. Be wary, it may fuel a restless lust for the acme of tone.
    John, This is spot on, but also good writing! I am enjoying and grinning! I did decide not to go this route as I started with a dream and then became more practical. The thread is a good string thanks to the respondents and I hope it keeps going as it is providing great knowledge and exchanges of ideas. Humbly yours,
    2014 BRW F5 #114

I do agree with the adage that at the higher price points you get to instruments that are all world class, pro level instruments, it comes down to what kind of tones and feel you want and it is hard to know without putting your hands on the instrument, and then even within one maker you can get a range. Finding that one instrument that speaks to you is great, whether that means going to Nashville or figuring out a way to hunt and peck until you find it.

24. The following members say thank you to Josh Levine for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by dang View Post
    The “bluegrass police” reference often comes up when you don’t do things EXACTLY the way traditional bluegrass was meant to be, the way Bill Monroe did it.

The Rigel is an instrument that flies in the face of the traditional F5 mandolin look - but is known for their unique tone, ease of playability and the often incorporated pickup.
    That makes sense. I have the G-110 which is made to look like a mini electric guitar. It's adorable and to my untrained ear sounds great. But then again, I'm the type to like a break from tradition It's the only mando I've gotten to play so far. I'd love to try some others.
    1996 Rigel G-110

26. The following members say thank you to elbent for this post:

The hunting and the pecking are getting harder as the supply pool continues to shrink. Quite a few dealers are looking for inventory right now.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

28. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

"Givens is/was an important builder, but I see no justification for the prices that people seem to want for them..."

I have owned a new custom A-3 built for me by Givens hinself, and owned a mint A-6 mint purchased form the first owner. I have played a few others.

I respectfully agree with your comment.

One other consideration is NNS ( narrow nut syndrome) Givens have a tendency toward very narrow.
    ]
    There are the following trite words (paraphrased).. "play a lot of them until you find the "one"..."
    I agree.

I am an A style or dual point fan by choice. Having owned a few F5s.. not my favorite.

When I asked Gilchrist to make an A style...Gilchrist himself told me .. " the A models sound like, and play as well, as the F models. F's take longer to make but the return is higher for the time spent". He was not interested, at the time, in making an A.

If I had my druthers, I'd be looking for an original Phoenix.

Why? By my standards:

Best design, materials and workmanship I have seen.

And unlike the majority of mandolins, an original.

The very same reason I owned Seiffert classical mandolins. An original with no compromise.

Best of luck in your quest.

PS

Price (to me) is not a deterrent to purchase. Let's presume a $6000 budget...Whether higher, or lower, than my intended budget.
    I am not looking for what all the other kids have, or a status symbol. I don't look at price, I look for quality and value.

30. The following members say thank you to Jeff Hildreth for this post:

Without a doubt a Girouard !!

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yankees1 For This Useful Post:

Jeff Hildreth: “If I had my druthers, I'd be looking for an original Phoenix.”

I can agree with that. Beyond the mandolins I own, none of which cost more than $3100, I find it very hard to imagine that (for me) there is a significant ratio of benefit to cost for spending more dollars (even if I could afford it, which I cannot). Caveat: I have never played a $6000 mandolin.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

34. The following members say thank you to Tim Logan for this post:

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

The OPīs premise is an A-5 style (bluegrass-) mandolin.

Therefore I would exclude "different" looking instruments (Rigel, Cohen, Gerhard etc.).

What I am particular about in a traditional A-5 style mandolin (modeled after/inspired by the one and only Lloyd Loar A-5) is the looks.

Some modern makers give the A shape a more teardrop look. I strongly dislike that. I am particular to the pear look of the old A-4 yet with F-holes. In comparing mandolins you will see that many makers forsake the "old" look. Thatīs sad.
    Olaf

36. The following members say thank you to grassrootphilosopher for this post:

If you are willing to look at a lesser known builder who is doing great things with A5s, check out Andy Mueller of Muleskinner Instruments (http://muleskinnerinstruments.com/) in central Vermont.

NFI, but he is a friend and bandmate of mine so I have had the opportunity to play most of the mandolins that have come off his bench. He also built me a dread style acoustic and is in the process of finishing two GBOMs (his first), one of which will be mine.

I know he currently has these two mandos in his shop and they are priced a bit below that 5.2k threshold you were looking at. His attention to detail is really something. One is a pretty traditional maple back and sides and an englemann top. The other is...well, a bit out there, but GORGEOUS. American Sycamore back, sides and neck and an addy top.

Smaller builder in terms of mandos, not yet fully "on the scene" but those who have played his instruments also seem to give them glowing reviews at festivals and such. Plus, you would have the opportunity to either pick from the few he has around the shop or work on a custom build from a hell of a nice guy and talented luthier.

Video of the two mandos with pricing info included in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPaQ1eS9Yrw

38. The following members say thank you to redlineroots for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Leyda View Post
    I know there's diminishing returns as you go up but I can't imagine an A getting too much better than this one:
    https://themandolinstore.com/product...efied-varnish/
    As one who owns a Pava, I will agree that they are excellent (and I need nothing better,) but if I suddenly become wealthy an an Ellis 2-point happened into my path, well, I wouldn't say "no." And I looked at a Collings MT2 when I was looking at my Collings MT, and I bought the MT. Cheaper and I liked the sound better. Just sayin'...

40. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by grassrootphilosopher View Post
    The OPīs premise is an A-5 style (bluegrass-) mandolin.

Therefore I would exclude "different" looking instruments (Rigel, Cohen, Gerhard etc.).

What I am particular about in a traditional A-5 style mandolin (modeled after/inspired by the one and only Lloyd Loar A-5) is the looks.

Some modern makers give the A shape a more teardrop look. I strongly dislike that. I am particular to the pear look of the old A-4 yet with F-holes. In comparing mandolins you will see that many makers forsake the "old" look. Thatīs sad.
    I don't know that OP stated he wanted a bluegrass specific A5 and even so, saying that body shape has to match the Griffith is a pretty strict definition of a bluegrass mandolin. Plenty of great builders making fantastic bluegrass mandolins, including Matt Ruhland who has had a chance to study the Griffith. Not to veer this too far off topic, but the attached photo is my Ruhland #30 next to the Griffith. You can see the difference, but #30 can produce all the bluegrass you want. Lot's of other builders in that camp. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45135288_10161051781265125_6610415587254337536_o (1).jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	395.5 KB 
ID:	186218

42. The following members say thank you to Josh Levine for this post:

Eek, now I've gone on down the rabbit hole: So here you can see 3 modern bluegrass mandolins. I think the Duff in the center is closest to the Griffith shapewise, to the right is a Kimble which is slightly narrower and the Ruhland to the left. They all can deliver the goods, though. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandobacks.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	750.9 KB 
ID:	186220

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Josh Levine For This Useful Post:

I hope I get to see the Griffith A5 in person some day.....

46. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post: