Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Describe your MAS progression

Default Re: Describe your MAS progression

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    I'll know Wednesday. Right now, UPS is taking it on a sightseeing tour of NC, SC and GA. I don't normally buy sight unseen but there's a handful of people on this form that I trust implicitly. Mandomutt (Kevin Douglas) is one of them and he rated it highly.
    That's good stuff. Give us an eval/pics after you've spent some time with it!
    "I actually wanted to be a drummer, but I didn't have any drums." - Stevie Ray Vaughn

Northfield F5S "Blacktop", K&K Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Eastman MD 305--Hooked

Gibson 5FG-- Done
    Efficient!!

3. The following members say thank you to Daniel Infield for this post:

Astro 

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Eastman MD 305--Hooked

Gibson 5FG-- Done
    Yeah. Famous last words.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DHopkins For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LastMohican View Post
    Okay, I've played it a couple of days. It's gonna take some getting used to. I've been playing a Breedlove for several years now and there's enough of a difference that, like I said, it will take some getting used to.

It really sounds great but I've got to be honest. I don't know that it's really much better than what I've been playing. My Bend, Oregon, Breedlove Legacy is a really great mandolin in terms of tone, playability and workmanship. So is the Gibson but at a much higher price.

The Gibson has great sustain and a nice warm tone. I'm gonna keep working with it because, hopefully, I'll only get better with it. I certainly don't regret the purchase. On a side note, Mandomutt (Kevin Douglas) is great to do business with.
    David Hopkins

McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

I started in 2016 on the no-name F style in my avatar. A few months later, my family surprised me with an Eastman MD315. I played it for a few years, then fell off of playing for another few years. I sold the Eastman a few months ago, convinced I was done.

Earlier this week, my dad passed away, and I think it's time for me to get back into it. I went from zero mandolins to:

'15 Gibson Doyle Lawson
    Sparks F model
    late 70's Ibanez F
    the no-name F
    early 1920-something Gibson A
    virtually unplayable Harmony A that belonged to my dad's father
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

In Illinois, halfway between here and there.

As I've mentioned in another thread I've only had mandolins that I've built. My first mandolin, a stop gap while I was starting to build was a banjo uke, peghead holes filled and re-drilled, skin head replaced with an 1/8th inch thick piece of redwood left over from my dulcimer building days. Homemade non-adjustable bridge. First scratch built mandolin was an asymmetrical oval hole A model, crude, but better. As I've gotten better at playing, I've also gotten better at building to meet my needs. This is 40 years now, and my building and playing have improved over time. Earlier on I had thoughts about building mandolins to sell, and I have sold some, but eventually I realized that I was really just building for myself and selling the extras. That's OK too.
    Peace

9. The following members say thank you to Ken for this post:

Well I bought one of the early ‘before they were good’ Kentucky KM-630 pressed top mandolin for $200, found it was identical to the generic branded mandolin I had been borrowing, then sold it. Now I’m about to buy a $2k-$2.5k mandolin.

I hope my MAS doesn’t progress any further, especially at these price jumps I’m making

This should be good therapy for me...
    1. Weber Yellowstone- good start
    2. Moon Something A Model
    3. Unicorn A model
    4. Pomeroy F-5
    5. Kentucky KM-1500 Sumi
    6. Gil Model 1
    7. Batwing
    8. Kentucky KM-1500 Sumi
    9. Kentucky KM-Dawg Keeper
    10. Gil Model 5 Built for me keeper
    11. Campanella #100 F-5 keeper

I have a couple on my MAS list but I must save for now
    It's not an addiction... It's an investment.
    Gil #794
    Preston Thompson 2-15
    Martin D-18VS

12. The following members say thank you to Brad Grafton for this post:

Kind of interesting list, I guess.
    1) Johnson A Style. Gift from my dad only months before his death. Still have. Of course.

2) Click F5. First ordered custom build.
    Sold so I could afford another custom build.

3) Collings MT2V.
    Don’t think this one will ever leave. Bought with money from the Click, and some added funds

4) Suspected Pango prototype F5.
    SUPER Surprise. Bought it for $275 as an “out of house” mandolin. Thought it was “good for what it is”. Replaced bridge with a full contact bridge. Set the truss rod correctly. Replaced the cheap nut. Was told flatly, and directly. “No. This is a very good mandolin. I once owned a nearly $2000 mandolin. It sounded nowhere near this one.” Don’t think this one will go anywhere either. Played it a bit last night. It softly gives to you with a very light touch. And barks at you when you want to dig in.

5) Was promised by my dear wife that if I could wait two years I would be able to part with the funds for another custom build. This time it will be a Tyler White F5. It has been two years. I gladly look forward to when my name comes up on his build list.
    He has been very kind and allowed me to play each of his newly build instruments. (He live less than 10 mins from my home) I have really come to appreciate his artisanship and care for near perfection. His builds come out not only looking quite attractive, but have a sound that is very powerful. It will great to see what he comes up with.
    The wood for the back is going to be a prime piece of Quilted Maple, one piece back. Tuners will be Robson, worm over. (TYM Tom from Vermont!) The other appointments are yet to be confirmed.

I disagree with Chattachef. It is BOTH an addiction, and an investment. Both equally accepted and appreciated.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

On reading recommendations here on MC, I bought a used 09 American Breedlove A style f-hole about 5 years ago. It’s a very nice instrument and easy to play. It certainly isn’t holding me back and I haven’t felt the need to upgrade. In my hands, I really don’t think I’d sound significantly better with a different instrument. I think f-styles look cool but I can’t justify the expense for me. Now if money were no object, I’d say what the heck, why not.

1 - Joshnson F style beginner junk, sold
    2 - Morgan Monroe MMS-6 (I think), better, sold
    3 - Flatbush V4, Huge step up, sounds and plays great, made in Denmark. Still have this one
    4 - Skip Kelley F5, wanted a more traditional shape and sound F5, this thing is killer, absolutely love it
    5 - Added a couple other non-mandos: Eastman mandola (it's OK), Northfield flat top octave (love it)
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

My journey has been short:

Kentucky KM505
    Collings MT2 Italian Spruce, wide nut, cream top (a keeper)
    Build #1 from a Saga kit, given to my son
    Build #2 Griffith Loar A style (a keeper)
    Carvalho octave mandolin (on a UPS truck to me today!)
    Last edited by Rdeane; Jun-24-2020 at 9:29am. Reason: forgot the ones I built

The journey has been in a couple of parts - about a decade ago dipped into some mandolins - at that time ended up owning (in no particular order)
    Kalamazoo KM-11
    Mid Missouri M-0
    Flatiron Pancake
    Rigel A Natural.

Then just concentrated on guitar for a while. A band breakup caused me to rethink things and I decided to try mandolin again. Since that time about 3 plus years ago
    Loar 310(?) (ended up giving it away)
    Big Muddy
    Breedlove Cascade (one of the very early ones)
    1929 Gibson A Jr.
    1910 Gibson A (moved it along after some others showed up)
    Flatiron pancake
    Eastman MDO-305 (octave mando)
    2018 Collings MT
    1935 Gibson A-50 (elevated fingerboard)
    1993 Flatiron Festival
    1935 Kalamazoo KM-21

There's probably been a few others that I don't remember right now. The Junior and last 5 are all still around and get played. The Kalamazoo has a sinking top, and the tuning can move quickly day to day, but might have the best neck of all of them.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Quote Originally Posted by LastMohican View Post
    Okay, I'm actually playing it now. (Refresher: A new to me Gibson F-5L.) Tom Haywood replaced the mostly worn frets and the nut on it. We went from low to medium frets and increased the nut accordingly. D'Addario J74 strings topped everything off. It's like a new mandolin. I love the tone and sustain. While it wasn't difficult before, it's easier to play now. It was money well spent.
    David Hopkins

Found a mandolin in a junk shop. They thought it was broken because the bridge wasn't on it. The bridge was in the case. Bought it for $30. A luthier friend helped me fit the bridge. That was about 15 years ago and I have been playing it ever since. I have seen lots I would like but none that have made me reach for my wallet. Of course I am really a bass player.

$348 - $1,100 - $1,750 - $3,200 - $5,600 . . . .

21. The following members say thank you to MandoMaximus for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MandoMaximus View Post
    $348 - $1,100 - $1,750 - $3,200 - $5,600 . . . .
    Yes, MAS can result in just about exponential growth in cost, and worth every penny!

Blog Entries

Collings MT the only mandolin I will ever need. But wait, someone gave me a bowlback mandolin. A very nice old one. And then a guitar trade resulted in a very high end custom Collings MT2. Then I fell in love with a Collings mandola. (Thanks Mandolin Store). And I missed my guitar so a Larrivee Parlor guitar came aboard. I still play a couple of very nice violins. And a friend 'loaned' me his new Pono Octave mandolin and I'm picking it up today from my luthier friend who did a set up. Can't wait. Is there a psychologist here that could help???
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DougC For This Useful Post:

I had fun reading your various trips down the MAS road - Thanks to all!

I would have to give it some thought before I could write my list down, but in the meanwhile if you are interested in MAS GAS, where your infliction runs in both 6 and 8 string mode, take a look at my posts on the unofficial martin guitar forum. I paired some of my mandolins and guitars from the same years:

https://umgf.com/viewtopic.php?p=2505740#p2505740

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 9.43.02 PM.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	559.2 KB 
ID:	186970

GMeyer: Some people have twice the fun. Guess I'd better start looking for a black topped mandolin to pair with my L00, and a National Style 1 guitar to pair with my National Style 1 mandolin. Carried to your extreme MAS/GAS would probably be spelled D-I-V-O-R-C-E for me!

Good reply, clever.

Luckily my family and my wife just think I am a little crazy... and they are right.

Style 1 guitar seems like a reasonable place to start...

28. The following members say thank you to GMeyer for this post:

Suzuki bowlback
    Fender
    Breedlove
    Amateur-built Sullivan F style
    Collings MT2
    Holoubek F5
    Passernig F5 (13 years ago now)

Oval holes--that's another matter.
    Cary Fagan

Blog Entries

My progression/education/MAS experience is one that evolved into becoming a hobby seller and buyer. My love for guitars and tube amplifiers has also complicated this progression, as I also have a bad case of GAS! I have played the guitar seriously since 1962, at the age of 7, a total of 58 years. My case of MAS is a progression that began with two: a Monterey A 1960's student type in 1979 and in 1981, a Gibson A from 1913. then restarted with the first Kentucky listed below that I purchased used in 2014. Most of these, nearly all, were purchased used:
    Monterey A5 1960's
    Gibson A 1913*
    Kentucky KM200S (Japan 1980's)
    Kentucky KM650 (Japan 1980's)
    Mid Missouri Flat Top
    J Bovier A5
    Kentucky KM1000
    Gibson F9 2006
    Morris A4
    Collings MT Blonde Gloss Top
    National RM1 2005
    The Loar LM600
    Eastman MD605
    Redline Flat top
    Weber Gallatin A5
    Gibson A5G 1995
    Kentucky KM805
    Breedlove 00
    J Bovier F5 Custom
    Gibson A 1912*
    Flatiron Festival 2001 F5
    Eastman MD805V 2018
    Collings MT GT Wide Nut White Binding 2017*
    Ratliff R5 1999
    Eastman MD815V 2007*
    Strad-o-lin 1930's*
    * Own Presently
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

It all started with a Lyon and Healy Flatback about a half century ago. It had a cool butterfly pick guard below oval hole. There have been several over the years including Gibsons, Ibanez, Kentucky and I own none of them now. I do have some nice mandolins and they know more than I about what they can do.

32. The following members say thank you to Bob Buckingham for this post:

Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, I believe I have my MAS in remission. Actually, I don't call it a pandemic anymore. I refer to it as “everything going on” because it has had such a wide-reaching effect. Anyway, my last purchase was a 2001 Gibson F-5L. I had it re-fretted with medium frets because the old frets were original and small and many were worn. That also necessitated replacing the nut.

While the Gibson wasn't cheap, I did get a good deal but my MAS fund still took a big hit. Well, with everything going on, the band hasn't had a gig in several months. Even before then, we decided to take a bit of a break so it's been a longer than expected hiatus. The missing gig money hasn't allowed me to replenish the MAS fund so I'm not really looking at anything new anymore.

The fact of the matter is, however, I don't have the desire to add or change anything I have. The Gibson is an outstanding mandolin. As you can see below, I have some others. Both Breedloves also sound great and they're not going anywhere. The Gibson F-4 is also great sounding but it doesn't have the volume I want. I still play it because it's fun, easy to play and, like I said, sounds great. The McCormick electric also sounds great. I use it on stage occasionally for some of the “twangy” songs that beg for the electric sound.

Logic isn't usually held in high esteem when it comes to MAS but I've noticed two things: 1) I don't have the desire to add anything to the herd, and 2) I don't have the money (short of selling the motorhome or condo). Now, I will occasionally look at the classifieds but mostly to see the prices people are asking for their instruments. Everything is great (except for my arthritis, blood pressure and that stupid mask I have to wear sometimes but all that's for a different post.
    David Hopkins

34. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post: