Thread: Tape for K&K twin pickup

Default Tape for K&K twin pickup

Does anyone know how to get more of the tape that comes with the K&K twin pickup? Mine came loose and I need to re-tape it. Is it a generic tape that I could find elsewhere or is it something special that I might need to get direct from K&K or another specialized shop?

Default Re: Tape for K&K twin pickup

It's double sided tape, not sure if generic or special. It's why I glue them in, I don't trust the tape for long term use. PM me and I'll send you some.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I've also always glued them for that reason. I know some people like to still used the tape as it slightly buffers the strong attack of the pickup, but glue the tape to the top and the pickup with CA glue.

I also glued my pickup in, but to soften the sound like the tape I glued tape to the p/u, glued a second piece of tape to that, then glued the whole thing to the mandolin. Works very nice.

I used blue hobby putty, as recommended by another member here on a post I can't seem to find. Removable if needed, provides some cushioning like tape, and super durable so far.

I have used 3M double sided tape, the thick kind, for a mandolin that was X braced. Couldn't make it work underneath, had to be on the brace to sound good, so stuck them on the top over the brace. First I put the sticky part of the tape on my flannel shirt several times so it wouldn't pull the finish off when I removed it. Had it on for a few years before I took it off, worked pretty good, definitely a warmer sound, but I think it lost a little power.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyBTX View Post
    I used blue hobby putty, as recommended by another member here on a post I can't seem to find. Removable if needed, provides some cushioning like tape, and super durable so far.
    I've been using and recommending blue putty for quite a while. I've used it to mount JJB (very similar to K&K) pickups in several instruments (fiddles, ukulele, all mandolin family instruments, banjos, LOTS of guitars and 3 upright basses) over the past 15 years.

There it is! Thank you for your posts about that, it's working great on mine. Now all I need is some magic putty that will make my left hand and my right hand do things that are both quick and coordinated.