Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Tuners for Collings MT Mandolin (A Style)

  1. #1

    Default Tuners for Collings MT Mandolin (A Style)

    Does anyone have a source and recommendations for replacement tuners for a Collings MT2? With the curved headstock requiring different post heights on the tuning pegs, it doesn't look like most standard A style replacement tuners will work out of the box.

    Thanks everyone in advance!

  2. #2
    Moderator MikeEdgerton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    40.1646 N, 74.2083 W
    Posts
    23,581

    Default Re: Tuners for Collings MT Mandolin (A Style)

    I think it's a normal set that they just shorten the inner two button posts. There's a few threads here someplace about this. You're dealing with an esthetic not a requirement. The top and bottom posts are normal, the inner two have very little taken off them. It does look cool though. The spacing is probably standard.

    https://www.google.com/search?client...ndolincafe.com
    "Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them". These are the words of J. Garber.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:


  4. #3

    Default Re: Tuners for Collings MT Mandolin (A Style)

    Most standard A style tuning machines will work.
    I recommend Rubners. They are a big step up from the Golden Age tuners that come standard on the MT.
    https://www.rubnertuners.com/hauser-...lin%20Machines
    I put a set of Rubners on my MT and really like them.

    The MT2 come standard with Gotoh tuning machines. They are better than the Golden Age, but I still like Rubners better

  5. The following members say thank you to stevojack665 for this post:


  6. #4

    Default Re: Tuners for Collings MT Mandolin (A Style)

    Mike, you got me curious so I compared with the tuners on my Pava A. The inner two on the MT are the same peg shaft length as on the Pava, but the top and bottom button posts are longer. Spacing as you said is standard. Just a bit concerned about the clearance of the tuning buttons at the top and bottom. Using a straight edge across the bottom of the buttons there doesn't seem to be much clearance.

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I think it's a normal set that they just shorten the inner two button posts. There's a few threads here someplace about this. You're dealing with an esthetic not a requirement. The top and bottom posts are normal, the inner two have very little taken off them. It does look cool though. The spacing is probably standard.

    https://www.google.com/search?client...ndolincafe.com

  7. #5

    Default Re: Tuners for Collings MT Mandolin (A Style)

    The Rubners look beautiful! Never seen these before so thanks for the link! Did you have any issues with clearance for the tuner buttons on the top and bottom?

    Quote Originally Posted by stevojack665 View Post
    Most standard A style tuning machines will work.
    I recommend Rubners. They are a big step up from the Golden Age tuners that come standard on the MT.
    https://www.rubnertuners.com/hauser-...lin%20Machines
    I put a set of Rubners on my MT and really like them.

    The MT2 come standard with Gotoh tuning machines. They are better than the Golden Age, but I still like Rubners better

  8. #6
    Moderator MikeEdgerton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    40.1646 N, 74.2083 W
    Posts
    23,581

    Default Re: Tuners for Collings MT Mandolin (A Style)

    If the buttons on yours are removable Id love to see the difference in the length of the stems themselves without the buttons on. Most tuners sold have the specifications somewhere that show you the dimensions. You could then measure yours verses the drawings to make sure the buttons will clear. That's an ongoing challenge with F style tuners as well.

    Unfortunately Rubner doesn't give you everything in the same format as others but you can. with a little work determine dimensions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waverly-a-style-mandolin-tuners-with-ebony-knobs.jpg.gif 
Views:	11 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	186132   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RubnerASpecs.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	186131  
    "Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them". These are the words of J. Garber.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:


  10. #7

    Default Re: Tuners for Collings MT Mandolin (A Style)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawksbill Jim View Post
    The Rubners look beautiful! Never seen these before so thanks for the link! Did you have any issues with clearance for the tuner buttons on the top and bottom?
    I had no issues at all with the Rubner tuners.
    The difference in shaft length is negligible.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevojack665 For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    coprolite mandroid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Outer Spiral Arm, of Galaxy, NW Oregon.
    Posts
    16,046

    Question Re: Tuners for Collings MT Mandolin (A Style)

    The basic Schallers seem fine, no need to spend more for their Grand Tune, but its your money..

    Buy a couple F tuner sets and combine the shafts of various lengths.. to suit,

    the screws in the round gear lets them come apart. easily..





    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandroid For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •