Thread: Gold tone vs Ibanez

Default Gold tone vs Ibanez

I知 looking to get into an acoustic tenor guitar and I知 wondering what people have heard of Ibanez vs Gold Tone for a relatively inexpensive tenor tenor guitar. I知 looking at the less expensive end of the spectrum for both.
    Addicted to 4-string instruments - Ukulele was the gateway drug, followed by bass and now onto the hard stuff - tenor guitars and banjos (plus a little mandolin on the side)

Default Re: Gold tone vs Ibanez

Quote Originally Posted by PTOEguy View Post
    I’m looking to get into an acoustic tenor guitar and I’m wondering what people have heard of Ibanez vs Gold Tone for a relatively inexpensive tenor tenor guitar. I’m looking at the less expensive end of the spectrum for both.
    The Ibanez is cheaper ($200), but I've got my eye on a Gold Tone GT-18 that I can get for around $450. The question is do I get enough extra from going to a solid top Gold Tone to make it worth the extra cash.
    Addicted to 4-string instruments - Ukulele was the gateway drug, followed by bass and now onto the hard stuff - tenor guitars and banjos (plus a little mandolin on the side)

I had an Ibanez AVT2 and an AVT1 (currently for sale on this forum) and a Gold Tone TG-10. The Gold Tone TG-10 was the best of the three. The big body gave a better tone and volume. Second is the AVT1, good tone but lower volume than the Gold tone. The AVT1 is a best looking, well built of the three. I don't have many kind words for the AVT2 other than it was cheap.

Hope that helps your search.

Quote Originally Posted by neilca View Post
    I had an Ibanez AVT2 and an AVT1 (currently for sale on this forum) and a Gold Tone TG-10. The Gold Tone TG-10 was the best of the three. The big body gave a better tone and volume. Second is the AVT1, good tone but lower volume than the Gold tone. The AVT1 is a best looking, well built of the three. I don't have many kind words for the AVT2 other than it was cheap.

Hope that helps your search.
    Yes very helpful

So you get what you pay for... kind of suspected that

Per the specs on line - it appears the Gold tone is wider at the nut - did you find that to be true and did it make one more playable than the other?

I did not notice the Gold Tone being wider. They all felt the same to me.

Longer neck? I have a 23" string length AVT1-NT Ibanez

I have a tenor banjo by Gold Tone its 1/2M (500mm) string length.. less than 20"
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

For a new ENTRY LEVEL guitar, the all laminate Ibanez PFT2 is the hands down winner at $200. The yet to be released Recording King may give it competition.

The Gold Tone tenors are at another level higher. I would say the Ibanez AVT1 is at this level as well.

The AVT1 and the TG-10 are similarly priced new. The TG-10 is all laminate - bigger than a Martin & smaller than a Gibson. The Ibanez has a solid top - parlour sized. Nut widths differ by about 1.5mm.

I agree with Neil's review of the two. I also think the Ibanez AVT1 is a well built - great looking and wonderful sounding guitar. I really like the feel of the neck. Hard to beat at $330. I reccomend taking a look at his ad in the classifieds. He's asking a very fair price in my opinion. Value wise, the AVT1 is a great option.

I have no experience with the TG-18

All that being said however, if I had a $450 budget I'd look for a used Blueridge BR-60T with a hard shell case. Out performs all the above. I bought mine in March for $325 with case.

I wish you luck in your search,
    Huck

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200524_073643.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	436.4 KB 
ID:	186078
    Size Comparison
    Last edited by Huck; May-24-2020 at 6:44am. Reason: Added picture

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Huck View Post
    All that being said however, if I had a $450 budget I'd look for a used BR-60T...
    Or a used Blueridge BR-40T.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...-BR-40T-Review