Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to find a Roman/Ranieri Plectrum?

Default Re: Where to find a Roman/Ranieri Plectrum?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian560 View Post
    Clifford Essex . . . have them :

http://cliffordessex.net/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=803

By the way, I just peeked in on the Clifford Essex version and was surprised by its stumpiness, more like a weird, conjoined-twin Neapolitan plectrum than what I ordinarily think of as the Roman type. I can see why they gave Jeremy cause to gripe.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian560 View Post
    Eugene, I am curious: which Red Bear pick is most like a Neopolitan pick?
    PS: Here's a photo they sent me (1.7" long): Attachment 186197

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eugene For This Useful Post:

Thanks, I just saw your post describing it on the other page

Ralf Leenen recommends these Galli picks in his latest video:

https://www.gallistrings.com/en/acce...d-363-mandolin

6. The following members say thank you to Rob MacKillop for this post:

Eugene 

I know Galli mostly for their classical guitar strings. I had no idea Galli was distributing Neapolitan-style plectra in celluloid. Thanks, Rob!

8. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post:

Right. Leenen inspired me to try the Galli picks. I couldn't find them (online) for sale in the US. After some initial trouble I managed to register on the Galli site, but when I tried to order the picks, I got a message that Google translated as "We cannot ship to your address." Am I out of luck? Or am I missing something.

Its not a Roman/Ranieri plectrum, but I did just get this Neapolitan plectrum from Red Bear
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2065.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	582.2 KB 
ID:	186406

11. The following members say thank you to Brian560 for this post:

Any good?

I think my Galli picks are arriving tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think of them. Sorry you can't get them, Joe. I managed to order from their website.

Joe have Rob trace the Galli pick and then get yourself some celluloid and make your own. It is not so hard and fun to do. I actually prefer the tone of Ultem plastic. That is what I used for my Roman plectra.

An alternative is the antique Pettine picks which sometimes show up on eBay. I think they are basically the Neapolitan style tho there are two sizes.

Try this page for an overview.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

14. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I don't know yet, my mandolin is in the shop. Prior to this the only other Neapolitan pick I had used was the Clifford Essex horn pick. When I heard that Red Bear was making them and that Carlo Aonzo might have had some input I had to try it. I was interested in a Neapolitan pick that was accurate to the tradition. After ordering this one I discovered the Galli website.

So, I find the Red Bear a little too narrow and pointy. They work better for me after I've ground the tip down with a hook hone and then buffed with nail buffers.

I ordered some of the Galli today. Eager for their arrival.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eugene For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    So, I find the Red Bear a little too narrow and pointy. They work better for me after I've ground the tip down with a hook hone and then buffed with nail buffers.

Which thicknesses did you order?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Which thicknesses did you order?
    “95mm in their standard size of 1.7 x .65 "

Brian, are you sure? That is 3.74 inches thick?

I actually was asking Eugene about Galli picks but yours is interesting too.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Eugene -
    Could you please share with me the specific problems that the pointy tip causes for you? Your thoughts/experience would be very helpful to me. Thank you in advance.
    Tim

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Of the Galli, Jim, I ordered both the 0.7 mm and 1.0 mm thicknesses. I usually favor 0.8–0.9 mm or so, so any of their gauges are a bit of compromise that will take at least a little adjustment.

Too much point creates too much drag/snag for me, Tim. For me, that's especially difficult in creating a smooth-sounding tremolo and can result in a rather staccato-edged sound to the individual pick attacks.

Here, e.g., is an antique celluloid plectrum (I bought a gross box on a tip from Jim):

Name:	antique celluloid.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	186423

The shape and size are ideal for me, but the thickness is way too slight and floppy.

Here's my favorite in antique sea turtle:

Name:	antique sea turtle.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	186424

Its thickness is perfect (this one is just over 0.8 mm). Its profile and point geometry used to be ideal, but I've been grinding (and regrinding) at this one for a decade now, and it's a bit too blunt. Each of the above is/was about 1.5"/3.8 cm long.

You can see the Red Bear and Galli Neapolitan profiles earlier in this thread. I like Red Bear's material. I like Galli's profile (with the caveat that I've not laid hands to a Galli plectrum in person yet). I can continue to shape Ultem Gold plastic to my own tastes if necessary. It's certainly cheaper than synthetic Tortis or importing small quantities of celluloid directly from Italy (at least before you calculate the value of my time).

23. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post:

Too much point creates too much drag/snag for me, Tim. For me, that's especially difficult in creating a smooth-sounding tremolo and can result in a rather staccato-edged sound to the individual pick attacks.
    Eugene - that WAS helpful! Your description is EXACTLY what I have been experiencing while attempting to use a pointy BC large Jazz pick. I have struggled to improve the use of that pick with tremolo. I like the bright preciseness the pick allows otherwise. The pick I find that balances everything for me is an EML "classic pointed" shape with a rounded edge, no bevel. Although it may appear a bit pointed it is head over heals easier to use than the BC jazz. For certain pieces I would like to learn to use the jazz pick, but your professional level input helps me (the neophyte) have a much better perspective on it! Thank you.

Here is a picture of the EML pick (casein):

Name:	D5BB929C-F49D-4E57-86DA-434B6364A86A.png 
Views:	115 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	186427

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

My pleasure, Tim. Pluck on!

26. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post:

And, in the interest of full disclosure, I am indeed a professional, but a professional fisheries biologist. Cheers!

28. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post:

Eugene - let us rephrase it: "accomplished" (grin)

(I rest my case:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PVUdnsEW6wg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6iJTuOp1Q70 )

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

With a red face I have to report that I did manage to order from the Galli site. Can't say why this was so problematic for me?!?! In any case, I think I'll take Jim up on his suggestion to make my own. Thanks.

Well, my two-packs of Galli plectra arrived half an hour ago. I chose the 70mm medium and the 100mm heavy. They seem good-quality, and cheap with 6 in each pack. The 100mm is warm, the 70mm has greater definition and cutting edge. I'm quite impressed, and will spend some time with each.

I must have tried ten or so picks these last few weeks, at various price points from cheap as chips to too embarrassing to mention, and so far two have elevated themselves above the others, and both in the cheap as chips category! First is the Dunlop Ultex Sharp at 0.73, and the second is the Galli 70mm/100mm depending on musical situation.

I'm on a Ranieri tremolo-fest at the moment, just to help get my right hand sorted, and the Ultex gets me the most relaxed-sounding, even tremolo. Of course, tremolo isn't everything, and can drive neighbours and spouses to attacks of extreme violence, but I've noticed less blood is extracted from my head when I use the Ultex. Possibly the Galli will be equally life-preserving.

PS Thanks to DavidKOS for mentioning the Ultex.

32. The following members say thank you to Rob MacKillop for this post:

Ooofh. I need to record and post better vids.

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Just tried to order some plectrums from Galli’s Website and can’t seem to checkout.
    The picks are sitting in my cart but that’s as far as I can get, even after I registered.
    Oh well, guess I’ll stick with my Wolle plectrums...
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

If you are in the UK Clifford Essex also do the Dogal mandolin picks, I prefer these on on my light strung vintage mandolin.

http://www.cliffordessex.net/index.p...&productId=809

The delivery on the Galli seemed a bit nose bleeding.
    Last edited by derbex; Jun-09-2020 at 9:01am.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?