Thread: Reading mandolin music score by NOT using TABS

Smile Reading mandolin music score by NOT using TABS

Hi, Can anyone advise please.
    I can read music for the piano accordion and I learnt to read music the traditional way. I did not learn by using TABS. Is there a book that teaches mandolin music that does not use TABS. Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by clownhall; May-22-2020 at 6:43am. Reason: bad spelling

2. The following members say thank you to clownhall for this post:

Default Re: Reading mandolin music score by NOT using TABS

Most, if not all,all, of the books I own have both. Will that work for you or is the tab a distraction that you're trying to avoid?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Hall View Post
    Most, if not all,all, of the books I own have both. Will that work for you or is the tab a distraction that you're trying to avoid?
    Just curious - are those books mostly for Bluegrass, roots music, etc.?

I think Marilyn Mair’s “The Complete Mandolinist” is standard notation only, but am just remembering that through Cafe discussion, so, apologies if I’m incorrect. This book gets some complimentary feedback on this site, FWIW.
    Chuck

7. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    I think Marilyn Mair’s “The Complete Mandolinist” is standard notation only, but am just remembering that through Cafe discussion, so, apologies if I’m incorrect. This book gets some complimentary feedback on this site, FWIW.
    True, this book is notation only. No matter what genre one is interested in, this book is full of scales and exercises that are well worth your time.

Hi Jon
    I'm happy to look at any tutor books that combine using both tradition music with TABS. It's just that I've been taught to read music for the accordion. I'm really looking for guidance in trying to understand how mandolin music is presented. Everywhere else on internet its showing every piece of music using TABS.

Mostly but Dix Bruce has mandolin books that contain other genera: jazz standards, celtic and world music.

11. The following members say thank you to Jon Hall for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

You didn’t mention a genre, but if the music you’re finding is “only tabs” I assume you’re looking for/finding some type of folk music? If so, you might consider using the Tabledit program, because (1) large libraries of music exist in that format, and (2) you can show either or both (std & or Tab) as you desire and (3) you can easily write your own music with it.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

13. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Try Alberts Learn to Play Mandolin. Very easy to do and certainly not rocket science. I experimented with Tab and found it cumbersome and nearly impossible to sight read. At least for me. Also, for tunes I had never heard I could not get it.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Blog Entries

If you're into folk tunes you can go to Nigel gatherer's wonderful collections and choose the standard notation option.
    http://www.nigelgatherer.com/tunes/tow.html He really has put an absolute gem of a site together there.

You can also go to http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/ and choose the genre

For Scandinavian tunes try https://bluerose.karenlmyers.org/wp/

Then for a great collection of compositions and learning materials https://www.astute-music.com/store/c8/Mandolin.html#/
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

16. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

Hi David KOS
    Thank you for this brilliant information and links. Am I allowed to print them of, if so, how do I do this. I can't find the print button. The one thats caught my eye is the National Self Teach. The other links areally good but this one catches my eye.

18. The following members say thank you to clownhall for this post:

Also pretty much any music for the violin is easy to read on the mandolin. There are many avenues to go down there. For example, my mate Alexis has got us doing some of Mazart's piano - violin sonatas and they are really fun!

Billy

billypackardmandolin cafe
    On youtube @ The Duo Lynx
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Yes, violin music and I believe that flute music is also in the same range. There are free downloads for many classical pieces on IMSLP.org. Also our friend Michael in Germany has many older mandolin methods some with free download links here.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

21. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Hi Beanzi
    I have found Nigel Gatherer tutorial to be very good. Thank you for pointing me in his direction. I have 2 source of tutorials now, yours and "National Self Teacher"
    Thank you and very best regards
    Norman

I read music also (started with piano,) and at times find TAB annoying. At times it can be useful though, as sometimes I have difficulty figuring out the most efficient fingering for a passage, and in that case TAB can be useful (as in the best way to get from "here" to "there.") I too like "the Complete Mandolinist," and highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    You didn’t mention a genre, but if the music you’re finding is “only tabs” I assume you’re looking for/finding some type of folk music? If so, you might consider using the Tabledit program, because (1) large libraries of music exist in that format, and (2) you can show either or both (std & or Tab) as you desire and (3) you can easily write your own music with it.
    Another vote for TablEdit. If you don't know how to read standard notation, it's a great way to learn. You can pick an easy tune you know, and slow it way down. There's also practice exercises in different keys.

But if you're like the OP, who already reads, there's a large sampling of tunes with standard notation. I also want to mention Mandolessons.com. It's a great website with lots of tunes and play along tracks. He posts both tabs and standard notation for the songs. It's a free site, but he does accept donations.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.