Thread: Classical Mandolin Videos

Default Classical Mandolin Videos

Hey everyone,

My name is Jordan and I have been a frequent visitor to the cafe for about as long as I can remember. I run the Mandolin department at a shop in Lexington Massachusetts called The Music Emporium and am by all counts a super nerd. I have decided to take all this time at home to tackle some of the tougher classical pieces on Mando and thought I would share them with you. If there is anyone else out there doing this kind of stuff feel free to add to the pile

This first piece I am stumbling through is the first movement of a solo violin sonata titled "Obsession" written by Eugene Ysaye. The story I heard is that after seeing a performance of Bach's Violin Sonatas and Partitas, Eugene was inspired to write his own Sonata about playing Bach's Sonatas. Meta, I know. The piece references the Bach E major prelude note for note all over the place, and the second re occurring theme is the almost comically placed "Dies Irae" (the Gregorian chant for The Day of Judgement). I will post more videos as I finish the pieces, I hope you enjoy this one!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to santjo24 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Classical Mandolin Videos

And here is the second movement!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to santjo24 For This Useful Post:

Groovy. I love Ysa˙e's sonatas . . . especially because I don't feel obliged to play them. Exhausting. Congratulations for this fine effort.

Amazing playing, Jordon. Good to see you here. I had already commented on the first movement video, and shared it on a classical-guitar forum, though those guys can't take the unique sound of the mandolin! But keep up the great work you are doing!

Well done, thanks.