Thread: T-I strings for K4 type Mandocello

Default T-I strings for K4 type Mandocello

I'm wondering if anyone out there has tried Thomastik strings on a K4 type Mandocello. I love them on my Eastman 605, but I'm concerned about volume, as the gauges in the listed set (1804) seem to be much lighter than the d'addarios the instrument came with.

Default Re: T-I strings for K4 type Mandocello

Quote Originally Posted by Samanthra View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone out there has tried Thomastik strings on a K4 type Mandocello. I love them on my Eastman 605, but I'm concerned about volume, as the gauges in the listed set (1804) seem to be much lighter than the d'addarios the instrument came with.
    I love the TI's on my Eastman mando as well. I also tried the flat-wound heavy set offered here at mandolin café. They seem noticeably louder than the TI's. They are a very good string, nearly as nice as the TI's, and, being a whole lot less expensive than the TI's, might be worth a try.

3. The following members say thank you to meow-n-dolin for this post:

Thanks, meow-n-dolin. Where do I find said heavy flats for my 'cello on this site? Am noob.

Thomastik only makes one set of mandocello strings, set 1804. So you don't have the choice of light/medium/heavy, like you do for mandolins.

I use Thomastik strings (and only Thomastik strings) on my Lyon and Healy mandocello. I play classical. The strings are quieter than wound strings, but the sound is so much better (and the strings last a long, long, long time) that I don't care. You might feel differently, if you are playing trad music in a pub or something.

I live in fear that Thomastik will someday discontinue these strings, and then my happiness will be gone.

Possibly meo-n-dolin is referring to these strings: http://www.emando.com/shop/strings_cello.htm
    Last edited by Nat; May-21-2020 at 6:11pm.

6. The following members say thank you to Nat for this post:

Hey, Nat, that's quite a testimonial. How's the sustain?
    As I say, I love the feel and sound of them on my mando. And as you say, I'm years into this set and they still sound as good if not better than new. Also on my fretless Precision. I'm actually interested in a darker, less bright tone for the 'cello. If there is no sacrifice in sustain, I might have to give them a try, even at the price. Thanks for the link to the other flats.
    I hope you have a more secure basis for joy than strings.

Quote Originally Posted by Samanthra View Post
    Thanks, meow-n-dolin. Where do I find said heavy flats for my 'cello on this site? Am noob.
    "Possibly meo-n-dolin is referring to these strings: http://www.emando.com/shop/strings_cello.htm" Yes, those are the ones to which I am referring.